Steps required to enter Thailand

webfact

23 minutes ago, JUAinBKK said:
7 hours ago, ryane66 said:

Just my little assessment on the ASQ costs that most think is unreasonable. The cost quoted included two covid-19 tests with the going rate being 5000 baht each. Twice a day visit by nurses would have a cost. Three meals a day delivered to your room. Extra costs incurred by the hotel to meet strict requirements laid out by the health ministry. All of this really makes the 15 day stay fairly reasonable. I am in ASQ right now so speaking from experience not hearsay.

Thanks for the value added feedback.  What are the accommodations like?  Comfortable?  Internet? TV...?  Any members there who have been there for more than 24 days without reason?  Again, thanks for the feedback and any further details are appreciated.

Same here ryane66....   15 nights for 45,000 baht (3000 baht per night)

- Two Covid Tests (Hospital charges 5950 baht)

- Private Van from the Airport

- Nurse on site

- Clothing provided (surgical scrubs)

- Water, Coffee, Tea provided

- Free internet

- 3 Decent meals per day (a choice of 3 options per meal time)

- Meals include desert (muffin, brownie, bun - and always a couple of cookies)

So, costs removed I’m guessing about 2000 baht per night for a hotel in Central Sukhumvit (Suk 23).

The cost is certainly not excessive. 

Accommodation is comfortable: 

Kind Size bed, 4 very comfortable pillows

A standard size hotel room (24sqm)

Internet seems decent - can stream netflix, apple movies, Amazon Prime.

The in Room TV does not have Netflix - channels are fairly basic. 

I’ve not spoken with or seen any other guests. I have no reason to suspect anyone would be staying here longer than the required 15 nights. 

IF someone tests positive for Covid-19 I’m not sure what would happen but suspect we would be taken to a hospital quarantine facility and pre-emptively treated with Favipiravir (this is just an assumption, I’ve heard that people testing positive for Covid-19 are quartered in hospital and treated pre-emptively this way)

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:
19 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

For some time now, Thailand has been saying that covid specific insurance up to $100,000 is mandatory. I do not believe that has changed.

It's not only mandatory, but also non-existent. 

I don’t know how such a basic instruction can be come so misconstrued. 

Health / Medical Insurance which includes cover for any complications related to Covid-19 up to or above a minimum of of US$100,000 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dallen52 said:

Recently the system changed to allow your own embassy to process (And no need to send to Bangkok)

What are you talking about? Are you trying to tell us that your embassy are allowed to process and grant thai visas? Joking, right?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

From the links you have provided it is clear that your ‘hours of looking at the studies’ you have been looking at the wrong studies

Not really, I looked for studies related to masks and found little related to societal use, quite a bit of propaganda though, most studies are hospital and health care related as that's there intended use, I think you can conclude even from these studies that, as the WHO states:  "There is no specific evidence to suggest that the wearing of masks by the mass population has any potential benefit. In fact, there's some evidence to suggest the opposite in the misuse of wearing a mask properly or fitting it properly,"

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/30/world/coronavirus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

or the cdc

CDC 'does not recommend that people who are well wear a facemask to protect themselves from respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Facemasks should be used by people who show symptoms of COVID-19 to help prevent the spread of the disease to  others'.

Are you sick? If so maybe you should just stay indoors till you feel better.

I can find articles related to mask use on a societal level but they are more of a more psychological nature:

Psychotherapist Amy Morin explains that wearing the masks does more for our mental health than our physical well-being, by soothing our anxiety and giving us the illusion of being in control.

I'm not sick, though governments currently seem to want to treat everyone as though they are sick, I'm not anxious, and I don't need the illusion of being in control. So I don't need a mask to protect  myself or anyone around me.

thats my business’ is an incredibly selfish outlook in a time when we all need to follow sensible rules to protect each other. 

The rules aren't sensible, you may be doing more harm than good

No, the governments are telling us what to do...

They might be telling you what to do, I stopped listening to the UK government and it's vile propaganda a long time ago.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

COE.

Certificate of Entry. 

For return to Thailand. 

On 7/24/2020 at 10:37 AM, webfact said:

Travellers are required to contact the Royal Thai Embassy or consulate to get an entry visa and a certificate of entry, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis

• Like 1

Covid-19 tests are only done by the South African Health services on persons displaying COVID-19

symptoms together with a comprehensive list of people he/she has been in contact with during the previous 14 days. So, not that easy to get. Am checking to see if there are private clinics who can perform these tests. 

The "free to fly" cert/letter. Permission to board ones flight will rest solely with the results of ones health check at the airport?? If yes, then why the need for the "free to fly" cert.

So as far as I understand the usual Non-B visa run trip will cost up to $3000 instead of $150 and will last up to 30 days (if the neighboring country will have the mandatory quarantine too) instead of 3.

3 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks Yes ? … But ?

… Yes thanks for the Concrete Info re Costs ... Yes I am Being a Bit Limp re complaining about all of the paperwork, and I agree with you in that, but well,

.... I AM 64, so well after doing all of this <Deleted> for 40 Years now ... well Yes, ... and sorry, but I just AM getting sick of it !!! .... Like have been just doing it, … keeping my head down and dodging the Bullet for Bloody Years !!! … But well “I DO want to come back” !!! (Like where else am I going to go ?) ... And I DO get on pretty well in Thailand also, I Like the Thais and am OK to even very OK living there. …. But well since they started to try to force us all to have Health Insurance !!!!  About this time last year I think ? … Well this for me was when it all started to get a bit ??? <Deleted> for me ? (And possibly a lot of other People also ?)  ....

Yes just walk out the door as you suggest, and get arrested and then fined ! ... There was a couple in India that were Locked down in a Hospital, continually tested negative …but the Indians just kept them locked down for another 14 days ? Or More !!! Like this WOULD be pretty scary I think ? Like they even are making a LOT of mistakes in the tests here in Australia … so well it IS a pretty big Danger I think ! ?

…. and Just get Health insurance ... I have the Money ! ... But at 64 and just having spent 9 Days in Hospital, getting a discharge document that you could make a Movie about.  ...Yes you are right ! … Just give it a GO !!!  And I Intend to

.... But well, insurance at 64, after 9 days in Hospital ... I ..And possibly many others DO have some Physical problems really, probably, getting all of this done !!! .... Even though on the face of things you are right .... Just get on with it.

… and well the other Physical Fact ... from where I am there are NO commercial flights in to Thailand just now, ... and go to another state and you are likely to get locked down for 2 weeks !!! …. They will allot you Repatriation flight (But from the other states also) … after you have submitted all of the documents ..And well paid for them ??? ??? ... Like pay that 154038 Bart ...but have no guarantee then you are going to get a flight and get back in ! ... Like be insured for being in Thailand .... Even though you are still stuck in Australia until sometime mid next Year ...if you are Lucky .... Still you are right give it a go. ….

I might report y self, and ask them to remove my original Mail … as it WAS just a bit Week ! ? …. But well ?  I might just see who else replies ? And says what ? . ... Thanks all the same for the info,  ....and SO 154038 Bart ..Right ... Easy ... but plus the extras ..And yes ... I hope you get a repatriation flight, and then do manage to get in !!! … Otherwise it is all just lost I guess ? …

Ps. Yes wearing the full PPE all day would be REALLY Bad ! ..My brother has to do it and well he lives in Victoria and works in an old age Home so well he has to be pretty scared also !!! ...It IS a really REALLY Tragic Disease and a very Horrible Outcome !!! 

I'm in, currently in ASQ...  (hence why I’m filling half my day on this forum !).

There are no additional costs beyond what I have quoted - I’ll spend nothing for two weeks in Quarantine. 

Submission and application for the CoE costs nothing - it is only once the Embassy confirm approval of CoE that the allocated Repatriation flight is paid for, the ASQ booked. At this stage the CoE is issued and the Covid-19 tests can be booked.

There is a lot of paperwork involved with the application, there are a lot of hoops to jump through; we can either get on with it, sort ourselves out and get back, or we can complain.

It’s seems you have decided that returning is an insurmountable problem. Don’t give up, it's frustrating, but it's possible to get back - there were plenty of guys (married to a Thai) on the repatriation flight I was on.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mrfill said:
3 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

It's not only mandatory, but also non-existent. 

Not if you fly Emirates

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/help/covid19-cover/

Emirates are not flying passengers to Thailand on scheduled flights, so, the Emirates insurance in this case is a moot point. 

Health Insurance which provides cover in Thailand for any complications related to Covid-19 up to and beyond US$100,000 is readily available. 

Skeptic7’s comments that its non-existent is wholly incorrect. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 1:27 PM, Cali farong said:

I need to travel from Uk to thailand,see my thai wife and follow all the steps of applying for a cert of entry asq hotel etc.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a return repatriation flight.

In other words fly to thailand,stay say 2 months and get a return repatriation flight back to Uk.Or is this only a one way trip application???

Anyone believing the 'Steps to Enter' list on the OP should note that that is the theory.

Currently applications for a COE in the UK are suspended - no reason given.  When they do accept them the instructions say you are required to book both a flight and an ASQ hotel - without any dates given for travel.  It is not surprising then, that people who's COE has been granted are struggling to find ASQ hotels - they are booked up with 'phantom bookings' created by this crazy policy.  When you ask them what dates you should book you flights for or how you can book them with no dates, they just send you an email that says 'You are required to have a valid flight booking when applying for COE' - the e-mails just go back and forth - no sense, no explanations. I've even sent it in Thai - same reply.

The official policy on the RTE London website does not list flights as a requirement (it did previously) - only ASQ. But when you contact them for information, they tell you to book a flight. As far as we know, the suspension is because they haven't allocated flights for August yet - why don't they just say that?

I don't see the problem with simply checking your eligibility and putting you in a queue for the next available flight - maybe that's too easy.

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Emirates are not flying passengers to Thailand on scheduled flights, so, the Emirates insurance in this case is a moot point. 

Health Insurance which provides cover in Thailand for any complications related to Covid-19 up to and beyond US$100,000 is readily available. 

7 scheduled flights a week going via Dubai. The 1420 Saturday flight from Heathrow is currently en route.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/destinations/lhr/bkk/flights-from-london-gatwick-to-bangkok

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/EK/2?year=2020&month=7&date=25&flightId=1040835071&utm_source=2c3cb059f34c45eb:-4a30699c:1422d992599:470a&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=weblet

11 minutes ago, mrfill said:
26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

7 scheduled flights a week going via Dubai. The 1420 Saturday flight from Heathrow is currently en route.

https://www.emirates.com/uk/english/destinations/lhr/bkk/flights-from-london-gatwick-to-bangkok

https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-tracker/EK/2?year=2020&month=7&date=25&flightId=1040835071&utm_source=2c3cb059f34c45eb:-4a30699c:1422d992599:470a&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=weblet

Best of luck being able to board one of those flights in Dubai !!!!!  They cannot carry passengers into Bangkok.

Under Thailand's Emergency Decree passengers are not permitted entry into Thailand on any flight other than a repatriation flight organised by the Embassy (or some other ’special’ flights with permission)

Those flights are flying into Bangkok, but only as cargo flights. They maybe returning from Bangkok with some passengers.

Try and book a ticket for that Emirates flight tomorrow which you linked to - you won’t be able to. 

Try and book a ticket with Emirates into Bangkok for any date in July up to 29th August - you won’t be able to.

Additionally, further ahead (i.e. from 30th August) you will be able to book a flight and pay for a ticket. BUT, the airlines (many of them) are hedging their bets that the Emergency Decree will be lifted by then.

If the Emergency Decree is not lifted, the will offer you easy ‘rescheduling’ and make refunding you less simple, a refund will take 10-12 weeks to process - The Airlines want cash flow. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I stand corrected. When searched for this over a month ago, wasn't able to find anything here in The States. After a quick search just now, seems it is available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Anyone believing the 'Steps to Enter' list on the OP should note that that is the theory.

Currently applications for a COE in the UK are suspended - no reason given.  When they do accept them the instructions say you are required to book both a flight and an ASQ hotel - without any dates given for travel.  It is not surprising then, that people who's COE has been granted are struggling to find ASQ hotels - they are booked up with 'phantom bookings' created by this crazy policy.  When you ask them what dates you should book you flights for or how you can book them with no dates, they just send you an email that says 'You are required to have a valid flight booking when applying for COE' - the e-mails just go back and forth - no sense, no explanations. I've even sent it in Thai - same reply.

The official policy on the RTE London website does not list flights as a requirement (it did previously) - only ASQ. But when you contact them for information, they tell you to book a flight. As far as we know, the suspension is because they haven't allocated flights for August yet - why don't they just say that?

I don't see the problem with simply checking your eligibility and putting you in a queue for the next available flight - maybe that's too easy.

Do you have a link for these details that the CoE is suspended in UK?  

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And only for a 60 day maximum per trip..... 

So it's ideal for someone living in the UK who wants to visit Thailand for up to 60 days each trip a couple of times per year.

Its not idea for someone who wants to come over to Thailand for a 6 month holiday etc.

Exactly.....it suits me down to the ground.

Stuck here in UK, I would really appreciate this post being kept up to date and let people know when these restrictions are removed.  Hopefully for every one with a valid reason.  Say  having a Thai wife and family and not being a Chinese tourist.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Miss the wife and daughter every minute, but this is just complete lunacy. I'll just ride it out stuck in the UK and wait for this Thai lunacy to come to an end. 

End of the day I'm just going to bring them out of thailand for good at some point in the near future, Thailand's government can just lose the income from our family. I've had enough of the imbeciles

Trapped outside also, am trying to jump through all the flaming hoops to get back from the US on a repatriation flight.  If it were not for the fact that I have two teens finishing private high school in about 2 yrs and are doing extremely well at school and their life (don't want to upset that apple cart with a move), I would have moved the family back to the US about 6 weeks ago (once school year ended).   We will be returning to the US as soon as they graduate and will not look back.  Wife and my original plan was to stay in LOS after the kids went off to college in the US but, the way LOS has gone in the last 3 years, we have changed our minds about staying.  Thailand will just have to do without the substantial amount of $ we bring in every year.  There are other beautiful places in the world to visit for vacation and live.  I originally moved my family to Thailand to give my teens the experience of living outside of the US at a time they would remember it.  Has been quite the lesson for them in more ways than one.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

What are you talking about? Are you trying to tell us that your embassy are allowed to process and grant thai visas? Joking, right?

Yes, here in the US, that is what is happening for those who are on the list of people who can come back (Non-O based on marriage in my case).  I have all my ducks lined up, just need a reservation on a repatriation flight to start a rapid cascade of events to be allowed to come home to LOS.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I'm in, currently in ASQ...  (hence why I’m filling half my day on this forum !).

There are no additional costs beyond what I have quoted - I’ll spend nothing for two weeks in Quarantine. 

Submission and application for the CoE costs nothing - it is only once the Embassy confirm approval of CoE that the allocated Repatriation flight is paid for, the ASQ booked. At this stage the CoE is issued and the Covid-19 tests can be booked.

There is a lot of paperwork involved with the application, there are a lot of hoops to jump through; we can either get on with it, sort ourselves out and get back, or we can complain.

It’s seems you have decided that returning is an insurmountable problem. Don’t give up, it's frustrating, but it's possible to get back - there were plenty of guys (married to a Thai) on the repatriation flight I was on.

I am quite enjoying your well constructed, informative, snappy responses to some of the nutjobs who are posting to this forum.  Will miss them once your out of ASQ.  Maybe I'll take up the torch once I am sequestered in ASQ (hoping for end of August).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ryane66 said:

Just my little assessment on the ASQ costs that most think is unreasonable. The cost quoted included two covid-19 tests with the going rate being 5000 baht each. Twice a day visit by nurses would have a cost. Three meals a day delivered to your room. Extra costs incurred by the hotel to meet strict requirements laid out by the health ministry. All of this really makes the 15 day stay fairly reasonable. I am in ASQ right now so speaking from experience not hearsay.

People on this forum seem to revel in hysteria and complaint rather than informed common sense as you are providing. I have been dealing with the quirks of Thai life for 8 years, I jumped through all the hoops to convert my tourist visa to a 6 month non O and then non O retirement. Thailand has its own views and sensibilities and reasoning for most of the rules that folks complain about here. It would not make sense, nor would it reflect the cheap cost of housing and medical care, for ASQ to be priced out of reach of incoming revenue generating foreigners. Ever since my first trip here all the way to my permanent residency I have always allowed within my budget a preparedness for unforseen expenses such as this. 5000 baht amounts to about $80 US per week for the accommodation you describe. I personally thank you for posting a reality based description of the process. It is most helpful in my plans. For what it's worth, anyone who needs to get the health insurance should contact LUMA HEALTH, lumahealth.com , local agent Nuttarut Kitpowsong [email protected]

there is a good one year corona compliant policy available for 15,000 baht/year, which is about $40 US per month. It even covers emergency medical flight repatriation. 

On 7/24/2020 at 3:48 PM, DrTuner said:

Anybody who's dealed with immigration knows what this means. A mountain of paperwork or a brown letter lubricant.

So you are saying bribes will be openly expected and accepted in thai consulates around the world?

23 minutes ago, ttrd said:

Here is real stupidity at its best ....

Foreigners to be charged “$3000 deposit” for C-19 quarantine, tests

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/732611/foreigners-to-be-charged-for-c-19-quarantine-tests/

When you wrote ‘here is real stupidity at its best’ and then posted a comment and link completely unrelated to the thread or to Thailand, you were right !!!!! 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

When you wrote ‘here is real stupidity at its best’ and then posted a comment and link completely unrelated to the thread or to Thailand, you were right !!!!! 

when you take something out of a context so yes, then it often becomes stupid - you are absolutely right in that it was probably also the only thing ... :clap2: