Deserted beaches, empty bars: Covid-19 devastates Thailand's tourist islands

webfact

Deserted beaches, empty bars: Covid-19 devastates Thailand's tourist islands

Visitor numbers expected to plummet by tens of millions in crisis that eclipses the 2004 tsunami, bird flu and Sars

Rebecca Ratcliffe in Chaweng

file.jpg

Koh Samui’s beaches are almost entirely devoid of people since the coronavirus pandemic began. Last year, 40 million tourists visited Thailand. Photograph: Marco Pompeo Photography/Alamy Stock Photo

The streets of Koh Samui, one of Thailand’s most popular tourist destinations, are eerily quiet. Along Chaweng’s Beach Road, a usually raucous party area, shuttered shops stretch into the distance.

Before the coronavirus pandemic, it was buzzing with traffic. Now, taxi drivers sit on the roadside, with little hope of finding customers. Where bikini-clad sunseekers once browsed souvenir shops and drank at neon-lit bars, a lone street dog stretches on the pavement. Elsewhere, swathes of Samui’s idyllic, sandy white beaches are almost entirely free of people.

About 40 million tourists flocked to Thailand last year, drawn by its spectacular coastlines, ornate temples and famous cuisine. Yet in 2020, the country will struggle to attract even a quarter of that number, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT).

Full story: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/23/deserted-beaches-empty-bars-covid-19-devastates-thailands-tourist-islands

-- The Guardian 2010-07-23

2 minutes ago, thequietman said:

But, but, but ............ this is against the law, and is punishable by a fine of 50,000 baht!  (if ur Japanese) ????

Seriously? ....and what is the Japanese ref? Guess I have missed something.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mavideol said:

they should start to think that after will the foreigners living in are not bad and should be treated with respect..... or maybe I am giving them too much credit  555

I think it's the latter, not the former....  :whistling:

Just wait until the Chinese, Japanese and Koreans return.... however many years that may be into the future.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

maybe this is the best way for them to appreciate our contribution to their business....in the past some of them took advantage of many of us, now they have nobody, they should start to think that after will the foreigners living in are not bad and should be treated with respect..... or maybe I am giving them too much credit  555

Talk to walls, if you think for a moment that they care how they had it all and now nothing...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mavideol said:

maybe this is the best way for them to appreciate our contribution to their business....in the past some of them took advantage of many of us, now they have nobody, they should start to think that after will the foreigners living in are not bad and should be treated with respect..... or maybe I am giving them too much credit  555

Way  too much credit, never  learn never  will.

• Like 1

If Koh Samui is so dead why are so many hotel prices astronomically high? 

We have been looking into a few days excursion from BKK in August and rates at top-end hotels are through the roof! (Some are heavily discounted, but many no discount at all)

Normally we would go to Bali (wedding anniversary, we were married there), but don't have that option now.

I get that would normally be high season on Samui, but seriously? I guess trying to keep prices high to offset the low volume (reverse polish logic).

Have also looked at BKK hotels and they ain't cheap either (I am talking about 5 star in both cases). 

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, eppic said:

Thai economics 101 - When empty, put UP the prices. That way, we make the same money, but with less people.

Unfortunately, they don't factor in the fact that people wont book in the first place cause prices are too high. ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

Koh Samui is dead .... no tourists are coming and all the bars and shops are closed. So no tourists means no money for the business then no job. It's the same in most places around Thailand and probably won't change much even in the months ahead.

do not fret steven. prayut will tackle this problem head on. i have the utmost faith that he will resolve this issue in no time. thai people know and appreciate the dedication he continues to show......... am i right ? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mr mr said:

do not fret steven. prayut will tackle this problem head on. i have the utmost faith that he will resolve this issue in no time. thai people know and appreciate the dedication he continues to show......... am i right ? 

yes ....   100% ... 

1 hour ago, eppic said:

We have been looking into a few days excursion from BKK in August and rates at top-end hotels are through the roof! (Some are heavily discounted, but many no discount at all)

Normally we would go to Bali (wedding anniversary, we were married there), but don't have that option now.

I get that would normally be high season on Samui, but seriously? I guess trying to keep prices high to offset the low volume (reverse polish logic).

Have also looked at BKK hotels and they ain't cheap either (I am talking about 5 star in both cases). 

If you check resorts there are some discounts per night rooms available.  We've just booked a nice resort hotel on the beach 4 star, 2 rooms for Saturday.

• Like 1