Is It Time to Pull the Plug  

Gonzo the Face

1 hour ago, Teak said:

He spent 20 years supporting a Thai family and expecting to eventually 'cash in' on his 20 year investment. 

So he was not really supporting them or giving them anything other than a loan which he intended to cash in in the future.  All just a business trade for him but of course he was telling them otherwise.  So warm and loving, perhaps he is getting just what he deserves.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

The building needs to be ground up designed as a hotel.. foyer, fire escapes, railings set heights, etc etc.. 

They have retrofitted hotel rules which are impossible to economically impose, on a guesthouse industry that existed and created tourist Thailand over decades, very unfair. While at the same time turning a blind eye to the nightly villa rentals and airbnb accommodation which has the exact same lack of license. Guesthouse is easier to see !! I do note that registered Homestays are exempt, maybe a loophole there. 

Thanks for your reply and explanation.

I've read before that registration is a case of number of rooms and number of people that can be accommodated – something like that, quoted from hearth – so having one, or a few (I think it's four) rooms for rent, you don't need a registration. I think it also has to do with the length of rent, i.e. less than one month might be considered "hotel".

On 7/22/2020 at 5:39 PM, Captain Monday said:

Next years new normal will likely require prepaid itineraries where, Westerners at least, will be confined to resorts for 14 days or strictly led by the hand on minded tours where they have no contact with random locals and taken only to facilities owned by influential people. Definitely not foreign managed or owned.

I hope they don't start getting silly like this with Bhutan-style holidays, but it's no secret those currently in power want a complete overhaul of the scene. And what better way than to use the current 'crisis' as a means to decimate the status quo and start over...

On 7/23/2020 at 2:24 PM, JimGant said:

Because there may be a tourist influx to Thailand due to it's superior handling of the covid19 problem.

as it happens, there is zero tourist influx  to thailand due to thailands shutdown and lockdown,

bravo thailand

• Like 1

Unfortunate to read about the OP's predicament but as other's have asked, does he own or rent the property? Maks a huge difference.

Watching the Thai "vlogging genre" on YouTube it seems the only influx of tourist's will be those living on benefit's off the backs of the hard pressed taxpayer. Then there are the scammer's, BS artist's and creature's soaking up the culture of Pattaya with their endless live stream begathon's.

• Haha 1

The property is in a great local right on the river. These sort of places do great for the young Thai kids and and adults for drinking, but it takes a good theme and a little bit of cash to make or convert something that is ok. That would be the way I would go or a Thai food gimmick. A GH and foreign food is a gone thing.

BTW. One of the best sellers in CM now is a Thai place that sells larb. Open later afternoon and is packed. 

Edited by holy cow cm

On 7/26/2020 at 1:53 PM, daveAustin said:

I hope they don't start getting silly like this with Bhutan-style holidays, but it's no secret those currently in power want a complete overhaul of the scene. And what better way than to use the current 'crisis' as a means to decimate the status quo and start over...

It surely will be like this "for the foreseeable future" as reported by the MOTS today.

The replacement which will begin Sept 26 once all short term amnesty farangs shown the door will be the perfect time to formulate a whole new set of rules, and not limited to holidaymakers, I believe, the goal posts for retirement and living with Thai "wife" will be changed too. The powers that be are taking their cues form China and Vietnam, the theme Foreigners (Western long-stay) Out!  Watch This Space.

Edited by Captain Monday

Not intending to derail topic but wouldn't surprise me at all. Aside from likely ugly entry requirements of the china-19 era, expect million baht in bank for marrieds, retirement visas from 60+ etc, together with an increased xenophobic undercurrent propagated by a dubious government. Going forward, limited (number and movement) elite-type visas will probably be the only option.

I am just so glad I got to experience the real Thailand.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Not intending to derail topic but wouldn't surprise me at all. Aside from likely ugly entry requirements of the china-19 era, expect million baht in bank for marrieds, retirement visas from 60+ etc, together with an increased xenophobic undercurrent propagated by a dubious government. Going forward, limited (number and movement) elite-type visas will probably be the only option.

I am just so glad I got to experience the real Thailand.

I think you have that all correct & would add that it will be much more than likely that ALL long stay visa renewals will soon need proof of insurance & they

can use the whole covid story as reason enough

Lastly I agree with your "glad to have experienced the real Thailand" before all the nonsense started. It will remain in my memory

as a great period in my life.

10 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

It surely will be like this "for the foreseeable future" as reported by the MOTS today.

The replacement which will begin Sept 26 once all short term amnesty farangs shown the door will be the perfect time to formulate a whole new set of rules, and not limited to holidaymakers, I believe, the goal posts for retirement and living with Thai "wife" will be changed too. The powers that be are taking their cues form China and Vietnam, the theme Foreigners (Western long-stay) Out!  Watch This Space.

Yep. More hoops to jump. Just look at how the retirement folk are and have been treated and now cannot even get back in. Let's hope it is not jumping too high for everyone who has some sort of connection here.

5 hours ago, meechai said:

I think you have that all correct & would add that it will be much more than likely that ALL long stay visa renewals will soon need proof of insurance & they

can use the whole covid story as reason enough

Lastly I agree with your "glad to have experienced the real Thailand" before all the nonsense started. It will remain in my memory

as a great period in my life.

Been saying this all along that they are going to implement that everyone have insurance. I can buy it as throw away and have been planning to for over a year now before I reach 60 and have to take a medical exam. I am not finished here at all, but yes am happy to have been in the mix of the real fun Thailand from before too. Just ain't fun like it used to be.

Hi there,

I’ve read your OP and most of the replies coming your way.

I think you know what you want to do.

i guess you could throw some I Ching coins or get some woo-woo psychic/astrological/spiritual consultations... but I don’t think there’s anybody who can advise you financially.

In my heart, I think you already know what you want to do.  If not, I’d say meditate on it.

Please keep us posted!

Sending you warm wishes.