Deserted beaches, empty bars: Covid-19 devastates Thailand's tourist islands

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yeah, but you can bet if 1 tourist sits down, 50 walking beach vendors will jump out of that greenery offering massages , Ice creams , fried sea food and a carved wooden elephant

not according to our business owning, island reclining, members..   "business is booming they say, Booooming!"   😉

maybe this is the best way for them to appreciate our contribution to their business....in the past some of them took advantage of many of us, now they have nobody, they should start to think that aft

Posted Images

19 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Yeah, but you can bet if 1 tourist sits down, 50 walking beach vendors will jump out of that greenery offering massages , Ice creams , fried sea food and a carved wooden elephant

Not really. Most of them went back home along with the hotel workers, and have yet to return. There are a few about, but nothing like before.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Mavideol said:

maybe this is the best way for them to appreciate our contribution to their business....in the past some of them took advantage of many of us, now they have nobody, they should start to think that after will the foreigners living in are not bad and should be treated with respect..... or maybe I am giving them too much credit  555

you must have been with some of the same ladies that I knew !    

oh, wait..........  they would be in their 40's by now    55

12 hours ago, connda said:

I bet the people who created the economic devastation are all still getting paid on a regular basis.

microsoft,  amazon, apple,   pharmaceutical companies,  all close to new highs .

now you know who are the new rulers of planet earth . (and i am sure your friendly govts own quite

a few shares)

More activity in the air today.

Bangkok Airways has put on two extra flights to Samui. Again, using temporary flight numbers. Probably people coming for the long weekend. I know that ours and other villas in the area are fully booked this weekend.

11:05 11:05 Bangkok (BKK) Bangkok Airways PG 1131  On-Time
12:55 12:55 Bangkok (BKK) Bangkok Airways PG 1143 On-Time

https://www.samuiairportonline.com/flight-status/

• Like 2
8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, I agree.

Looked on Booking com thinking cheap beach holiday ......... lowest price 1,000bht.

End of cheap holiday thoughts, at that price I'll wait until I can fly to Da Nang again.

Flight CNX to DaNang, 1,200bht, bus to beach 20bht, hotel room near beach 500bht, beer 30bht.

I live in Samui, but I booked the one below for Feb next year 600 bahts per room including breakfast. I think just the breakfast and the gym access are worth that much. Just to have a bit of change with my gf for a few days.

That's if I manage to come back to Samui by Feb 2021...and if they are really opened.

https://www.agoda.com/baywater-resort-koh-samui/hotel/koh-samui-th.html?checkIn=2021-02-15&los=7&adults=2&rooms=1&cid=1268072&tag=vzSlwDjo0b54QvtI8dDBaw&searchrequestid=b2125bcc-964c-42b5-ac5f-226159442858&travellerType=-1&tspTypes=4

• Like 1
8 hours ago, steven100 said:

is it sewerage waste   ?

Not so much sewage but some might be . I’m pretty sure it is waste from the buildings as most of these have pipes running out to the sea from what I know of other areas on samui. The way the rings are it is something coming from the beach side and not the sea and at first I thought might be where the sand had been disturbed by people but the beach is empty so I’m going with waste !

On 7/23/2020 at 12:33 PM, webfact said:

Before the coronavirus pandemic, it was buzzing with traffic. Now, taxi drivers sit on the roadside, with little hope of finding customers.

Well, with their overpriced fares one would think they could be out of work for at least a decade. Karma.

• Like 1