BANGKOK
OneeyedJohn

A new PC desktop for my home.

I am retired and don't work anymore, used to do some English teaching in the YMCA and a local language school, but no more so my need for a new PC is totally personal.

I surf the net, I play occasionally a flash based golf game, I keep some spreadsheets, I download torrents for movies and TV shows. I used to subscribe to live TV streaming , but I don't bother with that anymore.

So what do I get.

I like the look of the Dell XPS 8930, it appears to have good options for a very average user like myself, and it appears to be upgradeable. But that is all I know. You might say why do I need to spend 40K just to read my email.

I currently have an ASUS amd sempron 140 that has to be at least 6 - 10 years old, and when I went to our local store to upgrade to Win10 and have a new SSD installed, they said it would be a waste of time, no quicker than my current windows 7 Ultimate.

I have a good internet fiber of 200MB.

Recommendations and suggestions please, be rude as u like, I am not sensitive.

Posted (edited)

Any new desktop PC should have enough performance for your needs.

I recommend a small little Intel NUC. They are good quality, and you can select any CPU, SDD, and RAM which you want.

And then connect the size of monitor you want. Maybe you want a big monitor like 32 inch or maybe you prefer a small one. All will fit, no problem.

And then I suggest you get a good quality keyboard and mouse because they are the parts which you use all the time and they should be comfortable to use. Personally I spent more than 5,000B for mouse and keyboard because I use them 24/7 - a good investment for a few years.

I am sure you can buy the computer set online but I suggest you go to a shop an look at the different monitors, keyboards, mouse, etc.

I can recommend this shop, I bought many PCs (including many Intel NUC) from them for my customers.

https://www.jetcom.co.th/

NUCminiPCforHome_Business_2000x.png?v=15

Edited by OneMoreFarang
  • Like 2

I have a high end PC and a notebook. After I bought my tablet they are hardly used anymore. Okay. Before I did video editing and other performance intensive tasks like playing games. But this is history and I am very happy with the tablet. 

Posted (edited)

It is funny that you brought this up now as my HP Envy died a couple of weeks ago.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet which cut down the number of physical of shops.

I first went online to see what was out there having decided how much RAM and memory I wanted and how much I was willing to pay.

Then I went round some computer shops to see what they had and what it actually looks like.

The choice was between a laptop, desk top or an All In One.

In the end I chose an AIO from Acer with 8Gb of RAM but only 1Tb of storage which wasn't a big problem as I had a couple of 1Tb external hard drives and I will use one of them to give me another 1TB.

The guy from the shop delivered it the next afternoon and set it up for me. The total cost was 19,000 baht including delivery. I get a 3 3 3 warranty with it.

I hope that this helps you in your search.

Edited by billd766
New computer and wireless keyboard and mouse
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

It is funny that you brought tis up now as my HP Envy died a couple of weeks ago.

I live in rural Khampaeng Phet which cut down the number of physical of shops.

I first went online to see what was out there having decided how much RAM and memory I wanted and how much I was willing to pay.

Thwn I went round some computer shops to see what they had and what it actually looks like.

The choice was between a laptop, desk top or an All In One.

In the end I chose an AIO from Acer with 8Gb of RAM but only 1Tb of storage which wasn't a big problem as I had a couple of 1Tb external had drives and I will use one of them to give me another 1TB.

The guy from the shop delivered it the next afternoon and set it up for me. The total cost was 19,000 baht including delivery. I get a 3 3 3 warranty with it.

I hope that this helps you in your search.

HDDs?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recommend a small little Intel NUC

The range of Asus mini-pc are good too. I have one connected up to my TV as a media box.

33 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I currently have an ASUS amd sempron 140 that has to be at least 6 - 10 years old, and when I went to our local store to upgrade to Win10 and have a new SSD installed, they said it would be a waste of time, no quicker than my current windows 7 Ultimate.

A new SSD or replace HDD with SSD?  If replacement it will make a huge difference and probably negate need for a new computer but if just a larger SSD probably not worth the effort if you do not like it now.

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You don't need to spend anywhere close to 40K to get a modern, updated CPU to replace the old one your currently have. You didn't mention whether you'd need/want a newer/larger monitor as well.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/category/desktop-pcs/

2020-07-24-8.jpg.dd684195f0504f1da17a283a59b9ff1e.jpg

2020-07-24-9.jpg.1b18be34b898dc54de414bac18e75222.jpg

Why have an eff..g big box like that. Towers were introduced to accomodate several big hard drives. Now with M2s & SSDs you don't need it. As One More Farang suggested, an Intel NUC tucked away, takes only 18 watts of electricity, would be more than adequate for the OP.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

updated CPU to replace the old one your currently have

And the motherboard and probably the RAM. Don't bother.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, stouricks said:

Why have an eff..g big box like that. Towers were introduced to accomodate several big hard drives. Now with M2s & SSDs you don't need it. As One More Farang suggested, an Intel NUC tucked away, takes only 18 watts of electricity, would be more than adequate for the OP.

There are all kinds of sizes avail these days... Full tower boxes, mini tower boxes, small form factor, etc etc... I'm personally not a big fan of the NUC mini PCs for general computing use (as opposed to for streaming purposes) because of their limited/no ability to use add-on cards, change/upgrade wifi or video adapters, add a 2nd internal disk drive, etc etc.

I've got a 10 or so year old HP desktop at home, and it runs fine on Win 10 right now, because over the years, as needed, I've been able to swap out/upgrade all kinds of different components....  something you are very limited in doing in the NUC format.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, stouricks said:

And the motherboard and probably the RAM. Don't bother.

By CPU, I meant the whole computer box... not just the processor.

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There are all kinds of sizes avail these days... Full tower boxes, mini tower boxes, small form factor, etc etc... I'm personally not a big fan of the NUC mini PCs because of their limited/no ability to use add-on cards, change/upgrade wifi or video adapters, add a 2nd internal disk drive, etc etc.

I've got a 10 or so year old HP desktop at home, and it runs fine on Win 10 right now, because over the years, as needed, I've been able to swap out/upgrade all kinds of different components....  something you are very limited in doing in the NUC format.

The OP said it was for personal use so an i5 NUC would be very suitable. Who needs add-on cards, upgraded WiFi or Video adapters if they are all there, and you CAN put an M2 plus an SSD into them depending on the capacity you think you need/ want. No need to store everything locally, shove it up on the Cloud, OneDrive, Google Drive etc.

If you added up what you have spent on hardware upgrades, what will you do when it comes to something serious/expensive going wrong, say MoBo or CPU. Throw it out?

Make sure you get the big Acer Curved Screen. its great.