BANGKOK
snoop1130

Japanese restaurant fined Bt50,000 for promoting alcohol

Posted (edited)

The pre-pandemic beer promotion girls have disappeared from the W District Night Market in Bangkok. But the menus still have brand photos. They will likely disappear soon though. What's next? Beer logos covered over on the draft taps. Pull-down shutters on the hard liquor shelves like the cigarette shelves?

Actually, I don't know if this is deliberate or not, but the hard liquors have been removed from the outdoor service bar related to the Cheers pub. Staff have to walk all the way to the enclosed Cheers pub to get whiskey, rum, vodka, etc., unlike past practices. Insane!

And what about all the pop-up Chang promotion locations out Phra Khanong and other spots? Oh, right, the power of monopolies. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
Addtions.

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

You can have a girl in a tight Chang dress (to promote Soda water😘)

but a picture of a beer on a menu or a Chang mug is prohibited? 

These rules are enforced in a way that is quite arbitrary by the way, 

and I imagine completely ineffective in reducing alcohol consumption.

Just what I was thinking. Up here there is what is called M J Market , not too sure if it goes past midnight but that is not important.  There is a Chang tent , Chang beer mats and Chang pretties in Chang T shirts , the town mayor allows it  , funny thing is I can't stand Chang beer.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The law prohibits the promotion of alcoholic drinks or stimulating the thirst for drinks via discounts.

Sheesh, imagine how many more the 30k death every year would increase from drunken driving if they did !

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Great, so you agree he broke the law and was punsished accordingly, not sure why all the butthurt.

speaking of butthurt I got 8 speeding fines in the mail yesterday, such an inane law lacking any sort of real substance that does not change, improve or affect anything.... I should make a thread crying about it.

No. Just ignore them as most of us do, and most of the nation does. Again, we are going back to the validity and sensibility of a law? Does 80kph on the elevated toll roads make sense? Does 90kph on divided four lane highways make sense? Do these silly speed limits make the nation safer? With over 6,000 fatalities within the first six months of the year, on the roads, I would argue not. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, johng said:

Another stupid thing I read is that soda water is not for sale during the no alcohol sales times/days :crazy:

How about this one, In 7/11 Heineken zero no alcohol beer cannot be sold, jing jing

Unfortunately, I don't stay in that area, I like to diner there once to help him a bit in this hard times.

Unbelievable, 50 thousand baht.

Like that great Kiwi No1 hit by OMC....    How Bizarre

They dont seem to enforce this law in Phuket I just had a drive around my area and there is quite a lot of beer signs hanging outside of bars 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Happy endings are allowed but no happy hours ^^

Maybe he have to change the sign to "Happy Endings"

A word is enough to the wise.

And police can't catch him that way.

• Like 1

So they have found an alternative way of shutting down businesses that managed to survive the COVID-19 closures.  Brilliant minds at work.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, YetAnother said:

ridiculous policy; beer-making-at-home big business grower these days

...and illegal.

Edited by Bob A Kneale

17 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

If you promote Cider and call it apple juice, everything is fine.

That's what you think.

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

the fact that those laws in the first place are asinine, idiotic, moronic, illogical, nonsensical, stupid (I think I’ve made my point)...

Fact?  Huh?  That's just your subjective opinion, it's not fact.

43 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Just ignore them as most of us do, and most of the nation does. Again, we are going back to the validity and sensibility of a law? Does 80kph on the elevated toll roads make sense? Does 90kph on divided four lane highways make sense? Do these silly speed limits make the nation safer? With over 6,000 fatalities within the first six months of the year, on the roads, I would argue not. 

I do ignore the speed limits but the fines that arrive in the mail I pay, would annoy me no end to not being able to renew road tax and have to pay an additional too !!