ELITE VISA QUESTIONS

One bit of good news about the Elite appears to be  that apart from the health insurance requirement now needed for entry, subsequent renewals don't call for health insurance. Obtaining health insurance when one is over 75 is a problem, so for such people Elite may be a solution.

1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

BritTim, I know about the $100,000 health insurance requirement to enable entry. But how long does the insurance have to be effective? Does it have to be a one year policy or say, a 3 month policy would do? There seems to be some ambiguity about the period of the policy?

My original assumption was that the intention was to cover you against the costs that could be incurred for critical care due to Covid-19. If that was the case, three months travel insurance would be sufficient. When tourism resumes, that will likely be so for short term tourists. However, what I have read since suggests a move towards foreigners having a comprehensive health insurance in case they fall sick at any time during their residence in Thailand. It is known that some in high places want something like this. Currently, those already in Thailand are (mostly) exempt from this requirement. 

1 hour ago, HerewardtheWake said:

One bit of good news about the Elite appears to be  that apart from the health insurance requirement now needed for entry, subsequent renewals don't call for health insurance. Obtaining health insurance when one is over 75 is a problem, so for such people Elite may be a solution.

Is it really a wise thing to stay in Thailand as a senior (anyone really) and NOT have health insurance?

I couldn't sleep properly in such a situation. I'm 36 now and health insurance was the first thing I got when I moved to Thailand back in 2013. Too many horror stories of people ending up destitute after being ripped off and most importantly not being treated immediately until payment is secured. Sure if you're wealthy enough that you can say worst case I pay $100k out of pocket that's fine.

The renewals don't require the insurance but I'd say each entry for the foreseeable future does and the discussion about mandatory insurance for foreigners was already discussed in the last few years before Covid was even an issue.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

image.png.54791381a729919ee4fd38e16863d9d1.png

There's no mention of the period of insurance required.

I would suggest checking with Thailand Elite to see what they say about this.

The pdf makes no sense. How can you provide a fit for fly at the time you apply for the COE. It says "issued 72 hours before departure" but the application has to be lodged well in advance. Then this appears again on the list of documents that you have to present at the airport.

Yet another document that was put together by someone who doesn't have a brain.

Edited by FlyingThai
  • Like 2

So only a certain number of EV holders are permitted each day... and we are only allowed on repatriation flights which are like 3 per month here in the usa... so how long a wait is it? And how much are the tickets that EV holders must pay for these flights?

Just received email from Thai Elite, you can get an Elite visa outside Thailand with a valid Non O Retirement. Members with elite visas in passport have been granted entry. New members will be shortly approved and their visas will be sent to your respective Thai Embassy abroad and affixed in your passport and be allowed entry on repatriation flights shortly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Just received email from Thai Elite, you can get an Elite visa outside Thailand with a valid Non O Retirement. Members with elite visas in passport have been granted entry. New members will be shortly approved and their visas will be sent to your respective Thai Embassy abroad and affixed in your passport and be allowed entry on repatriation flights shortly.

In what country are you?

Or they told you it is worldwide?

11 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

A bit more wheedling, and she looked in her computer, found the code PE, and decided that she could alter it on the spot, and even issue the 90-day extension.

A report of staying longer than 90 days in the country is not a extension of your stay.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A report of staying longer than 90 days in the country is not a extension of your stay.

Yes, badly phrased perhaps, but you know what I mean.

A 90-day report, meaning I am now in compliance with all Thai immigration procedures for another 3 months.

Edited by RickBradford

8 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Embassies around the world seem to know nothing about any of this and still say that Elite holders, existing and new, are not allowed entry. I hope they get the memo soon. 

1 hour ago, leicesterguyuk said:

Embassies around the world seem to know nothing about any of this and still say that Elite holders, existing and new, are not allowed entry. I hope they get the memo soon. 

This will all be arranged through TE and the Foreign Ministry which in turn will notify the respective Embassy.

8 hours ago, Berti said:

In what country are you?

Or they told you it is worldwide?

Its worldwide I assume, email stated New member visas will be sent to 'perspective Thai Embassy abroad'.  British Columbia, Canada.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, leicesterguyuk said:

That does seem odd..

51 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Its worldwide I assume, email stated New member visas will be sent to 'perspective Thai Embassy abroad'.  British Columbia, Canada.

The Thai Consulate down at the Sheraton in Vancouver is very small and not open much. Not surprised that they don't have up to date information. Contact the Embassy in Ottawa if you need something really urgent!

5 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:

The Thai Consulate down at the Sheraton in Vancouver is very small and not open much. Not surprised that they don't have up to date information. Contact the Embassy in Ottawa if you need something really urgent!

Thank you, yes I've noticed the Ottawa Embassy website has much more to read than Vancouver. Also calls to Vancouver seem to be one word answers not much help. I have 150 days left on Non O, nothing  really urgent yet to consider the Elite route. 

5 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

Thank you, yes I've noticed the Ottawa Embassy website has much more to read than Vancouver. Also calls to Vancouver seem to be one word answers not much help. I have 150 days left on Non O, nothing  really urgent yet to consider the Elite route. 

If my condo in Vancouver wasn't rented until spring of next year I'd have no problem spending some time back in Canada right now. I'd be very careful when it comes to investing 500k for Thailand Elite at the moment while staying abroad. In the very least pay with a credit card in case something funny is going on later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FlyingThai said:

If my condo in Vancouver wasn't rented until spring of next year I'd have no problem spending some time back in Canada right now. I'd be very careful when it comes to investing 500k for Thailand Elite at the moment while staying abroad. In the very least pay with a credit card in case something funny is going on later.

Cheers, yes pay for the elite abroad and who the hell knows maybe still can't get there for many months. You would leave Thailand now ???  I've got 150 days left on my Non O retirement, waiting with hope.  I'm 5 hours drive from Vancouver, I'll rent it from you! lol  Love Van. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Cheers, yes pay for the elite abroad and who the hell knows maybe still can't get there for many months. You would leave Thailand now ???  I've got 150 days left on my Non O retirement, waiting with hope.  I'm 5 hours drive from Vancouver, I'll rent it from you! lol  Love Van. 

I've been here since February so quite frankly it's getting old. I got myself an Elite Visa as well while already in country so no problems regarding COE or quarantine requirement. Just payment directly at their office and a trip to immigration.

I'm sure I would regret going back to YVR in November at the latest. Only upside is that with one month of rental income I can live in Thailand for 4 months. And BC killed the cruise ship season this year so no Alaska cruises.

• Like 1