Jump to content
BANGKOK
stubuzz

One for the grammar Nazis

Recommended Posts

Share your thoughts about the comments above the questions.

 

image.png.e5fa85e420ca5d7baf34a2661e6e7565.png

 

image.png.aaec4921f87a935671b0806306cb142c.png

image.png.afa2bdf925eb432e103c23ee35402391.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grammar Nazi's or non-thick people that can actually spell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guys, give them a break, considering that this is a school test given in Irak, or maybe Libya...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

children of my friends often show me test/exam questions which even they know are ridiculous, one of my favourites was:

 

italian people like to eat

 

a) pasta

b) spaghetti

c) bread

d) rice

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's part of test given in Saudi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Give the answers that you think the examiner wants you to give.

 

It requires second guessing the abilities/limitations/expectations of the examiner.

 

I am confident that I could pass the test on that basis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 could be D, but that is not the best answer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thoughts about the comments are that they're mostly wrong, in the strictest sense.

 

However if I was giving my thoughts about the questions, I would have to say that they do require a pretty good feel for how the language is used. In each case, there is one answer that is the fairly evidently the answer they want but that is not necessarily the only answer that is grammatically correct.

 

For instance, although "Sara loves to design her own clothes and jewelry," is the most appropriate and no doubt the desired "correct" answer, "Sara loves to smell her own clothes and jewelry," is grammatically correct as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's garbage and the answers make any sense.

 

Correct the test anonymously and send it to the school's president.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

My thoughts about the comments are that they're mostly wrong, in the strictest sense.

 

However if I was giving my thoughts about the questions, I would have to say that they do require a pretty good feel for how the language is used. In each case, there is one answer that is the fairly evidently the answer they want but that is not necessarily the only answer that is grammatically correct.

 

For instance, although "Sara loves to design her own clothes and jewelry," is the most appropriate and no doubt the desired "correct" answer, "Sara loves to smell her own clothes and jewelry," is grammatically correct as well.

but, Smell is capitalized, and that would be incorrect.  G in grammar Nazi should be capitalized.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2020 at 3:25 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Grammar Nazi's or non-thick people that can actually spell?

A language should facilitate easy communication with other humans, and not be a challenge. It's like it was designed to be a challenge so that smartasses could boast about their superior spelling and grammar skills. The English language is one of the disasters of the modern world now that it has been adopted as the lingua franca. It's a disgrace.

 

Unfortunately I'm stuck with it and still need to consult my dictionary and spell checker every day. Once we find the right words, and spell them correctly we still have to solve the mystery of English grammar. It's an uphill battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

A language should facilitate easy communication with other humans, and not be a challenge. It's like it was designed to be a challenge so that smartasses could boast about their superior spelling and grammar skills. The English language is one of the disasters of the modern world now that it has been adopted as the lingua franca. It's a disgrace.

 

Unfortunately I'm stuck with it and still need to consult my dictionary and spell checker every day. Once we find the right words, and spell them correctly we still have to solve the mystery of English grammar. It's an uphill battle.

It's only a disgrace, when the Indians, Philipinoes, or Scots attempt to speak it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, moontang said:

It's only a disgrace, when the Indians, Philipinoes, or Scots attempt to speak it.

It's a disgrace when English speakers try to spell it. The Filipino accent is far clearer than most local UK accents, which tend to be the hardest to understand for non-UK residents. There's only one decent UK accent IMO - the received pronunciation. As for the Indian accent - only the British can take credit for that as they colonized the country and had the responsibility to teach them the language.

 

One of the good features of English is that people around the world attempt to speak it and most native English speakers don't make fun of their accents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we can forego the discussion of accents.   Stay on topic or posts will be removed and suspensions given.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2020 at 11:57 AM, johnray said:

Correct the test anonymously and send it to the school's president.

The comments on the test are from the managing director.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...