ELITE VISA QUESTIONS

Can one get an "Elite (Easy Access) Visa" from outside of Thailand? I'm currently stuck in the USA since March. If so...

1. Does one need an existing type of Thai visa already in the passport? I have a Non-O with extension based on Retirement valid until 3 January 2021.

2. Any additional costs, fees or annual fees in addition to the ฿500,000?

3. Any money in Thai bank requirements?

4. Any health insurance requirements on arrival?

5. Is it truly valid for 5 years?

6. Any annual renewal or visits to Immigration or other surprises?

7. Is it unlimited multiple entry? 

8. Passport valid until 2024. What happens in that 5th year of the Elite when time to get a new passport?

9. Does it change the existing visa/extension in my passport? Or is it just something in addition to my Non O w/extension based on Retirement?

(Of course, all this is assuming that incoming international commercial flights will resume sometime in the not too terribly distant future)

Accurate answers to any and all queries will be greatly appreciated! 

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Like 1

1. If you are currently outside Thailand, there are no prior visa requirements.
  2. No significant extra costs, with the exception at the current time of those resulting from enhanced border controls (especially quarantine, Covid-19 tests and Covid-19 insurance)
  3. No.
  4. At the current time, you would be required to have $100,000 of Covid-19 insurance when entering. The duration of this insurance is unclear, but you can probably meet the requirement with inexpensive travel insurance.
  5. It is valid for five to six years (you may be able to get an extra year with a border bounce towards the end of the five years).
  6. If you do not exit Thailand at all during a 12-month period, you need to request a one-year extension from immigration on payment of 1,900 baht. This is very easy.
  7. Yes.
  8. The visa in the old passport remains valid, and you can simply use both passports for travel, and when requesting extensions.
  9. If entering on a Thailand Elite visa, you get an initial one-year permission to stay, and any previous visas and extensions become irrelevant.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

8. Passport valid until 2024. What happens in that 5th year of the Elite when time to get a new passport?

I can answer this from current experience as my current passport expires right in the middle of my 5 year membership.

The visa is dated only up to the passport expiry date so they owe you time on an additional visa but the issued visa doesn't go beyond the passport expiry date.

In my case my passport expires about 2.x years into the 5 year membership, sometime next year I will get a new passport before the passport and visa expire on the same day.

Once I have the passport I need to go to TE / immigration and they will insert a new visa sticker into the new passport covering the remainder of my membership duration, plus the 6 bonus months bonus which they've issued due to the COVID situation.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, 2 is 1 said:

So what kind case can denied that you can't get Elite Visa even you pay the current money?

If you are outside Thailand, there is no problem. If you are inside Thailand on a non immigrant extended permission to stay, there have been reports that it is not possible to convert this to a Thailand Elite entry and permission to stay. Under normal circumstances, the easy solution is to fly out and back, getting the visa at the airport. I am not sure if Thailand Elite has negotiated other solutions in this time where that would clearly be impractical.

34 minutes ago, northsouthdevide said:

Why don't you just set your sights on returning before the expiration of your extension of stay, and renew it for 1900thb? 

Much cheaper than an elite visa. 

Yes, well, that sounds swell...and of course is my preference. Sights have been set since end of March but still no end in sight, especially for Americans. I need to get home and this may be the ONLY timely way. Of course, until commercial flights resume into The Kingdom...this is moot too. But Elite may ultimately be my only near term option, unless a readily available vaccine comes along and even then, best case for that will be sometime 2021. ☹️

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

unless a readily available vaccine comes along and even then, best case for that will be sometime 2021. ☹️

All this talk of vaccine is a bit far fetched in my opinion. 

Not being American, I have no idea of the restrictions that you face compared to other citizens, but January is a long way off, and most countries are under pressure to stimulate their economies, especially in the travel and tourism sector. 

So hang on in there, and good luck. 

Where there's a will, there's usually a way. 

Being from the UK, if I wanted to travel from Europe, I would have to self isolate on arrival in UK for 14 days, but I could fly to Dublin , take a hour bus ride to Belfast and be effectively in Britain, and free from restrictions. 

I'm not condoning this... 

Just saying.....   Canada? ????

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

So what kind case can denied that you can't get Elite Visa even you pay the current money?

If you have had any overstay in the previous 3 years you are ineligible for an Elite visa. You must also consent via a signed form to allow a background check on you. This is the part that takes the longest, In my dads case over one week.

7 hours ago, Big Joke said:

If you have had any overstay in the previous 3 years you are ineligible for an Elite visa. You must also consent via a signed form to allow a background check on you. This is the part that takes the longest, In my dads case over one week.

You can have a single overstay and still be eligible. You can't actively be on overstay though to actually receive the visa. My background check took 3 weeks on an Irish passport.

• Thanks 1

OP, I was recently told (from a friend in US that contacted TE) that the application process for the Elite can take months if done through an embassy.  I would suggest you contact the Thailand Elite people directly to get some of your answers in the current environment, not sure if applicants from years ago will still be up-to-date on latest procedures / timelines.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2020 at 11:22 PM, Skeptic7 said:

Yes, well, that sounds swell...and of course is my preference. Sights have been set since end of March but still no end in sight, especially for Americans. I need to get home and this may be the ONLY timely way. Of course, until commercial flights resume into The Kingdom...this is moot too. But Elite may ultimately be my only near term option, unless a readily available vaccine comes along and even then, best case for that will be sometime 2021. ☹️

dont forget you can only get a shorter  term driving licence, 2 years is  it?

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just looking for some information regarding recent experiences with obtaining the Thailand Elite Card during covid-19.

1. After application approval, how many days do you have to submit payment?  

2. After application approval, if you decide not to move forward and not pay, is there any penalty or negative consequences?  Could you apply again normally in the future if you wanted?

3. Based on my reading in the forum, if on the 2nd year of an O-A visa (expired Nov 2019 with last entry into Thailand in Oct 2019) with a current permission to stay stamp until October 2020, this permission of stay can now be cancelled by CW Immigration within Thailand and the new Elite stamp issued?  Is my understanding correct during this covid period?

Thanks for your assistance.

11 hours ago, yamadajr said:

Hi everyone, just looking for some information regarding recent experiences with obtaining the Thailand Elite Card during covid-19.

1. After application approval, how many days do you have to submit payment?  

2. After application approval, if you decide not to move forward and not pay, is there any penalty or negative consequences?  Could you apply again normally in the future if you wanted?

3. Based on my reading in the forum, if on the 2nd year of an O-A visa (expired Nov 2019 with last entry into Thailand in Oct 2019) with a current permission to stay stamp until October 2020, this permission of stay can now be cancelled by CW Immigration within Thailand and the new Elite stamp issued?  Is my understanding correct during this covid period?

Thanks for your assistance.

This is what i got. I haven’t paid yet, if you dont pay within 3 months you have to apply from start again

i dont know about your 3rd question 

Greetings from Thailand Elite ….

We would like to inform you that we have acquired an approval letter from Thai Immigration Office as attached herewith together with the Banking/Payment details. 
The approval letter will be valid 3 months from the date listed on the approval form. Please kindly complete the payment for your membership before the end of validity date.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Winegeeker said:

This is what i got. I haven’t paid yet, if you dont pay within 3 months you have to apply from start again

We would like to inform you that we have acquired an approval letter from Thai Immigration Office as attached herewith together with the Banking/Payment details. 
The approval letter will be valid 3 months from the date listed on the approval form. Please kindly complete the payment for your membership before the end of validity date.

Hey Winegeeker,

I submitted my application for a 5 year TE last week. 

How long did it take you to get approved and get this email sent to you?

The sales representative told me "approximately a month" but I am reading it is taking less time.

Was there any other instructions about contacting your local Thai Embassy to get travel approval or any other stipulations?

Edited by ubonjoe

Thank you!! This is very helpful.

I am in the same situation as Skeptic7. Any information on a couple of questions would be appreciated:

1. There seem to be at least two agencies advertising the Elite program. Are they contractors sanctioned by the Thai government?

2. Is Elite actually a government sponsored program? Which ministry is responsible for it?

3. What is the legal recourse if the contracting agent disappears from the scene? I am enquiring about the scenario where one pays 500,000 Baht and the agency goes under for whatever reason after, say, 7 years.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

I am in the same situation as Skeptic7. Any information on a couple of questions would be appreciated:

1. There seem to be at least two agencies advertising the Elite program. Are they contractors sanctioned by the Thai government?

2. Is Elite actually a government sponsored program? Which ministry is responsible for it?

3. What is the legal recourse if the contracting agent disappears from the scene? I am enquiring about the scenario where one pays 500,000 Baht and the agency goes under for whatever reason after, say, 7 years.

The agent just helps you out, the money for visa goes direct to government official bank

it doesn’t matter if anything would happen down the roaf to agent, once your paid you get a membership number and can log into official website 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HerewardtheWake said:

The sales agents just funnel you to Thailand Elite and their only purpose is to convince you to buy. The entire transaction will be through Thailand Elite themselves, the agent gets a commission and is out of the picture.

I never got the point of using an agent unless they'd offer me a discount which hasn't happened anymore in recent years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Travelanimal said:

So they said in next phase elite visa holders will be allowed back in

For now they are excluded

It seems nothing is official up to now and everything very vague.

The 200 elite visa holders they let in now may have some connection to the government or immigration, no other explanation why only 200.

Any idea how many elite visa holder there are?

i cant imagine it’s very many

They publish 10,000 in total. Nobody knows how many are now in Thailand and how many waiting to enter.

• Like 1