A new PC desktop for my home.

OneeyedJohn

1 minute ago, OneeyedJohn said:

When you say "won't be optimal for you" I guess you mean most apps like itunes and similar won't be in English , McAfee and similar antivirus rubbish, and there will be a ton of bundleware I just will not want.

In the old days you always got all that stupid Nero nonsense.

What is the best way to buy a genuine Windows 10 OS?

It means that they may install it using an 'unconventional' process and in addition install it with Express Settings that allows Microsoft to spy on everything you do.

It costs perhaps 100 baht or so for a licence online. The software itself is genuine, as you will download it directly from Microsoft. You do not even need a licence to run it, as it runs fine without one. But for the sake of 100 baht and entering key..

Instructions for all will be supplied if necessary.

If you want to take a step up in modernity and speed, this kind of thing; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-3050-sff-gen-7-i1097788711-s2491634176.html is worth a look.

They accept the even faster NVMe SSD storage method and incorporate the newer and easier BIOS recovery methods(just take my word for it).

The PC to which I linked in post# 62; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-3050-sff-gen-7-i1097788711-s2491634176.html @6,499 baht

is still under it's original DELL warranty according to it's Service Tag, until the 30th of November. Next Business Day on-site(they come to you) repair.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-th/product-support/servicetag/0-a2ZVTVlvU2xoTmFxNVRITTM2T0VFZz090/overview

13 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The PC to which I linked in post# 62; https://www.lazada.co.th/products/dell-optiplex-3050-sff-gen-7-i1097788711-s2491634176.html @6,499 baht

is still under it's original DELL warranty according to it's Service Tag, until the 30th of November. Next Business Day on-site(they come to you) repair.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-th/product-support/servicetag/0-a2ZVTVlvU2xoTmFxNVRITTM2T0VFZz090/overview

they are used, why bother buying something that could break in just a few months when its is then out of warranty
makes no sense to myself, not with hardware as none of it lasts forever
i would assume the OP wants something to last past this coming Crimbo
hardware is usually replaced every 4-5 years or so
apart from cost, what is the benefit buying something i assume is already approaching 3 years old ?
(assuming 3Y warranty)

an old man once said
"pay cheap, pay twice"

is it your advert on lazada ?

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2020 at 12:20 PM, stouricks said:

Totally agree. I am on my second NUC, i5, 256 SSD, 8 GB RAM, W10 2004, PRO, Express VPN, through a 55 inch Samsung Series 5 NON Smart telly,, absolutely perfect

I am terrifically impressed, I really am.

I just wish I had the slightest glimmer of an idea about what it all means!

????

• Haha 1

If you don't have much space and you don't travel with it, an AIO might be a good fit for you. Many of them are easy to upgrade on memory and storage (excludes Apple, mostly), and most people don't upgrade anything else anyway. Would make sense to take 4 core Intel i5 or i7 (or AMD Ryzen5 or Ryzen7) processor to future-proof it a bit, and 8 GB or RAM should be enough, with option to upgrade later. DDR4 is cheaper than older RAM, but all computers of last 5 years or so use DDR4 anyway. You'll probably prefer SSD over hard disk, so it's good to take model that has a slot for m2 SSD stick as they are cheaper and faster than SATA ones that look like laptop hard disk. It's also good to take something that has USB3 and USB C, as these are much faster than older USB2 (with USB3 backwards compatible), and seems everything is moving to USB-C.

Lastly I imagine you're not young, so a larger screen of 23" or 27" would likely suit you well, especially if it wasn't some super high resolution screen as scaling doesn't always work well. You'd hate Windows on 27" screen with 5k resolution.

While a new one would likely set you back 20-35,000 baht depending on brand and specs, you could get a 2nd hand one with similar specs for ~7000 baht, such as HP's likely most upgradeable EliteOne 800 G2. Business models generally last longer than low end home models, but they come with matte screens, which are great for staring at the screen for long time due to no reflection, but have worse contrast than gloss screens that are more suitable for entertainment.

Edited by tomazbodner
typing errors
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, innosiem said:

they are used, why bother buying something that could break in just a few months when its is then out of warranty

Who worries that much about a warranty on what for most of us is little more than pocket change?  This is not EU - it is often much less cost and much faster to write off than repair (wait for service/parts/work/risk loss or theft of information on computer).  

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Who worries that much about a warranty on what for most of us is little more than pocket change?  This is not EU - it is often much less cost and much faster to write off than repair (wait for service/parts/work/risk loss or theft of information on computer).  

the guy posting the link was touting the warranty as if it was something special, that was my point

if warranty is something to consider
then surely it makes sense to buy something new that actually has warranty????‍♂️

as i said hardware is usually replaced every 4-5 years
so why buy something 3 years old?
(warranty or no warranty)

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 2:02 PM, lopburi3 said:

They are telling porkies imho.  You would be amazed at the difference the SSD makes and Windows10 can mostly fix itself these days so even on an old systems works well.  

From the way the OP described his system here previously, it looked to be a single core processor model that's quite old. While he certainly could add a SSD probably, I'm not sure doing that with a single core processor and probably an old constricted bus capacity is going to produce remarkable results.

6 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If you don't have much space and you don't travel with it, an AIO might be a good fit for you. Many of them are easy to upgrade on memory and storage (excludes Apple, mostly), and most people don't upgrade anything else anyway. Would make sense to take 4 core Intel i5 or i7 (or AMD Ryzen5 or Ryzen7) processor to future-proof it a bit, and 8 GB or RAM should be enough, with option to upgrade later. DDR4 is cheaper than older RAM, but all computers of last 5 years or so use DDR4 anyway. You'll probably prefer SSD over hard disk, so it's good to take model that has a slot for m2 SSD stick as they are cheaper and faster than SSD ones that look like laptop hard disk. It's also good to take something that has USB3 and USB C, as these are much faster than older USB2 (with USB3 backwards compatible), and seems everything is moving to USB-C.

Lastly I imagine you're not young, so a larger screen of 23" or 27" would likely suit you well, especially if it wasn't some super high resolution screen as scaling doesn't always work well. You'd hate Windows on 27" screen with 5k resolution.

While a new one would likely set you back 20-35,000 baht depending on brand and specs, but then again you could get a 2nd hand one with similar specs for ~7000 baht, such as HP's likely most upgradeable EliteOne 800 G2. Business models generally last longer than low end home models, but they come with matte screens, which are great for staring at the screen for long time due to no reflection, but have worse contrast than gloss screens that are more suitable for entertainment.

Agree with all you say
spec to the link i posted above is
CPU : INTEL CORE I5-1035G1
RAM : 8 GB DDR4
STORAGE : 512 GB SSD M.2
DISPLAY : 23.8" FULL HD IPS NON-TOUCH
VGA : NVIDIA GEFORCE MX130 2 GB GDDR5

i assume this would be sufficient for the OP 
only other thing as you mentioned may be to buy a higher model for better CPU and larger screen to make it more future proof
but that would all be on the OPs preference and budget

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

I understand the risk of second-hand, but the saving is enormous. A warranty in Thailand is not worth the paper it is written on, so that is of no cencern.

If something stops working I replace it.

not sure what you mean, warranty here is fine
i have bought laptop in UK and had it repaired twice here under warranty

have bought HDD's SSDs and RAM here and had them replaced under warranty
as well as other products
they may be slow but warranty is fulfilled here
(of course you may need to buy new in the meantime waiting for replacement, which is what i had to do)

Here is what i am currently rocking but its way overkill????
IMG_20190112_172945.thumb.jpg.02d59fd03abb94e6aba5c230c09d9350.jpg

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's a used PC coming from a Lazada seller that has a 32% rating for shipping on-time, and no ratings on the PC itself coming from that seller.

COD, my friend. No one tried to hide the fact that it is used. Try to keep up, we've been discussing a used PC for quite some time.

14 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

People like yourself are precisely the reason that companies can get away with selling shiny goods to fools at high prices and I can continue purchase the  highest quality business class laptops that will easily outlast your mainly plastic construction shiny good for next to nothing.

So do carry on.

you can see my self built machine in my previous post above ????

and BTW most of the hardware you see, in the end cost me nothing????

2950X Threadripper
128GB RAM
ROG MB
2 x 512GB M.2 SSD
1 x 1TB SSD
3 x 6TB WD RED HDD
3 x 1070 8GB ROG Strix GPU
1500w Titanium PSU

but i will soon be downgrading as just built a NAS
and will be using 2 of the GPU's for projects

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

COD, my friend. No one tried to hide the fact that it is used. Try to keep up, we've been discussing a used PC for quite some time.

Wonder if the postie will let you boot it up, have a look at the software etc BEFORE you hand over your COD? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I wasn't commenting just on the used status. I was commenting on the product from that seller having ZERO customer reviews and the seller having a very poor 32% rating for shipping on-time, which seems kind of hard to understand for a dealer of used products.  Do try to pay attention.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, innosiem said:

the guy posting the link was touting the warranty as if it was something special, that was my point

if warranty is something to consider
then surely it makes sense to buy something new that actually has warranty????‍♂️

as i said hardware is usually replaced every 4-5 years
so why buy something 3 years old?
(warranty or no warranty)

It is. It's not just a warranty with the vendor wherein you have to send the thing back in order to get any satisfaction, it's a warranty directly with DELL wherein they will visit you to fix the issue. 

So that is something special in itself. In addition to this you also have access to their professional technical support. This of course if the warranty is transferable.

So these months will give the time to show if the device is problematic or not. If not, it is likely to last for years.

In addition you have six months of warranty from the vendor.

I have the same hardware from ten years ago, on average. Because I buy high quality, cheaply.

Not cheaply made rubbish that I need to replace every five years.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Wonder if the postie will let you boot it up, have a look at the software etc BEFORE you hand over your COD? 

Lately with Lazada, they won't even allow me to open the box on COD orders. Which is very different from the past, where they were willing to allow you to at least open the box and examine the actual product before handing over the money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

What software? You make sure that it is for what you paid. Testing can be done at home.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

No link in your post Tombazodner

For the EliteOne? I wasn't touting for it, rather giving it as an example. I can take a photo of one on my desk and find something in Lazada or Kaidee...

This is from Lazada... https://www.lazada.co.th/products/aio-hp-eliteone-800-g2-cpu-intel-core-i5-650032-ghz-ram-ddr4-4-gb-hdd-sata-500-gb-dvd-rw-led-23-wide-wifi-webcam-i764012675-s1489164873.html

Though I've got them for several of my friends between 6500 and 7500 baht in the past 6 months, which is lower than in link above. Admittedly, added 16 GB RAM and SSD between 500 and 1000 GB, leaving 2 empty 2.5" SATA bays.

IMG_6269 copy.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

What software? You make sure that it is for what you paid. Testing can be done at home.

So would you pay COD for a PC infected with virus, loads of bloatware, less RAM or a different CPU than you thought you were getting? Yes, testing CAN be done at home, but then you have the hassle of sending it back, and getting your cash back.

Buy NEW from a reputable dealer, always.

Edited by stouricks
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

So the good news for you is that it is cheap and easy to upgrade to a much better CPU/PC for a small amount of money.

Depends, OP, on how much want to spend for what. The "much better" here is actually just another old used computer, and you have all of those used parts already except a faster CPU. In the real world you probably would not notice much difference, if any, between an I3-4130 and an X4 945. Average bench 62.4% vs 57%.

4 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

CPU upgrade not possible or more accurately, won't make any difference as they are all poor. So forget about identifying Motherboard and all that.

On the contrary, the reality is that a CPU upgrade might well be possible and if so would make a difference as they are not all poor. Eindhoven has no idea as usual as he doesn't know what motherboard you have and doesn't want to know, or about X4s. ???? In fact, if you compare Eindhoven's lowly E8400, which he touts as quite capable and enough for your simple needs:

2020-07-25_071043_www.cpubenchmark_net.png.49c2a18fbe107f3089de3cf64612b07d.png

with a 600 baht X4, you see that the X4 is twice gooder for your simple needs. ???? So, yes, that would make a big difference.

image.png.02d1c41b995b48534d59378539e0bc36.png

Dell, BTW, sometimes has proprietary this & that (not always) that may need to be dealt with when upgrades and repairs arise.

OP, we'd know more if you'd give all the specs of your current machine.

If the CPU upgrade looks possible, you just take the new CPU, SSD, your Windows key, and your box to a reputable computer shop and they handle everything. They can install a new CPU cooler or you can buy one on your own, not expensive. They build computers all the time, so no big deal. Take it home and configure the software however you'd like.

Re: Win 10 installation, you can tell the shop you just want bare bones Windows Pro, no extras of any kind. No need for all the paranoia you typically find here.

BTW, I don't have a horse in this race. To me, a 40,000 baht computer sounds great if you've got the dosh. We'd have no problem here spending that amount for you.

I just suggest that if the Sempron upgrade is possible, as it likely is, then it's the cheapest way to go and maintains a lot of your old investment. I did something of the same more than a year ago when I ran across a fantastic deal on an FX-8350 CPU and used it, with an SSD, to upgrade a spare computer I had sitting around with perfectly good old parts. (Pro tip: pay more for quality if you want stuff that lasts.) It's really quite nice now and a worthy backup for my main box. ????