Shocking video shows moment pick up reverses into mother and child in Pathum Thani

webfact

43 minutes ago, NightSky said:

The lady probably didn’t look left because it’s a two lane dual carriageway with one way traffic. It would have been safer to have a quick glance but in reality you wouldn’t expect a truck to be reversing down a one way carriage way and the lady was distracted by the little girl. 

This is in Thailand and surely, if I as a foreigner knows that I must always look both ways no matter what, a local should know that too?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bangkok Barry said:
49 minutes ago, NightSky said:

The lady probably didn’t look left because it’s a two lane dual carriageway with one way traffic. It would have been safer to have a quick glance but in reality you wouldn’t expect a truck to be reversing down a one way carriage way and the lady was distracted by the little girl. 

This is in Thailand and surely, if I as a foreigner knows that I must always look both ways no matter what, a local should know that too?

One of the first things I was told when I moved to Thailand year ago... 

“Always look in both directions on a one way street” !!!!!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, but if anyone wants to break the rules, they are responsable for the resulting accident. 

Just because someone is smarter to look both ways for idiots does not make the idiot right. They were going the wrong way. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Theory said:

But “my friends this is Thailand“ !!!!???? Do not try to analyze it by your own logic. ????????????????

The Thai police used Thai logic to determine the truck was at fault. 

Going the wrong way AND insufficient rear view.  Case close! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

some sick people here blame the mother ??? <deleted>

this truck backed up, could also have hit the car

he was backing up !!! did the car make the noisy beep beep to warn ?

traffic is supposed to come from one way only

same as that person that died on the motosay avoiding 2 motosays driving on the wrong side

In Thailand traffic often comes from both directions - after a couple of near misses whilst on foot I now look both ways as taught in primary school. Note the m/c travelling in the same direction going around the now stopped pick up. Lady put herself at risk - van driver took a risk reversing blind.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Derek B said:

In Thailand traffic often comes from both directions - after a couple of near misses whilst on foot I now look both ways as taught in primary school. Note the m/c travelling in the same direction going around the now stopped pick up. Lady put herself at risk - van driver took a risk reversing blind.

It happens but not legally. Like many things in Thailand.  But if an accident occurs while someone is engaged in the illegal act, it is their fault.  Period! 

It was a one-way road! 

28 minutes ago, Parker2100 said:
45 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, but if anyone wants to break the rules, they are responsable for the resulting accident. 

Just because someone is smarter to look both ways for idiots does not make the idiot right. They were going the wrong way. 

I absolutely agree that the truck was in the wrong. 

Is the Mother (?) complicit for taking the child into the road without first checking if it is safe or not?

If I walk across a pedestrian crossing and get hit by a car, who’s fault is it? am I not also complicit for placing myself at risk by not checking the road is clear, especially when knowing that in Thailand no one pays attention to pedestrian (zebra) crossings and road safety.

The carelessness of the Mother (?) is also a significant factor in this accident - the child is the only one here without any fault.

It does not matter what anyone on here says. The person at fault is the person that has broken the law and that applies in every country in the world and in this case the person that has broken the law is the van driver not the lady. The van driver broke the law by reversing when it is an offence to do so. Why didn't one of the men in the van with the driver get out and guide him back safely? The lady may have done a foolish thing but it was not against the law for her to step out behind the van who should have been going forward by law. Some people talk about these vehicles being fitted with reversing buzzers, there are very few vehicles this size fitted with buzzers as they are not required for this size vehicle, they are not required until the vehicle reaches the 4 tonne size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Even in Thailand!

First the road is a two lane going in only one direction.  Truck was traveling on the right lane and realized he had past the drop off so he pull to the left and started to back up on a road not designed. Although the size of the vehicle wasn't consider a true commercial vehicle had two passenger and one of them should have gotten out went behind the truck and caution it to back up!

Second, the vehicle was carrying a unsafe load unsecured with the gate down. Even if the vehicle had an camera with the gate down no way he would been able to see the two the reason someone should have gotten out!

No training and education that is the big problem here. I've driven and licensed commercial drivers many of the techniques should be applied in regular driving. Even with Camera today just a simple tapping of the horn while backing up helps with warning they are lucky here in Thailand with his gate not able to see the back up lights another vehicle didn't run into the back.

Third you look at the location at which the mother and child came out obviously they were on the sidewalk waiting for the bus or songthaw look on the floor and see what is painted " do not block this area yellow "  a few second prior a vehicle came out right where she was standing and make a left turn.

Last, the mother had the expectation based on the design of this road to feel some sense of security to step off and and wait. The driver if trained right and his passengers should have gotten out and make sure while he was backing up being defensive just takes a second even in Thailand.

Driver in complete wrong!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It does not matter what anyone on here says. The person at fault is the person that has broken the law and that applies in every country in the world and in this case the person that has broken the law is the van driver not the lady. The van driver broke the law by reversing when it is an offence to do so. Why didn't one of the men in the van with the driver get out and guide him back safely? The lady may have done a foolish thing but it was not against the law for her to step out behind the van who should have been going forward by law. Some people talk about these vehicles being fitted with reversing buzzers, there are very few vehicles this size fitted with buzzers as they are not required for this size vehicle, they are not required until the vehicle reaches the 4 tonne size.

LOL Your on the wrong forum dude, this is a Thai forum not Aussie road laws. As for one part of your post you are regarding reversing, you have the right to drive forward, you have the right to reverse backwards you have the right to reverse park,you have the right to drive in, you have the right to reverse out. As for road rules. road rules/laws can get you killed,using common sense Won't.

Hey dude who should be more alert around traffic? and who would be the one into the morgue?, the driver or the the pedestrian? "Hint" It won't be the person driving the car. You follow awareness and common sense and everyone will live longer.

2 hours ago, off road pat said:

And how can she be at fault when the car reversed behind her coming from the wrong direction...???

One must Look Before stepping on the road    Left/right .

anyone Ever Taught you that?? Dumber than Dumb.

Mother daughter are on one way street and do not think anyone will be driving in the opposite way.

Driver backing up against traffic a long way on a one way street way without anyone's assistance.

Take his driver license away( if he has one) and lock him up before he kills someone!!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Their must be a lot of Sick people even in the law So you  say/think.

when you want to Walk across the road one must look left & Right & left Right , otherwise one gets run over by a vehicle going forward or in reverse. 

Also the vehicle must  have a reversing signal /beeper and look in the mirrors to reverse .

The Mother is Wrong ,Also the Driver is being Careless.

NightSky, are you confused ?.

It's Quite simple. What I stated is What everyone gets taught from young . just Read it again.

Whether they are driving a car, motorbike, or walking in this country, nobody looks to there left or right as they think the other person should. It’s a shame to teach your young kids such bad behavior that they have to pay with their lives.  

This is why the government has to think for the majority uneducated population. All I have to say to all farangs, be on your offense and defense when you are out there. 

19 hours ago, Henryford said:

The driver should have been more careful but they were stood in the middle of the ROAD.

Yes. A ONE WAY ROAD! The <deleted> stupid driver should NOT have been reversing without due care!

Why should she look left? Everything was supposed to be moving in one direction!

1 hour ago, geoff65 said:

LOL Your on the wrong forum dude, this is a Thai forum not Aussie road laws. As for one part of your post you are regarding reversing, you have the right to drive forward, you have the right to reverse backwards you have the right to reverse park,you have the right to drive in, you have the right to reverse out. As for road rules. road rules/laws can get you killed,using common sense Won't.

Hey dude who should be more alert around traffic? and who would be the one into the morgue?, the driver or the the pedestrian? "Hint" It won't be the person driving the car. You follow awareness and common sense and everyone will live longer.

It is easy to see that you do not drive here or even hold a licence here or you would know that even in Thailand whoever breaks the law is in the wrong and there is a law in the Thai road laws that states that you are not allowed to reverse and that is what the police go by and that is why the Thai police have said the driver is at fault. So now that driver is going to pay for his error. Just like you would if you did the same stupid thing, but then it appears that you wouldn't do anything that stupid if you cannot see who is at fault in this incident. Your Mr Perfect.

The driver is responsible for his vehicle. 

If he drives forward into a post, can that be blamed on the post?  

A driver reversing is totally responsible, not any pedestrians he might hit because they didn't look because it's a one way street!

1 minute ago, aussie11950 said:

The driver is responsible for his vehicle. 

If he drives forward into a post, can that be blamed on the post?  

A driver reversing is totally responsible, not any pedestrians he might hit because they didn't look because it's a one way street!

Thats rather a black and white view point. 

If you are crossing the road, are you not also responsible for your own safety?

Was the Mother (?) responsible for the child's safety?

Suggesting that 100% of the responsibility is on the driver may be right, but would you want to be ‘dead right’ ????? (in the right, but injured).

The Driver is of course to blame, but the mother is by no means ‘not complicit’ through her own stupidity.

• Like 1

Even in Thailand!

The current laws of driving are all taken from the West!  remember Thailand didn't invent the vehicle. If anyone has taken the time to obtain a license here in Thailand and didn't fall asleep watching the video would have seen although the video is shot in Thailand many of the rules and laws were taken from the West.

Many don't realize the Thailand Driver laws enacted in the 1960's and revised again in 1990's are pretty much the same in the West and also Australia yes this is the Thailand board. 

Another poster refer to common sense on the part of the mother does that common sense also apply to the driver?  this Soi is no different than a highway would you pull over at home and backup, yes it happens here all the time the reason the police and all enforcement including the government, judges come from the same school of driving this is Thailand.

In the past few years I have accompany a friend and family to the police station both times they weren't in the wrong and both times the police wanted them to pay simply because they were foreigners although living here. Both times in the end hearing their nonsense told them there is only one law, payment the person guilty isn't going to make us feel better because they are poor nor going to the Temple. Your job is to apply the driving law of Thailand not enrich yourself or your own people at the expense of the innocent. If you need to speak to us against we will bring a lawyer with us that usually settles the case but doesn't get your vehicle fix.

I have a saying which I past on daily to my son, his wife who thinks " this is Thailand " a open person who wants to learn will listen and give it a chance to learn something new I don't think anyone would be against it?  So if Thailand is rank year in year out being 1 or 2 in the world as the worse driver most accidents and death why would any person with any sense want to drive like " this is thailand " so 25,000 plus Thais are killing themselves " this is Thailand " we should do as Thais and kill ourselves does this make sense to anyone except maybe a Thai in general?

We learn to want better, to strive to be better and we learn to create better we go forward no backwards?

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 1