Japanese restaurant fined Bt50,000 for promoting alcohol

snoop1130

On 7/23/2020 at 6:21 PM, Don Mega said:

Love driving here compared to Aus, relaxed drink driving enforcement and very relaxed speeding enforcement, yes I do average 8 to 10 speeding tickets a month but they are chump change compared to the same in Aus (180km/h in a 120 zone is only bt.500.00 !!).

Then there is the give no farks attitude one can drive with if feeling like a spirited run, nothing bring a bigger smile to my face than carving the evening traffic on the 7 motorway coming home from work, then there's some roll racing on Friday and Saturday nights in high performance cars...

10 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Your support law breakers ?

Why are you on such a high horse about advertising beer when you openly and deliberately admit to breaking the laws on speeding.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Why are you on such a high horse about advertising beer when you openly and deliberately admit to breaking the laws on speeding.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

What high horse ?

I break the law and pay the consequence do you ?

going out tonight in a 1000HP supra, cant wait !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

What high horse ?

I break the law and pay the consequence do you ?

going out tonight in a 1000HP supra, cant wait !!

Unlike you I don't need to break the law so I have no consequence to pay.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

Unlike you I don't need to break the law so I have no consequence to pay.

so why are you chewing my <deleted> then ?

FWIW, i dont need to do it either but damn its fun and the fines are a pittance !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Sad 2

On 7/23/2020 at 5:40 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You have somewhat of a point there....  As far fetched as it may seem, it is not completely inconceivable that ‘someone’ gets pulled up under the ‘computer crimes act’ for posting photos of beer...  We’ve seen worse. 

I know, very far fetched, but we live in a country where people (elders) are jailed under drugs offences for forging for mushrooms. Parents are Jailed for replying to a post with a simple ‘yes’ under lesse Majesty Laws. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36944205

(actually released by royal pardon after serving 18months).

If you dive deeper in the whole story you will find out that the couple also cut illegally many trees in a forest. They didn´t get the 5 years fine only for the mushrooms.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

There's a difference between a restaurant illegally promoting an alcoholic drink, beer, and a brewery legally advertising it's bottled water.  It's not a loophole in the law.

But they are not advertising water.  They are advertising their brand.  A brand associated with alcohol. They use water as an excuse.  There is no water in the picture.

1 minute ago, Naamblar2014 said:

But they are not advertising water.  They are advertising their brand.  A brand associated with alcohol. They use water as an excuse.  There is no water in the picture.

I personally think Singha Water taste better than Chang.... both their alcoholic beverages are rancid though and should  be avoided.

On 7/24/2020 at 2:38 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

There's a difference between a restaurant illegally promoting an alcoholic drink, beer, and a brewery legally advertising it's bottled water.  It's not a loophole in the law.

Call it what you like , although its illegal to advertise alcohol , beer companies advertise their beer  products by adding the words "mineral" in small letters .

Were Chang/Leo allowed to get away with it or did the Gov stop them ?  

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Call it what you like , although its illegal to advertise alcohol , beer companies advertise their beer  products by adding the words "mineral" in small letters .

Were Chang/Leo allowed to get away with it or did the Gov stop them ?  

Can you post some advertising material with the word mineral please, ive not seen that before.

13 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Ahhh on water advertisements, I thought you was talking about beer advertisements.

Of course they were advertising beer , or was it just a coincidence tht just after the ban on beer advertising , Chang bought out a new water product and began a campaign to advertise water in the same colours and style of the beer adverts ?

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Of course they were advertising beer , or was it just a coincidence tht just after the ban on beer advertising , Chang bought out a new water product and began a campaign to advertise water in the same colours and style of the beer adverts ?

Its called marketing genius.

On 7/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, spidermike007 said:

Such nonsense. By an administration that is so misled. And instead of real policy, what do we end up with? 

An utter and complete unwillingness to tackle the scams, and corruption in general, or the traffic and public safety issues, the lack of a competent and effective police force, that foreigners and locals can count on, when they need them.

The environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism.

The inept military government, who nobody likes, and most people despise, haphazard and xenophobic immigration policy, meant to deter tourism, and ex-pats, rather than encourage them, racist ranting from the government, often directed at tourists and ex-pats and a nonsensical nationalistic agenda, that is pure politics.

As always, 100% total sense from spidermike007, I propose you for PM of this land! Is there a Thai equivalent of you? A force for good for sure. When will this country realise that there is a better way.

If promoting alcohol consumption is so unlawful then surely the sale of the product should be banned. Everyday I see many sitting drinking at street corners, pavements, beaches, restaurants and bars. 

9 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

As always, 100% total sense from spidermike007, I propose you for PM of this land! Is there a Thai equivalent of you? A force for good for sure. When will this country realise that there is a better way.

If promoting alcohol consumption is so unlawful then surely the sale of the product should be banned. Everyday I see many sitting drinking at street corners, pavements, beaches, restaurants and bars. 

Thank you for your kindness. I would have no interest, even if the opportunity were handed to me! National leadership only attracts the lowest of the low, worldwide these days. We see all too many examples of that. The days of nobility are behind us. 

This law is very strange I think I know that restaurant in cnx.In a side st where mostly chinese stay in a hotel next door.Not a Place where lots of tourist will gather except to eat sushi.From what i see advertising any kind of beer or spirits is a no no.just like the freebies they used to give you if u owned the bar.this happens in cm and it seems every other big city seems to get away with it.In bkk they put out signs and then what is on offer everywhere,but not there.I could never understand , a bar sells spirits and beers and never allowed to put out a sign telling you the price or what brand.Along with ash trays or glasses.these days are gone  also the the promo nights and bar girls  from chang or singa are all gone.shame this happens in cnx

On 7/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, spidermike007 said:

Such nonsense. By an administration that is so misled. And instead of real policy, what do we end up with? 

An utter and complete unwillingness to tackle the scams, and corruption in general, or the traffic and public safety issues, the lack of a competent and effective police force, that foreigners and locals can count on, when they need them.

The environmental issues, and so many other causes, are all having an impact on tourism.

The inept military government, who nobody likes, and most people despise, haphazard and xenophobic immigration policy, meant to deter tourism, and ex-pats, rather than encourage them, racist ranting from the government, often directed at tourists and ex-pats and a nonsensical nationalistic agenda, that is pure politics.

I do like it when you list all my pet hates, Mike. It saves me having to do it.

Don Mega, you are way out of your depth or just trolling... whatever.

On 7/26/2020 at 1:18 PM, Don Mega said:

Its called marketing genius.

You are just an spiteful old codger.
The section 32 law makes about as much sense as not allowing Thai Craft Beer to be made in Thailand.  These are Small Business's that could bring in tax revenue.  This is not allowed due to the large beverage company monopolies not wanting any competition.  Now the large beverage companies put out their own Craft Beer and put on labels looking like "western" names.  Is this great marketing too after they have killed any and all small business competition?

• Thanks 1

I went to this place without thinking about this situation (it was close to where I was) and the food was dreadful. Every dish was unpalatable. The place was not very clean and very cluttered. I would give this place 1 out of 5 stars.