Two undertakers injured as crematorium explodes in Chonburi

webfact

Two undertakers injured as crematorium explodes in Chonburi

By THE NATION

800_f166067c5cf35de.jpg?v=1595554088

Two people were hospitalised with severe burns following an explosion at a crematorium in Chonburi province.

On Thursday (July 23) at 5pm, Sawang Boriboon Rescue Foundation was informed about an explosion at Wat Banglamung in Chonburi’s Banglamung district. One victim, Rat Changpradit, 74, suffered severe burns all over the body and is in a critical condition, while the other victim, Wanchai (last name unknown), aged 63, suffered burns on his hands and torso.

Both were rushed to a nearby hospital.

af6ced8akg7bfj9ddfhhj.jpg

Witnesses told officials that they were attending a funeral but the crematorium seemed to stop working. The two victims, who are both undertakers, tried to inspect the burning chamber but suddenly it exploded, causing injuries to the victims and prompting funeral attendees to flee the scene.

The explosion left cracks in the crematorium while burning wood and cement went flying in the area. There is no report of casualties among funeral attendees.

The temple has been sealed off and officials from Police Technical Affairs Division will inspect the crematorium on Friday to determine the cause of the explosion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30391838

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-07-24

• Haha 1

Pattaya: Funeral goers run for their lives as undertakers severely injured in crematorium explosion 

7pm.jpg
Picture: Sanook

Pattaya's Sawang Boriboon rescue service was called after an explosion at the temple of Wat Bang Lamung in Pattaya severely injured two undertakers during a funeral. 

The person in the coffin was just about to go up in flames when a problem developed with the fire in the crematorium structure. 

Rat, 74, and his brother Wanchai, 63, the undertakers went to investigate. 

There was an explosion that threw both men off their feet causing severe burns. 

Rat was burnt over his entire body and had impact injuries and a bloodied face. Wanchai, his assistant, was also burned and both were rushed to hospital.

Cement and wood fragments were scattered all over the place following the explosion. 

Funeral attendees said that everyone ran for their lives in all directions following the surprise explosion. 

The funeral was rescheduled at Wat Chong Lom.

The crematorium at Wat Bang Lamung was sealed off as an investigation into what happened began. 

Source: Sanook

• Sad 1

On 7/24/2020 at 8:37 AM, webfact said:

officials from Police Technical Affairs Division will inspect the crematorium on Friday

of next week?  These officials must be rushed off their feet with the accidents caused by lack of maintenance.

Yes, most Crematoriums in Thailand ? Well most certainly around where I used to live. are powered by Diesel these days .... Like far more Environmental ? well not to many Trees being used for Burning Bodies ... but it would have been a Diesel Oil problem here I am sure ... like the new fire boxes are Push Button, like Red = Sped and hit Green to Goooo.... No wood is used at all. ... Though well, it looks like they get fuel Blocks ? Or the tank runs out of Diesel ? ... and the feed gets Testie !!! ... By the looks of it.... I always wondered about the Maintenance, of all of the Technology and basic Fuel Technology when I looked at the back of our Local one !!! ... Like the Box and Fans and Diesel feed look a bit like a big Marine engine really !!!  ....

Our Undertaker having just Died in his 50's ... and God Bless ..Just a Bit ! Like a bottle or two of Lao Cow .... 

On 7/26/2020 at 6:41 PM, Mark mark said:

Yes, most Crematoriums in Thailand ? Well most certainly around where I used to live. are powered by Diesel these days .... Like far more Environmental ? well not to many Trees being used for Burning Bodies ... but it would have been a Diesel Oil problem here I am sure ... like the new fire boxes are Push Button, like Red = Sped and hit Green to Goooo.... No wood is used at all. ... Though well, it looks like they get fuel Blocks ? Or the tank runs out of Diesel ? ... and the feed gets Testie !!! ... By the looks of it.... I always wondered about the Maintenance, of all of the Technology and basic Fuel Technology when I looked at the back of our Local one !!! ... Like the Box and Fans and Diesel feed look a bit like a big Marine engine really !!!  ....

Our Undertaker having just Died in his 50's ... and God Bless ..Just a Bit ! Like a bottle or two of Lao Cow .... 

When my MIL was cremated it was with wood, but that was in the village- not many happened.

I've heard of all sorts of catastrophes in LOS, usually caused by lack of maintenance, but an exploding crematorium is a first.

Sympathies to those burnt. Probably the most horrible of all injuries.