Do AIS shops offer discounts for buying phones if you have a work permit?

webber4

If buying one or two phones, No. Acting as a purchasing agent for a large company and planning to purchase 50 or more, maybe. Otherwise you're looking at the normal promotions like every one else.

Maybe you're thinking of signing up for a PostPay account (that requires having a work permit)?

Edited by RichCor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They have (small) discounts but you have to subscribe to very expensive monthly plans, all in all you end up paying more. If you need a big package, then it might be convenient for you(I recall the iPhone at around 18000 instead of 24000). 

57 minutes ago, yankee99 said:

Yes true move does but its based on post paid acct not wp.  I got a new P30 pro for around 9000 baht. Same plan i had no increase only had to agree to keep my service 12 months which i would have anyhow. 

But these are not actually a discount, just a way of finance, the phone is subsidized by the monthly fee.

If you had bought the phone cash and gotten a cheap prepaid sim card, in total it would have cost you less.

19 minutes ago, jackdd said:

But these are not actually a discount, just a way of finance, the phone is subsidized by the monthly fee.

If you had bought the phone cash and gotten a cheap prepaid sim card, in total it would have cost you less.

No 

I have the same plan (same price) with or without a new phone. The only difference is i have to maintain my plan for 12 months. If i had to pay more then i was previously paying you are correct im financing the phone. 

You can get a phone on up to 50% off if you sign a 12 month contract. Their prices are shown on their website (along with how much phone would cost you if you sign the contract). It's no point doing it unless you need high data plans or included calls.

https://store.ais.co.th/en/mobile-phone.html?intcid=getpage-en-header_menu-consumer_menu-phone_device_submenu1-online_store_submenu2-smartphone_submenu3

Snapshot for tasting:

image.png.9244d7d0f4f518c4e19275c3b4a06f9e.png

Note though that basically you'll pay the price of the phone (advertised + difference to full price) in advance, but then get that difference "refunded" as discounts to your monthly payments. Example above: you'd pay 16.900 for iPhone XS (256 GB) + "deposit" of 10,600 baht = 27500 list price. But then your next 10 monthly statements would each have a discount of 1060 baht (10600/10).

Hope this makes it clear why it makes no sense to go this way unless you're power user.

Edited by tomazbodner

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on usage. Generally for those who use a lot, prepaid cards are more expensive to use than post-paid, and by quite a lot also. And as iPhone was mentioned:

image.png.0c9a08631af4b184c88b9bac94edf208.png

image.png.6dc7cb73b8116eda2303252073c6756c.png

16 hours ago, RichCor said:

If buying one or two phones, No. Acting as a purchasing agent for a large company and planning to purchase 50 or more, maybe. Otherwise you're looking at the normal promotions like every one else.

Maybe you're thinking of signing up for a PostPay account (that requires having a work permit)?

It does not require a wp. 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:
16 hours ago, RichCor said:

It does not require a wp. 

I was really questioning the OPs idea that ANY special discount might be had for someone holding a work permit.

48 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Depends on usage. Generally for those who use a lot, prepaid cards are more expensive to use than post-paid, and by quite a lot also. And as iPhone was mentioned:

If somebody says he "needs" unlimited max speed internet, the savings might be small (there are no really cheap sim cards available offering this), but by using for example Finn mobile (previously Line mobile), i guess you can still save a few baht.

But if we take into account that for most persons a "70gb max speed" or "unlimited 10mbps" package is sufficient, which can be bought for about 1500THB for one year on Shopee, then such a phone + postpaid contract costs several thousand baht more per year.

Edited by jackdd