Bang Lamung DLT - Renewal of Licences - Report from today 23rd July

Pilotman

On 7/29/2020 at 7:59 PM, Rimmer said:

Enter the premises and take a ticket from the machine on the right at the bottom of the stairs, at this point you are supposed to sit downstairs until your number is called.

Or proceed upstairs to desk 11 first on the left at the top of the stairs, any Thai agents wives girlfriends will be asked to go back down stairs as they are cramming up the small waiting area.

When the documents have been checked you will be asked to fill out your name and phone number on a list and your documents will be stapled together and handed back to you with an appointment date and time.

The COR has already been checked against your documents I doubt it will be referred to again.

You do not need a medical certificate for a five year renewal.

In addition to all the passport detail you will need a copy of back and front of your existing driving license

I believe there is no way to bypass this procedure even with a Thai Agent in tow, better to save the money and do it yourself and stand in line with your number ticket in your hand, its really not that hard.

EDIT

You do not need an appointment for the above visit, I turned up shortly after lunch and not so many people, there will be a Q as you go through the door, they are all waiting for the information window, you do not need to join that, go through them and turn right to the stairs  and the ticket machine. 

this will be my first 5 year DL, (my current is 2y) do i need medical or residence certificate ?

oh, and since i will get a new passport, do i need to bring the old ?

Edited by scammed

23 minutes ago, scammed said:

this will be my first 5 year DL, (my current is 2y) do i need medical or residence certificate ?

You only need to bring a medical certificate, residence certificate (= immigration), photocopies of your passport and your driving licence.

For a renewal 5 years to 5 years, a medical certificate is not required.

Edited by Spellforce

8 minutes ago, scammed said:

oh, and since i will get a new passport, do i need to bring the old ?

From the DLT website (https://www.dlt.go.th/en/two-year-license/)

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FROM TWO-YEAR (DRIVING LICENCE) TO FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. ORIGINAL TWO-YEAR THAI DRIVING LICENCE
  2. PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  3. ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY
  4. ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  • Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 2:34 PM, Pilotman said:

No idea, except that the foreign line took much longer than the Thai line,  as quite a few people ahead of me didn't seem to have the right docs or photo copies. I imagine that it is a temporary measure until they clear the backlog

It is not a temporary measure - it has been in existence to my knowledge for the last ten years.  Pure racism.  The Thai queue is allowed in first; the farangs last.  It is probable that you will have to come  back after lunch before you get seen to.  It is the raison d'etre for all the agents that proliferate round here.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

anybody is aware of a DLT not to far from Pattaya (let's say 2 hour drive)  that not need appointment in advance, or have a short que ?

the one near Regent school have a waiting time of more than 2 months for an appointment.

8 hours ago, marino28 said:

anybody is aware of a DLT not to far from Pattaya (let's say 2 hour drive)  that not need appointment in advance, or have a short que ?

the one near Regent school have a waiting time of more than 2 months for an appointment.

I've been using a DLT in Chachoengsao the last couple of times. In/out in less than 2 hours (probably just over an hour actually, it seemed pretty quick).

https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Province+Transportation+Office+Major+Phanom+Sarakham/@13.706371,101.3326211,11.04z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xf71d7c0dd8554b5!8m2!3d13.7367171!4d101.3349295?hl=en

It's about 130kms from Pattaya using the 331 highway. So, depending on traffic and speed it should be within 2 hours. ????

Never saw another foreigner there when I was there. There is a woman sitting at a desk behind the main counter (upstairs) that seems to be in charge of handling foreigners. Both times I went, my paperwork went straight to her. She processed it and added it to a stack of other (Thai) applications. 10 minutes or so later she came out front with a stack of papers and started doing the testing. Colour test, reaction test and depth perception test.
(Last time, I was the only one that had to do the colour test for some reason.) 

(The first time I did the colour test, they used a replica of a traffic light, except that the red/yellow/green lights could appear in any position. It was excellent as the lights were the same colour as the actual traffic lights. The next time I went there, they were using a small colour wheel (round circle with numerous coloured "dots"). It was easy as well because they used colours that were more like the traffic lights, instead of what they were doing at Jomtien where the red was very dark and the green was also very dark so that at 20 feet it was hard to tell them apart.)

Note: When I went to Chachoengsao last time (Jan 2019) my Residence and Medical Certificates were out of date as I'd originally got them with the intent of going in November. The lady doing my paperwork sent me off to get a new medical certificate (at a clinic about 5 minutes drive away where they checked my blood pressure, filled out a form, had a doctor sign it and charged me 100 baht). She didn't have a problem with the Residence certificate though. (Different places will have different rules, just like Immigration.)

She tested about a dozen other people after me and took all the paperwork back behind the counter. After a bit (another 10-15 minutes maybe) I was called up to pay the fee, then sent downstairs to get my photo taken. Couple minutes later the photo guy handed me my new license and I was heading out the door. 

As mentioned before, this was "pre-covid" but I doubt there'll be any difference now. It seems that, once you get away from Pattaya, things operate "normally". 

It's a bit out of the way obviously, but if you don't mind taking a drive now and then, it's not that far. There's a nice Duck Restaurant along the way, though if you want to go there on the return trip it's a pain because it's on the north-bound lane and you have to go south a ways to get to a U-Turn to get back to the restaurant (and then go north to the Ko Pho intersection and u-turn again to head south back to Pattaya).
That's if you go the 331 route of course.
https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Banmae+Restaurant/@13.3527261,101.2707632,11.03z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x51a495f400372363!8m2!3d13.3765101!4d101.2764788?hl=en

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, marino28 said:

anybody is aware of a DLT not to far from Pattaya (let's say 2 hour drive)  that not need appointment in advance, or have a short que ?  The one near Regent school have a waiting time of more than 2 months for an appointment.

I've had the same question as well.  I was considering doing 5Year update in either Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.  However, I have Yellow Book for Pattaya  and I assumed I would therefore have to get a Residence Certificate from Jomtien only, which other provinces would not honor & therefore refuse to service me.  Perhaps my assumptions are incorrect.  I do NOT want to change Yellow Book to another location just for a residence certificate to get DLT service.

I realize that DLT vehicle Tax, Registration & Insurance can be updated in any province location.  But a residence certificate is not required for that.  Based upon Kerryd's post above, he states he had no problem updated driving permit in another location with the certificate of residence I assume he got from Jomtien.

Question:

Will DLT in other province locations honor / service (for driving permit renewal) a Residence Certificate I got from Jomtien Immigration?

Edited by OneZero

i tried the dlt app for queue but the phone freeze when i push the passport button for aliens,

i'm off to dlt next to regent school in a couple of days since my license has now expired, is the corrupt dlt app appointment a requirement ?

Edited by scammed

10 hours ago, OneZero said:

Question:

Will DLT in other province locations honor / service (for driving permit renewal) a Residence Certificate I got from Jomtien Immigration?

I wondered about that. I noticed my first license had some weird address on the back. I have no idea whose it was but no one (police) ever questioned it. I think it might have even been the address of the "friend of a friend" that was helping me out that first time.

When I went back to renew it (on my own), I had my new (2 month old) Residence Certificate from Jomtien and they put my proper (Nong Prue) address on the new license, even though I was in a Chachoengsao DLT office.
I was a little concerned that they might have told me to go to a Chon Buri office instead, but they just processed it without question which was a relief.

If they started getting 200 people a day from Pattaya showing up they may change their minds though !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

I wondered about that. I noticed my first license had some weird address on the back. I have no idea whose it was but no one (police) ever questioned it. I think it might have even been the address of the "friend of a friend" that was helping me out that first time.
I w
When I went back to renew it (on my own), I had my new (2 month old) Residence Certificate from Jomtien and they put my proper (Nong Prue) address on the new license, even though I was in a Chachoengsao DLT office.
I was a little concerned that they might have told me to go to a Chon Buri office instead, but they just processed it without question which was a relief.

If they started getting 200 people a day from Pattaya showing up they may change their minds though !

Thank you very much for that follow up. Your experience (a sample size of One, so far) tends to indicate it is indeed possible to do it in another province. However, your final observation is pertinent.  If DLT Not too busy, then Perhaps No problem; but if busy they may object.  As with many things dealing with the Thai bureaucracy it may differ province to province & even within the same province depending upon a whole host of conditions from how busy they are to an employees personality.

Conclusion: I will get my Certificate of Residence (based upon Yellow Book) in Jomtien, and be prepared to wait out the scheduled appointment approx 2 months downline.  I may consider travel to another DLT, but if a considerable distance I will first try to ascertain from them (phone, ??) if they will process it. 

16 hours ago, OneZero said:

Conclusion: I will get my Certificate of Residence (based upon Yellow Book) in Jomtien, and be prepared to wait out the scheduled appointment approx 2 months downline.

Correct me please if I'm wrong:

- The Certificate of Residence is valid for one month. If you appointment is planned in 2 months, do you need to get a new Certificate of Residence ?

- If police check you, as long as you'll show an apointment to DLC,, everything is fine ?

1 hour ago, Spellforce said:

Correct me please if I'm wrong:

- The Certificate of Residence is valid for one month. If you appointment is planned in 2 months, do you need to get a new Certificate of Residence ?

- If police check you, as long as you'll show an apointment to DLC,, everything is fine ?

Apparently not, once your paperwork is accepted no need to repeat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I can see some visa agencies advertising about the DL appointments in Chonburi.

But why, the process looks quite easy. I have to renew my 5 years DL to another 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont understand why we would have to use the services of a VISA agency ?

Can someone confirm the process and those 3 followings points please ? (underlined below)

1 - A residence certificate has to be done at immigration, valid for 1 month. Even if the appointment is in 2 or 3 months, the residence certificate will still be valid ?

2 - Go and take an appointment at the land department:

Do we need to come at 8AM and do the queue with thai people, or can we come later ? 11AM or 2 PM ? (no queue)

There is a "police amnesty" about expired DL.

My DL expires in october.

Do I need to come and do an appointment before or after my DL expires, or it doesn't matter before or after ?

6 hours ago, Spellforce said:

Today I can see some visa agencies advertising about the DL appointments in Chonburi.

But why, the process looks quite easy. I have to renew my 5 years DL to another 5 years.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I dont understand why we would have to use the services of a VISA agency ?

Can someone confirm the process and those 3 followings points please ? (underlined below)

1 - A residence certificate has to be done at immigration, valid for 1 month. Even if the appointment is in 2 or 3 months, the residence certificate will still be valid ?

2 - Go and take an appointment at the land department:

Do we need to come at 8AM and do the queue with thai people, or can we come later ? 11AM or 2 PM ? (no queue)

There is a "police amnesty" about expired DL.

My DL expires in october.

Do I need to come and do an appointment before or after my DL expires, or it doesn't matter before or after ?

I was told that I would  not need to get a new residence cert. even though my appointment was more than a month away - I will find out for sure in 3 weeks.

I went to make the appointment with all my documents at 12.30 ish or so but would have been better going later on that day. There was still a queue and I still had to take a number but the backlog seemed much less later.

Since the delay is so long for appointments I would go now as your appt. is likely to be November/December anyhow. Why add more risk. If you get a difficult official you can show picture of appointment.

Can you just go and get an appointment ...without any paperwork ??? or do they needs to see all the paperwork to issue an appointment ..... ?????    better to have an appointment and get a up to date residency cert  just before you go to renew your licenses.. 

On 9/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, topt said:

Since the delay is so long for appointments I would go now as your appt. is likely to be November/December anyhow. Why add more risk. If you get a difficult official you can show picture of appointment.

Can you choose a date? I.e. when your licence is due to expire (could be 3 months ahead) or they just give you the next available one? 

7 minutes ago, banglay said:

Can you just go and get an appointment ...without any paperwork ??? or do they needs to see all the paperwork to issue an appointment ..... ?????    better to have an appointment and get a up to date residency cert  just before you go to renew your licenses.. 

I've asked this a few times incl on Facebook and never got an answer, to me it makes sense to make an appointment and provide all docs on that date

6 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Can you choose a date? I.e. when your licence is due to expire (could be 3 months ahead) or they just give you the next available one? 

Not sure to be honest. The one they gave me was supposedly the first available and it happened to be convenient.

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've asked this a few times incl on Facebook and never got an answer, to me it makes sense to make an appointment and provide all docs on that date

I had to get all the documents to make the appointment including the res cert. which they then checked off and stapled a piece of paper to with the appointment date on.

They wouldn't give me one when I went to ask prior to that without the docs.

Edited by topt
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, banglay said:

better to have an appointment and get a up to date residency cert  just before you go to renew your licenses.

Would not do for me - you need ALL the documents. You can of course try and let us know how it goes.........

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

So the medical certificate isn't an issue if months old? for 2-5 you need one

Again I don't know for sure as I don't need one. But since they are asking for all the documents and ticking them off I would say you have to have it for the appointment. Whether you then need another I would ask at the time of making the appointment.

I specifically asked about the CoR when the lady gave me my appointment and she said no problem. I will find out in just under 3 weeks if it is...........

On 9/11/2020 at 7:36 AM, banglay said:

I went last month 18 aug to the DLT office in Banglamung near the Regent school. Need to provide the documents signed by you to make the appointment. No need for a medical certificate if renew a 5 year licence. Got to go on 10 nov for the test. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rutteketuut said:

I went last month 18 aug to the DLT office in Banglamung near the Regent school. Need to provide the documents signed by you to make the appointment. No need for a medical certificate if renew a 5 year licence. Got to go on 10 nov for the test. 

Out of curiosity . what day and time did you go through this process and how long did it take .. your response will be appreciated by me and I am sure others too.... PS did they give you proof that you applied and have an appointment to show the police if you get stopped? 

????   

Edited by banglay

2 hours ago, banglay said:

Out of curiosity . what day and time did you go through this process and how long did it take .. your response will be appreciated by me and I am sure others too.... PS did they give you proof that you applied and have an appointment to show the police if you get stopped? 

????   

See my post #75.

Here is what I was given with all the other sheets stapled underneath

303233624_DLTAppt1..jpg.e1e42188ba6e093ddaed8ef5cc8c3e51.jpg

Also I have just received a call from the DLT (today Saturday) asking me if I would like to move my renewal appointment to this coming Monday.......When I asked if Tuesday was ok she said yes and gave me the option of 3 time slots - 8, 10 or 2pm.

Slightly concerning was that she asked me to confirm I was renewing a 5 year and whether I had all my documents......

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, topt said:

See my post #75.

Here is what I was given with all the other sheets stapled underneath

303233624_DLTAppt1..jpg.e1e42188ba6e093ddaed8ef5cc8c3e51.jpg

Also I have just received a call from the DLT (today Saturday) asking me if I would like to move my renewal appointment to this coming Monday.......When I asked if Tuesday was ok she said yes and gave me the option of 3 time slots - 8, 10 or 2pm.

Slightly concerning was that she asked me to confirm I was renewing a 5 year and whether I had all my documents......

Strange there isn't a 2-5 option, although I shouldn't be surprised

On 9/11/2020 at 1:11 PM, scubascuba3 said:

So the medical certificate isn't an issue if months old? for 2-5 you need one

i got an appointment a few days ago, but apparently

my medical paper will have expired by the time i go to the appointment on 1st so i reckon it expire in 1 month,

i need to get a new one before i go

• Like 1