Bang Lamung DLT - Renewal of Licences - Report from today 23rd July

Pilotman

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I forgot to add.  I also taxed my car, which took about 15 minutes.  When I came back out of the building having done that. The queues were gone in the covered area and the desks were unmanned, sorry, unpersoned.  There is no way that they could have cleared the queue that I had been a part of in just 15 minutes,  so I suspect that the desks were closed at 10:30am.   No idea if they re opened again, but it suggests that you need to get there early in the morning to secure a 'return by date'.   The other, less happy possibility, is that once they have filled all the available dates for return visits, they shut up shop, after all, my 'return to date' is 6 weeks away.  

I was there on Tuesday 21st. After 11/2 hrs wait like you got a date for 28th. July, next week, so don't know why you are 5 weeks after me and you went 2 days after me??

11 minutes ago, Wullie Mercer said:

I was there on Tuesday 21st. After 11/2 hrs wait like you got a date for 28th. July, next week, so don't know why you are 5 weeks after me and you went 2 days after me??

weight of numbers I guess. 

On 7/23/2020 at 2:40 PM, mighty said:

What difference does it make? if that is it how it works now that is it. 

Because it seems rather xenophobic and pointless? It would be like having a separate white and black line in the USA.

Personally I don't care as I'm good for another 5 years. I got my renewal done on the last day before they closed the offices.

17 minutes ago, PETERHOF said:

Does anyone know if it is still possible to renew a 5 years driving license after the birthday expiration date in order to get 6 years of validity instead of 5 years in Banglamung DLT ? Thank you...

Yes. However, I didn't bother waiting for my birthday to pass because I knew the offices were about to close for an indefinite time so I'm glad I got mine with a little over 5 years validity rather than nearly 6 when I did.

33 minutes ago, PETERHOF said:

Does anyone know if it is still possible to renew a 5 years driving license after the birthday expiration date in order to get 6 years of validity instead of 5 years in Banglamung DLT ? Thank you...

I did it 6 years ago. But now the situation doesn't seem to be clear anymore. Read here and the next post. 

6 hours ago, PETERHOF said:

About 5 years renewal driving license checklist, do you know if medical certificate is a requirement in Banglamung DLT ? Thank you...

No it is not. Confirmed by the lady when she gave me the slip with what is required. She crossed out the medical certificate as I would be renewing a 5 year.

12 hours ago, dsj said:

if you have a pink id card or yellow house book, then you book your appointment on line. I did mine 10 days ago and i got a date for August 26th for the BangChak office (Sukhumvit Soi 99). I even watched the video online. I have read that even if you watched the video on line, you still have to watch it there.

Bangchak says watching the video online is only for Thais. 

15 hours ago, PETERHOF said:

I did mine last year like that and yes, got 6 years validity... minus a day.

Pilotman,

Confirm all. You must have arrived after me. I was there at 6:55 and got the last chair in the right hand side row. After all the seat-holders were kicked out (definitely not allowed ! and the lady was very loud about it) I was number 8. Once they started working the line it moved fairly quickly. Still only got an appointment  on 2 September (see you there ????). But people at the front of the line had 1 September, so not much better.

A side note: There was somebody working at the Thai side at around 7:00, the lady for the farang line arrived later.

The only thing that bothers me now is the certificate of residence, it is supposed to be only valid for one month. Do we need new ones ? Will have to ask Mot when the date comes closer.

31 minutes ago, a340bangla1 said:

The only thing that bothers me now is the certificate of residence, it is supposed to be only valid for one month. Do we need new ones ? Will have to ask Mot when the date comes closer.

I have thought they check if you have the correct documents and keep them? If the certificate is not valid anymore next time this document check doesn't make much sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldie said:

I have thought they check if you have the correct documents and keep them? If the certificate is not valid anymore next time this document check doesn't make much sense. 

No, they staple the appointment slip and their form to the pile and hand it back.

Edited by a340bangla1

7 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

I  thought I saw a sign at Jomtiem saying get your appointment before getting the COR!

4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I  thought I saw a sign at Jomtiem saying get your appointment before getting the COR!

If so they should not make a sign somewhere but simply tell the people when they apply for one. The staff should be able to talk... Here is always so much uncertainty with all the information and requirements - very bad. 

9 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

Pilotman,

Confirm all. You must have arrived after me. I was there at 6:55 and got the last chair in the right hand side row. After all the seat-holders were kicked out (definitely not allowed ! and the lady was very loud about it) I was number 8. Once they started working the line it moved fairly quickly. Still only got an appointment  on 2 September (see you there ????). But people at the front of the line had 1 September, so not much better.

A side note: There was somebody working at the Thai side at around 7:00, the lady for the farang line arrived later.

I think once the documents are checked off, we are fine. Get the coffees in on the 2nd.  

6 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I think once the documents are checked off, we are fine. Get the coffees in on the 2nd.  

Our thoughts and their thoughts might not always match. Imagine they tell you on the 2nd that you have to come again because your certificate is older than 30 days. We have to find out. Perhaps someone who goes there the next days can clarify this. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oldie said:

If so they should not make a sign somewhere but simply tell the people when they apply for one. The staff should be able to talk... Here is always so much uncertainty with all the information and requirements - very bad. 

Perhaps they were doing that too, they certainly want you to show why you need a COR and justify it. I was after one but not for licence renewal, and I was sent off to get more copies of stuff.

Although I would also expect the applicant to show some gumption too!

12 hours ago, a340bangla1 said:

Yep, me too. That is why I am uncertain.

Will check when the appointment date comes closer.

Perhaps the DVLC are unaware of this and will not issue an appontment unless they see a COR first, a nice Catch-22! They sent me bouncing back and forth between the Tax Office in Banglamung and Jomtiem Immigration once....

40 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps they were doing that too, they certainly want you to show why you need a COR and justify it. I was after one but not for licence renewal, and I was sent off to get more copies of stuff.

Although I would also expect the applicant to show some gumption too!

No they are not doing this. I went for my COR about 2 weeks ago. No word that you need an appointment first. 300 Baht and come back in one hour. 

It is a complete information chaos. Good that you can get information here in this forum. My ex called then the DLT. First they said you can walk in as foreigner. There is no need for an appointment like for Thais. At the next call they told her that you need to make an appointment. 

On their English site they don't give you any useful information.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/

Then the law says that you can apply up to one year after your license expired for a new one without consequences. But the Banglamung DLT obviously says that it is not like this and you will have to make all tests again. 

21 hours ago, Rimmer said:

You do not need an appointment for the above visit, I turned up shortly after lunch and not so many people, there will be a Q as you go through the door, they are all waiting for the information window, you do not need to join that, go through them and turn right to the stairs  and the ticket machine. 

Did exactly that earlier today. However for some reason I arrived about 1.30 (I had meant to go a bit later) and the numbers did not start moving until 2.00pm - possibly a late/staggered lunch or something. 

I specifically asked about the CoR and was told no I did not need to get a new one.

My appt. however at the end of September at 2pm says to ***watch a 1 hour training video*** 

Since I am going from a 5 to a 5 does this mean I will then have to go back another day for the vision/reaction tests?

On 7/25/2020 at 4:07 PM, jacko45k said:

I got certificate of residence for driver license today, without the appointment for driver license renewal. The last time I was at Immigration, about two weeks ago, I saw that same sign. I did not see it today.

• Thanks 1

I want to share my experience from today. Arrived there at 13:15 and went inside and up the staircase (didn't take a number) to the second floor and there you immediately will find the counter number 11. Sadly 2 people were in front of me... The lady at the counter checked my documents and had no problem that I used the original COR for the car and a copy of it for the bike. She also told me that I do not need a new COR when I come again on October 14 2 o'clock to watch the video and get my license. On this date I do not need a number again but can immediately go to counter 11. All this took 15 Minutes. At 13:30 I left. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for this post, that's crazy !

I need to renew my DL for another 5 years in october.

- What happens is they give an appointment after the date of validity of your driving licence ? Can you drive after that date once your driving licence has expired ?

- If you fail the test, do you need a new appointment or can you come the next day (as before...) ?

28 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

- What happens is they give an appointment after the date of validity of your driving licence ? Can you drive after that date once your driving licence has expired ?

Many people drive without one at all so.........

In reality it may depend on the policeman if stopped and possibly being able to show proof of appointment. 

31 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

- If you fail the test, do you need a new appointment or can you come the next day (as before...) ?

Will probably depend on the specific DLT.

Wow. 
Makes me glad I do mine at an office in Chachoengsao !

Last time, going from the 1st to the 5 year license, I showed up with my paperwork, had to burn off to a local clinic to get an updated medical certificate (100 baht), came back, had all my paperwork checked, waited maybe 30 minutes and they started the next set of testing (colour, reaction and perception tests). When the current group was done we waited a bit more, paid the fee, went downstairs to get a new pic taken and a couple minutes later walked out with my shiny new license.

I think it took about 1 1/2 hours in total (and I was the only foreigner there).  The place was pretty full the whole time but they seemed to be able to get people through pretty quickly, and without sending them away to come back again weeks later.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spellforce said:

Thank you for this post, that's crazy !

I need to renew my DL for another 5 years in october.

As far as I know IF YOU HAVE AN APPOINTMENT your license will be valid until the appointment date and you will be also covered by the insurance. What tests? The health check?