A new PC desktop for my home.

OneeyedJohn

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

Green is a very calming colour, it is only that one wall in my big room. Old photo, pre NUC!      Some people like RED, I prefer Sky Blue!

Given the larger picture its very pleasant on the eye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stouricks said:

Wonder if the postie will let you boot it up, have a look at the software etc BEFORE you hand over your COD? 

No chance I bought a new phone from them 9K and the driver refused to let me open first to have a look at which point i told him to keep it

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hereforgood said:

No chance I bought a new phone from them 9K and the driver refused to let me open first to have a look at which point i told him to keep it

Of course they do not let you open parcel and inspect goods before paying for delivery
(obviously any drivers that wrongly did this before were sacked or instructed not to)
if you open then drop it then hand it back to driver and refuse to pay
then the driver would need to pay for damage you done
it is not the delivery drivers responsibility to ensure goods are correct and working
it is their job to deliver the parcel and collect payment, nothing more????‍♂️

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, innosiem said:

Of course they do not let you open parcel and inspect goods before paying for delivery

You are not only paying for delivery. You are paying for the goods as well, so I would want to have a quick shuftie to see what's inside the box, and I do regularly if it is something of value, over Bht 1000 say.

5 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

The OP is happy to purchase a good quality ex-business machine.

I think I am, the idea of spending upwards of 30K is diminishing. Therefore I am happy to risk the supposed danger of purchasing a second hand / used model with unimagined ( for me ) processing power, better graphics and Windows 10 on an SSD. 

If I have to put the SSD and Win10 in myself then I presume that is doable at no huge expense over the cost of the tower, whether I do it myself or have a reputable ( KVC ) shop do it for me.

Thus the only decision left is what do I buy and how much to spend.

I went through 7 pages of Lazada Dell / DIY stuff yesterday, found 2 I liked and both out of stock. How can a secondhand item be out of stock, it is either sold or not sold, in which case the advert should be removed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, innosiem said:

(obviously any drivers that wrongly did this before were sacked or instructed not to)
if you open then drop it then hand it back to driver and refuse to pay
then the driver would need to pay for damage you done
it is not the delivery drivers responsibility to ensure goods are correct and working
it is their job to deliver the parcel and collect payment, nothing more????‍♂️

Sorry, but yet another totally made up scenario. Especially the fallacy of drivers being sacked. A totally false statement.

I check all my COD parcels to make sure the right item has been delivered. Also if box is damaged it won't be accepted.

A small tip always puts a smile on the face of the delivery driver.

Just now, OneeyedJohn said:

I think I am, the idea of spending upwards of 30K is diminishing. Therefore I am happy to risk the supposed danger of purchasing a second hand / used model with unimagined ( for me ) processing power, better graphics and Windows 10 on an SSD. 

If I have to put the SSD and Win10 in myself then I presume that is doable at no huge expense over the cost of the tower, whether I do it myself or have a reputable ( KVC ) shop do it for me.

I went through 7 pages of Lazada Dell / DIY stuff yesterday, found 2 I liked and both out of stock. How can a secondhand item be out of stock, it is either sold or not sold, in which case the advert should be removed.

Did I not link to a suitable model? If there was something you didn't like, point it out in so we can get the best via process of elimination.

Fitting SSD and installing Windows 10 to it is fairly easy. Most certainly you can do it yourself with clear instruction. In fact you really should do it yourself, as it allows you to make the right choices on installation for your usage.

You can choose to simply swap the existing leads from the old HDD to the new SSD, taking perhaps a couple of minutes overall or to connect the new SSD in addition to the old HDD already connected. So you'll have a super fast storage drive for Windows and the slower HDD for extra capacity in storing data such a picture and videos etc

All this is super simple once you know how. We will show you how, no need to worry.

Worst case scenario, the shop can take over if you feel that it is beyond you. But it really is not.

Business machines such as these are designed for easy maintenance, not looks. So with instruction, the fitting will takes a couple of minutes.

As to pricing, let's look at top end products. This way you know the maximum cost.

If you buy the likes of the Optiplex 9020:

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/crucial/mx500-250gb-2-5inch-internal-ssd-ct250mx500ssd1-p034803/ 1650 baht

If you buy the likes of the Optiplex 3050:

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/adata/256gb-xpg-sx8200-pro-pcie-gen3x4-m-2-2280-ssd-asx8200pnp-256gt-c-p041443/

Though you can pay as little as 600 baht for a lesser quality 120 GB SSD that will work with either.

Budget is up to you.

Windows 10 Pro licence around 100 baht.

So as little as 700 baht, up to 2000 baht, in total.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Here is a file that details my system.

ADMIN-PC.html 89.9 kB · 10 downloads

OK, to follow up then.

Asrock says this re: CPU compatibility with your motherboard:

- Support up to 95W Socket AM3+ processors
- Support for Socket AM3 processors: AMD Phenom™ II X6 / X4 / X3 / X2 (except 920 / 940) / Athlon II X4 / X3 / X2 / Sempron processors

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/960GM-VGS3 FX/

And so you could get this X4 955 3.2 GHz 95w for about B750:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32799061829.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.25851147rRYyUe&algo_pvid=6e7a7b88-cd52-4b05-b8fe-a3d4aa627836&algo_expid=6e7a7b88-cd52-4b05-b8fe-a3d4aa627836-0&btsid=0ab6f81615957484724416845e4899&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

Or an even faster FX-4300 for about B600:

image.png

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000129574737.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5fda56acxDP9DQ&algo_pvid=669914c6-2e80-4a81-aa02-ef6c41276530&algo_expid=669914c6-2e80-4a81-aa02-ef6c41276530-0&btsid=0ab50f4415957512636548012effed&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The graphics on your present video card is about 50% faster than the integrated I5 graphics, too.

Edited by BigStar

Just now, OneeyedJohn said:

Thanks fellas.

Oh Boy, am I in turmoil, what to do !

The one in my post #105 looks good to me. Modern enough to upgrade to an NVMe SSD in the future. Already fitted with an SSD and comes supplied with a Wireless network adaptor in so that you can connect immediately via WiFi.

So a good all round package that is easy on the pocket. 

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

The one in my post #105 looks good to me. Modern enough to upgrade to an NVMe SSD in the future.

Not really. Technically, to a M.2 PCIe SSD, which, OP, you'd probably never do. Not bad, though.

BTW, the vendor says "4 cores" but that CPU actually has only 2. It's not bad either, however, and the graphics on this one are better than what you have. 'Course, upgrading to a better card someday, if you ever needed it, as you don't, should be easy in your present machine.

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Already fitted with an SSD

A good point. But no HDD, which you'd have as backup in the old computer.

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

comes supplied with a Wireless network adaptor in so that you can connect immediately via WiFi.

'Course, the present old computer is already connected to the 'net, however it's done. Personally, I don't like WIFI.

3 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

So a good all round package that is easy on the pocket.

Lighter by B6000, and you have the old computer in the other pocket to . . . sell? With a Sempron? BTW, what would you do with the old computer? Just curious.

Needless to say, upgrading your old computer is a lot easier on your pocket up front. But a bit more hassle, true. Yet eventual maintenance on that old Dell will be also a bit of a hassle.

• the power button, usb and front panel audio cables are not standard nor are they documented.
  • the fan wiring is not standard.
  • third-party motherboards won't fit in that case.
  • measly little power supply, won't support much of a graphics card if desired; but then
  • the mb power connector has to use 24 to 6 pin not 8 pin connector.

Now I'll also throw out a heresy. We hate this; it causes our experts with SSD OCD to foam at the mouth. I can do it, however, as I already have 4 SSDs, one with Linux.???? Here it is:

You don't actually have to start w/ an SSD. Believe it or not. In fact, one of our members even dared do that for himself. ????

Yeah, you can first just upgrade the CPU for B600 and see how you like that. Your old computer is then saleable at least if you buy another used or new one.

Then, if you wish, you can actually upgrade your Win 7 to Win 10 for free and keep all your apps and docs. (Usually; almost always, I'd say). You could then clone that installation to an SSD later (which you could fit yourself, just buy a data cable). Or you could do do a fresh install yourself (much better, but strictly speaking not necessary).

Well, think it over. Guess I've put in my 2 cents. The Dell solution is quite doable, and I recall and interesting thread about a few years ago on the HardOCP forum when suddenly a bunch of Dell 790s were being unloaded on Ebay. Great buys, they were.

my solution for the past 15 years is a decent laptop (20k) with external

monitor/mouse/keyboard/speaker system,

it works just as well for as long as you dont play the most demanding games,

and has all the ergonomics of a stationary setup, but is more flexible

for a trip/move, and makes all the difference if you have to take it to the shop too,

with the accompanying shoulder bag vs trying to carry a desktop while driving with one hand.

just see to it it has hdmi & plenty of usb ports

Edited by scammed

18 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

Get a NUC, RAM & SSD from Invade, problem solved.

pretty much the basic net surfing, watching vids, downloading and watching movies, tv shows from torrent files, emails, spreadsheets, photo editing a little bit, google drive google photos, things like that.

Nothing that requires too much brain power or heavy application type stuff.

So still undecided but I do quite like the idea of swapping out my crappy sempron 140 processor for something better as mentioned above, even the FX-6300 at 1000 + baht has some appeal.  Gonna talk to my tech guy and get his opinion.

I can do things step by step until satisfaction is gained.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:39 AM, stouricks said:

You are not only paying for delivery. You are paying for the goods as well, so I would want to have a quick shuftie to see what's inside the box, and I do regularly if it is something of value, over Bht 1000 say.

the goods inside the parcel are of no concern to the man/company delivering the parcel
it is really not that difficult to understand.

5 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

pretty much the basic net surfing, watching vids, downloading and watching movies, tv shows from torrent files, emails, spreadsheets, photo editing a little bit, google drive google photos, things like that.

Nothing that requires too much brain power or heavy application type stuff.

So still undecided but I do quite like the idea of swapping out my crappy sempron 140 processor for something better as mentioned above, even the FX-6300 at 1000 + baht has some appeal.  Gonna talk to my tech guy and get his opinion.

I can do things step by step until satisfaction is gained.

if you want the cheapest option, yes just upgrade what you already have as much as possible
and if going the cheaper route
why even look for a pre built machine
when its quite easy and cheaper to buy the parts and build yourself

• Like 1

1 hour ago, innosiem said:

the goods inside the parcel are of no concern to the man/company delivering the parcel
it is really not that difficult to understand.

If you do look inside the parcel and the goods are not as ordered, you will not have the hassle of taking it back to say the Kerry depot after downloading and printing the return sheet, and then waiting for your refund. Is that not difficult to understand?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, stouricks said:

If you do look inside the parcel and the goods are not as ordered, you will not have the hassle of taking it back to say the Kerry depot after downloading and printing the return sheet, and then waiting for your refund. Is that not difficult to understand?

again, that is NOT the responsibility of the delivery man/company.
goods being correct and as stated is the responsibility of the seller
regardless how inconvenient it may be for you to return goods later

This thread is about a new PC
please do stay on point instead of rambling on 

Edited by innosiem

14 hours ago, scammed said:

my solution for the past 15 years is a decent laptop (20k) with external

monitor/mouse/keyboard/speaker system,

it works just as well for as long as you dont play the most demanding games,

and has all the ergonomics of a stationary setup, but is more flexible

for a trip/move, and makes all the difference if you have to take it to the shop too,

with the accompanying shoulder bag vs trying to carry a desktop while driving with one hand.

just see to it it has hdmi & plenty of usb ports

If OP was going to take it with him on trips (well, this Corona will be over one day, right) and didn't have a car, I'd probably say the same - laptop with monitor, mouse and keyboard makes sense. But there are also negatives in this, as that's a setup I use because of work:

- plugged in all the time kills battery very soon. I'm not using it without battery, but while on my laptop that's easy to do with 1 button bottom plate removal, on some other models that involves a lot of hassle, especially in newer slim models that have battery inside the body, not snapped on

- many of the notebooks of the past several years (darn you Apple for starting this) have memory and sometimes even SSD soldered to the mainboard. This makes upgrading very expensive or impractical.

- as most use ULV processors (except the fat, heavy gaming machines), their performance is also inferior to desktops, and until 8th generation Intel and 2nd generation AMD Ryzen they often only included dual core processors. Of course, OP would likely be more than happy with ULV processor given current setup.

Admittedly 20k budget should include 4 core i5/Ryzen 5 and very fast SSD like, which would look night and day in performance compared to what OP has now, but adding a decent 24 or 27" screen on top would set the OP back 25k baht or more.

Alternative would be a couple of years old laptop and screen, which could halve that expense and provide very similar performance. In that case I still think OP should consider i5/i7 processor that starts with 85xx or Ryzen 5/7 that starts with 2xxx/3xxx and make sure memory and storage are upgradeable. Luckily many brands (except in ultra thin laptops) still use RAM and SSD/SATA sockets.

1 hour ago, OneeyedJohn said:

This thread was good until you two guys hijacked it waffling on about deliveries.

Start your thread if all you want is to bicker about Kerry Express

Hence:
"This thread is about a new PC
please do stay on point instead of rambling on "
????‍♂️

i was not bickering about Kerry or any delivery service that offers COD
just pointing out the stupidity in some peoples comments about delivery
as i don't think stupidity deserves to go uncorrected in any thread.

have you decided what your plan is yet ?
lots of useful advice here already

Edited by innosiem
  • Sad 1