A new PC desktop for my home.

OneeyedJohn

I am retired and don't work anymore, used to do some English teaching in the YMCA and a local language school, but no more so my need for a new PC is totally personal.

I surf the net, I play occasionally a flash based golf game, I keep some spreadsheets, I download torrents for movies and TV shows. I used to subscribe to live TV streaming , but I don't bother with that anymore.

So what do I get.

I like the look of the Dell XPS 8930, it appears to have good options for a very average user like myself, and it appears to be upgradeable. But that is all I know. You might say why do I need to spend 40K just to read my email.

I currently have an ASUS amd sempron 140 that has to be at least 6 - 10 years old, and when I went to our local store to upgrade to Win10 and have a new SSD installed, they said it would be a waste of time, no quicker than my current windows 7 Ultimate.

I have a good internet fiber of 200MB.

Recommendations and suggestions please, be rude as u like, I am not sensitive.

I have a high end PC and a notebook. After I bought my tablet they are hardly used anymore. Okay. Before I did video editing and other performance intensive tasks like playing games. But this is history and I am very happy with the tablet. 

It is funny that you brought this up now as my HP Envy died a couple of weeks ago.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet which cut down the number of physical of shops.

I first went online to see what was out there having decided how much RAM and memory I wanted and how much I was willing to pay.

Then I went round some computer shops to see what they had and what it actually looks like.

The choice was between a laptop, desk top or an All In One.

In the end I chose an AIO from Acer with 8Gb of RAM but only 1Tb of storage which wasn't a big problem as I had a couple of 1Tb external hard drives and I will use one of them to give me another 1TB.

The guy from the shop delivered it the next afternoon and set it up for me. The total cost was 19,000 baht including delivery. I get a 3 3 3 warranty with it.

I hope that this helps you in your search.

Edited by billd766
New computer and wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

It is funny that you brought tis up now as my HP Envy died a couple of weeks ago.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet which cut down the number of physical of shops.

I first went online to see what was out there having decided how much RAM and memory I wanted and how much I was willing to pay.

Thwn I went round some computer shops to see what they had and what it actually looks like.

The choice was between a laptop, desk top or an All In One.

In the end I chose an AIO from Acer with 8Gb of RAM but only 1Tb of storage which wasn't a big problem as I had a couple of 1Tb external had drives and I will use one of them to give me another 1TB.

The guy from the shop delivered it the next afternoon and set it up for me. The total cost was 19,000 baht including delivery. I get a 3 3 3 warranty with it.

I hope that this helps you in your search.

HDDs?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I currently have an ASUS amd sempron 140 that has to be at least 6 - 10 years old, and when I went to our local store to upgrade to Win10 and have a new SSD installed, they said it would be a waste of time, no quicker than my current windows 7 Ultimate.

A new SSD or replace HDD with SSD?  If replacement it will make a huge difference and probably negate need for a new computer but if just a larger SSD probably not worth the effort if you do not like it now.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't need to spend anywhere close to 40K to get a modern, updated CPU to replace the old one your currently have. You didn't mention whether you'd need/want a newer/larger monitor as well.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/desktop-pcs/

2020-07-24-8.jpg.dd684195f0504f1da17a283a59b9ff1e.jpg

2020-07-24-9.jpg.1b18be34b898dc54de414bac18e75222.jpg

Why have an eff..g big box like that. Towers were introduced to accomodate several big hard drives. Now with M2s & SSDs you don't need it. As One More Farang suggested, an Intel NUC tucked away, takes only 18 watts of electricity, would be more than adequate for the OP.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stouricks said:

Why have an eff..g big box like that. Towers were introduced to accomodate several big hard drives. Now with M2s & SSDs you don't need it. As One More Farang suggested, an Intel NUC tucked away, takes only 18 watts of electricity, would be more than adequate for the OP.

There are all kinds of sizes avail these days... Full tower boxes, mini tower boxes, small form factor, etc etc... I'm personally not a big fan of the NUC mini PCs for general computing use (as opposed to for streaming purposes) because of their limited/no ability to use add-on cards, change/upgrade wifi or video adapters, add a 2nd internal disk drive, etc etc.

I've got a 10 or so year old HP desktop at home, and it runs fine on Win 10 right now, because over the years, as needed, I've been able to swap out/upgrade all kinds of different components....  something you are very limited in doing in the NUC format.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are all kinds of sizes avail these days... Full tower boxes, mini tower boxes, small form factor, etc etc... I'm personally not a big fan of the NUC mini PCs because of their limited/no ability to use add-on cards, change/upgrade wifi or video adapters, add a 2nd internal disk drive, etc etc.

I've got a 10 or so year old HP desktop at home, and it runs fine on Win 10 right now, because over the years, as needed, I've been able to swap out/upgrade all kinds of different components....  something you are very limited in doing in the NUC format.

The OP said it was for personal use so an i5 NUC would be very suitable. Who needs add-on cards, upgraded WiFi or Video adapters if they are all there, and you CAN put an M2 plus an SSD into them depending on the capacity you think you need/ want. No need to store everything locally, shove it up on the Cloud, OneDrive, Google Drive etc.

If you added up what you have spent on hardware upgrades, what will you do when it comes to something serious/expensive going wrong, say MoBo or CPU. Throw it out?

sounds like you need something basic
i would suggest a cheap all in one PC
about 12k
no wires, no clutter etc.

not sure if i can post such links
so just look on JIB co th
and see "all-in-one" 
they range from 11k to 34k
ANY of them will suit your needs

Thanks everyone, wonderful suggestions and ideas.

I have never heard of NUC, seems like I need to get out more.

I like small ( NUC ) and I like the AIO suggestion as I am fed up with plugging in wires everywhere plus the printer wires.

I have a HP2448w screen and a samsung 17 inch screen so monitors and mice are not a problem.

My only reservation ( maybe not justified ) about AIO is that they probably pack inferior products to keep size to a minimum.

Definitely quality is a factor to me, not necessarily the very best, but Honda rather than a Nissan.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't need to spend anywhere close to 40K to get a modern, updated CPU to replace the old one your currently have. You didn't mention whether you'd need/want a newer/larger monitor as well.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/desktop-pcs/

2020-07-24-8.jpg.dd684195f0504f1da17a283a59b9ff1e.jpg

2020-07-24-9.jpg.1b18be34b898dc54de414bac18e75222.jpg

BTW, the images I posted above are just for reference, and I sorted the list based on lowest price of their offerings for the HP and Dell brands. There are, of course, lots more models with different specs at difference prices.

PS These days, I wouldn't go for anything less than 8 GB of RAM memory. I had a couple PCs running Win 10 with 4 GB from long ago, and upgrading to 8 or 12 GB made a world of difference in improving their responsiveness and performance. And, that kind of memory upgrade is relatively cheap, whether done at the time of purchase or on your own after the fact.

Your money would likely have been better spent on an SSD. 

Is the Inspiron  7 2700 AIO from Dell old fashioned, or is the 5490 a better bet.

I just watched an Aussie review the Dell Inspiron 27 7000 AIO on Utube, with keyboard and mouse all for $800 roughly.

Sounds and looks perfect I have to say.

Edited by OneeyedJohn
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I told u already , the shop when I asked about putting Windows 10 on a new SSD ( 1349 baht for 256 GB, 2290 for 500 GB ) reformat my hard drive, they said it was a waste of time and money.

They are telling porkies imho.  You would be amazed at the difference the SSD makes and Windows10 can mostly fix itself these days so even on an old systems works well.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I like small ( NUC ) and I like the AIO suggestion as I am fed up with plugging in wires everywhere plus the printer wires.

When I got my NUC, I plugged the HDMI into my telly, the mains adapter into the mains, the Network cable into the Network port, a USB from printer to NUC, and I have not touched any wires since. If you've already got a big telly, then there's your monitor, and use the NUC as your media centre, play all your movies, music, through it.   I could do with tidying the cables up a bit.

IMG_20200724_140041.jpg

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

They are telling porkies imho.  You would be amazed at the difference the SSD makes and Windows10 can mostly fix itself these days so even on an old systems works well.  

If that is true what you say, I would be surprised as I am sure they would like to sell 2000 baht of stuff to a farang. Whether I needed it or not or whether they even care is another matter.

My wife was with me and I know the boss of the technical staff so maybe they do care and were trying to help.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

In the end I chose an AIO

With a notebook you have everything All In One (AIO). With a desktop computer that is not necessary. And if you want to change one part, i.e. the monitor, you have to change the whole thing. Just for that reason I don't recommend any AIO.

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

The range of Asus mini-pc are good too. I have one connected up to my TV as a media box.

I buy ASUS motherboards since decades and I like them. I never tried an ASUS mini PC.

I bought at least 30 NUCs over the last years. They all work perfect, never any problem.

• Like 1