Japanese restaurant fined Bt50,000 for promoting alcohol

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Bob A Kneale said:

What have Pakistan's laws got to do with Thailand, are you suggesting that Pakistan is a better, more rational place in which to live?  Geez...

When it comes to this alcohol law then yes, pakistan is a lot more rational.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sujo said:

Then why dont they go fine every bar. They dont, they use obscure laws to get money, thats all it is. That you refuse to understand it is a matter for you.

Next they will be checking everyone to see if they are wearing underpants.

But if they blitZ all bars people here will be moaning they aint out catching real criminals.... tough crowd here on TV.

I am just flabbergasted at his nonsense of Government idiocy. Did someone get some pocket $ from turning them in? They should have just warned them of their mistake regarding one of the most moronic Thai laws there is. Why didn't they just go in with their guns shooting and kill them. 50,000 is the same as that in this virus day and age.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

But if they blitZ all bars people here will be moaning they aint out catching real criminals.... tough crowd here on TV.

I get the feeling if they start going around all the bars then nobody will go in, people will just stay home to me the police are just looking for any excuse I could be sitting there on my own having a beer with a tiger label on the glass is it going to cost me 50k or the owner of the bar for giving it me?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I get the feeling if they start going around all the bars then nobody will go in, people will just stay home to me the police are just looking for any excuse I could be sitting there on my own having a beer with a tiger label on the glass is it going to cost me 50k or the owner of the bar for giving it me?

Its certainly possible. Also a reason I no longer mention beer or show pics of beer on my facebook page.

• Confused 1

In Netherlands there was a time where it was allowed to promote tobacco, now they are left with alcohol signs.

CafeDeToogAmsterdam9.jpg.2683d211c97961476b736b89a73d1cf7.jpg

image.png.151c46c59f5608ad0807e78f5ded561b.png

When the alcohol signs had to leave, how to promote... awful

walking-street-pattaya.jpg.e9ac87fcb31deddb2d5f89705ab95a77.jpg

Which is not ugly, this is one street, the Walking Street. But everywhere like this? No thanks.

The Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2008 states that it is prohibited to advertise alcoholic brands in a way which induct people to drink.

For displaying just the symbol from the company is allowed.

So a print on a thirt, a big Singha on a building or poster, which is all good.

But not on glasses or showing bottles in the adverts.

Cheer-Girls-promoting-Chang-Beer-in-Thailand-Source-mythailandcom.png.7cd70dc5678b32b8cd89b791b06772fc.png

This would be allowed

the-game-chang-special-promo-1.jpg.7902025c283a3b25abe66b1c7b44a7bd.jpg

This not.

In 2017 the ban on promoting in public was effectively enforced. Check this report .

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Its certainly possible. Also a reason I no longer mention beer or show pics of beer on my facebook page.

You have somewhat of a point there....  As far fetched as it may seem, it is not completely inconceivable that ‘someone’ gets pulled up under the ‘computer crimes act’ for posting photos of beer...  We’ve seen worse. 

I know, very far fetched, but we live in a country where people (elders) are jailed under drugs offences for forging for mushrooms. Parents are Jailed for replying to a post with a simple ‘yes’ under lesse Majesty Laws. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36944205

(actually released by royal pardon after serving 18months).

4 hours ago, drbeach said:

Indeed. What a stupid law. Thailand is fast becoming a worse nanny state than even Australia. Give it a few years and even driving will be less of a pleasure than it currently is in Australia.

But the difference is that Thailand is kind of a dumbo, childish nanny state. You have all these restrictions on the sale of alcohol, but they haven't figured out yet that they could instead restrict alcohol sales to a few controlled sales channels (like liquor stores) rather than allowing 7-11s to sell them, and asking for ID to verify proof of age in all cases. This would be more effective at curbing underage drinking while still allowing adults to enjoy their vice.

Driving is more of a pleasure in Thailand than Australia ????   Are you taking the <deleted> ?

18 minutes ago, Creasy said:

Driving is more of a pleasure in Thailand than Australia ????   Are you taking the <deleted> ?

Love driving here compared to Aus, relaxed drink driving enforcement and very relaxed speeding enforcement, yes I do average 8 to 10 speeding tickets a month but they are chump change compared to the same in Aus (180km/h in a 120 zone is only bt.500.00 !!).

Then there is the give no farks attitude one can drive with if feeling like a spirited run, nothing bring a bigger smile to my face than carving the evening traffic on the 7 motorway coming home from work, then there's some roll racing on Friday and Saturday nights in high performance cars...

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

This week we had two bars in Bintabaht Hua Hin fined the same, 50k for promoting happy hour. Also some other bars warned about selling alcohol between 2 and 5.

We introduced a happy hour to try to bring in custom. Now we have wiped all boards, and removed every beer mat, beer cloth, and coasters, along with all the glasses that have transfers on them ( cider, leo, etc ). We even removed the price list, and now have it behind the bar if a customer asks.

Yes, we all know this law has been around for a long time, but haven't bar and restaurants suffered enough?

As has been mentioned, it is simply a way of the police trying to recoup the losses of 4 months shutdown.

Thailand simply is not the carefree, happy, relaxed place it used to be.

You did everything you can do. Why are the Beer Companies allowed to advertise and hold beer gardens and fun fairs and concerts? Don't think they make money on 11 Baht bottles of soda water.

This all must be banned and alcohol should only be sold in unmarked cans and bottles with plain 

lettering, same for the taps otherwise this is all hypocrisy and a fine excuse for Police to fleece Restaurants.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

You did everything you can do. Why are the Beer Companies allowed to advertise and hold beer gardens and fun fairs and concerts? Don't think they make money on 11 Baht bottles of soda water.

This all must be banned and alcohol should only be sold in unmarked cans and bottles with plain 

lettering, same for the taps otherwise this is all hypocrisy and a fine excuse for Police to fleece Restaurants.

You mean like singha being the biggest golf sponsors in thailand and promotions like this.

https://www.theodmgroup.com/singha-beer-promos-bank-golf-outing-gifts/

18 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Why is it "so funny"?  Is it advertising Leo alcoholic drinks?

Well,  Leo is a wellrecognized brand of beer in Thailand.  They are not clearly advertising beer,  but I think that is what people would think and that's the loophole in the law.  so that's what is funny,  how one restaurant gets fined because they "promote" beer,  but these big companies openly and freely promote their brand without penalty.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Well,  Leo is a wellrecognized brand of beer in Thailand.  They are not clearly advertising beer,  but I think that is what people would think and that's the loophole in the law.  so that's what is funny,  how one restaurant gets fined because they "promote" beer,  but these big companies openly and freely promote their brand without penalty.

There's a difference between a restaurant illegally promoting an alcoholic drink, beer, and a brewery legally advertising it's bottled water.  It's not a loophole in the law.