BANGKOK
oslooskar

Will Thailand's humidity rot my books?

I should have asked the above question before shipping all my books from California to Thailand. So, if anyone has any information on the subject then please advise me on the best course of action to take as it would be greatly appreciated.

oslooskar

Don’t put them in a book case or a cupboard. Shelves with air supply are ok. Same goes for your passport. Mine turned green once !!

• Like 2

My book collection now looks like a fungus farm, tbh. I've moved house here many times over the years, and most of my old paperbacks and hardbacks are in plastic container boxes, mouldering away under the stairs. Can't bring myself to throw them away for some reason..

I keep all my reading on hard disk for my Kindle these days.  A full library on one thumb drive vs loads of clutter? No brainer.

• Like 2

Interestingly all my books are fine, however, shoes and plastics are a different  matter.

• Like 1

Over time yes they will. When I lived in Taiwan, most houses and condos kept what was termed a 'hot room'.  It was heated and  de humidified and you stored all your books, tapes ( in those day) CDs clothes etc in that room. It also had a couple of night lights on permanently , to deter 'woolly bugs' that would eat your clothes. I guess you can do that if you are that worried. My house is fairly new (5 years) and doesn't suffer from damp.  My books are in the book cases and they seem to be holding up very well. The rooms that they are in are rarely air conditioned, but are well ventilated. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldie said:

If you have termites in your area they will love them. 

I just wanted to comment exactly that.

But it seems they love only some books.

I had a couple of books on top of each other for some time somewhere in a corner.

From a distance all looked fine. Later I found out that termites eat basically everything inside of one book but they left the cover intact. Another book right next to the damaged book was 100% ok.

I have 80 or so assorted paperbacks and hardbacks, most of which have been in the house for ten years or more. Some have got a bit yellowed, but I haven't found any going totally rotten. I don't have aircon in my "study" which is really just an open upstairs landing, with two windows which are open all day with a fan running. A neighbour did get termites in his books, and had to throw them out, but I seem to have been lucky so far. If you have any rare books or documents (e.g. paintings) of any value, don't bring them to Thailand.

Thank God for e-books.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I have 80 or so assorted paperbacks and hardbacks, most of which have been in the house for ten years or more. Some have got a bit yellowed, but I haven't found any going totally rotten. I don't have aircon in my "study" which is really just an open upstairs landing, with two windows which are open all day with a fan running. A neighbour did get termites in his books, and had to throw them out, but I seem to have been lucky so far. If you have any rare books or documents (e.g. paintings) of any value, don't bring them to Thailand.

Thank God for e-books.

When I moved apartments 10 years ago I realised that almost all the paperbacks were yellow and basically unreadable,I didn't even think they were good enough for the charity shop so I put them in the recycling bin.

Struggling to get my head around shipping paperbacks.

Try BookBub for those old paperbacks and download them to your tablet or phone. 

Run your aircon on "DRY"
it will come on for little bursts every few minutes
so not like you got it on 24/7