One for the grammar Nazis

Give the answers that you think the examiner wants you to give.

It requires second guessing the abilities/limitations/expectations of the examiner.

I am confident that I could pass the test on that basis.

My thoughts about the comments are that they're mostly wrong, in the strictest sense.

However if I was giving my thoughts about the questions, I would have to say that they do require a pretty good feel for how the language is used. In each case, there is one answer that is the fairly evidently the answer they want but that is not necessarily the only answer that is grammatically correct.

For instance, although "Sara loves to design her own clothes and jewelry," is the most appropriate and no doubt the desired "correct" answer, "Sara loves to smell her own clothes and jewelry," is grammatically correct as well.

4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

My thoughts about the comments are that they're mostly wrong, in the strictest sense.

However if I was giving my thoughts about the questions, I would have to say that they do require a pretty good feel for how the language is used. In each case, there is one answer that is the fairly evidently the answer they want but that is not necessarily the only answer that is grammatically correct.

For instance, although "Sara loves to design her own clothes and jewelry," is the most appropriate and no doubt the desired "correct" answer, "Sara loves to smell her own clothes and jewelry," is grammatically correct as well.

but, Smell is capitalized, and that would be incorrect.  G in grammar Nazi should be capitalized.  

• Haha 1

On 7/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Grammar Nazi's or non-thick people that can actually spell?

A language should facilitate easy communication with other humans, and not be a challenge. It's like it was designed to be a challenge so that smartasses could boast about their superior spelling and grammar skills. The English language is one of the disasters of the modern world now that it has been adopted as the lingua franca. It's a disgrace.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with it and still need to consult my dictionary and spell checker every day. Once we find the right words, and spell them correctly we still have to solve the mystery of English grammar. It's an uphill battle.

30 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

A language should facilitate easy communication with other humans, and not be a challenge. It's like it was designed to be a challenge so that smartasses could boast about their superior spelling and grammar skills. The English language is one of the disasters of the modern world now that it has been adopted as the lingua franca. It's a disgrace.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with it and still need to consult my dictionary and spell checker every day. Once we find the right words, and spell them correctly we still have to solve the mystery of English grammar. It's an uphill battle.

It's only a disgrace, when the Indians, Philipinoes, or Scots attempt to speak it.

10 hours ago, moontang said:

It's only a disgrace, when the Indians, Philipinoes, or Scots attempt to speak it.

It's a disgrace when English speakers try to spell it. The Filipino accent is far clearer than most local UK accents, which tend to be the hardest to understand for non-UK residents. There's only one decent UK accent IMO - the received pronunciation. As for the Indian accent - only the British can take credit for that as they colonized the country and had the responsibility to teach them the language.

One of the good features of English is that people around the world attempt to speak it and most native English speakers don't make fun of their accents.