Pattaya is smiling again! Top end hotels at 90% capacity for long holiday weekend

rooster59

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Only the Mera Mare is in what I consider Pattaya - the others are way up in Naklua.

Though you may consider only Soi Buakhao and Walking Street as Pattaya, in fact both Naklua and Jomtien are also in Pattaya.

The article quotes only one senior executive of the group that happens to own those particular hotels.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never heard of ANY of those named places in Patts... I wonder just how luxury they might be???

Well, that's the thing. If only they were fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao where the Golden Egg Layers always stay and we know the rent is at least B400 a night then we could say that Pattaya's has truly had a lucrative holiday weekend.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Well, that's the thing. If only they were fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao where the Golden Egg Layers always stay and we know the rent is at least B400 a night then we could say that Pattaya's has truly had a lucrative holiday weekend.

I’m a lowly Ibis shlub myself, but I gotta say that the retro interior decoration of some of these “high end” hotels Is pretty rockin.

B6364B54-0782-4195-9D13-EBB86F11CF8F.jpeg

12238D6D-B822-46BE-94C8-F9E3289C969C.jpeg

89C47503-3797-4752-AB64-29F9A1222D23.jpeg

D32C88F1-A294-4627-99E4-18CBB83B9CF3.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Ahhhh, but a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, but spend 10k on a night out, where as, a Thai can spend 3000 baht on a room, and spend 1000 baht on a night out.  

Do the math.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ahhhh, but a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, but spend 10k on a night out, where as, a Thai can spend 3000 baht on a room, and spend 1000 baht on a night out.  

Do the math.  

Or a Thai can spend 3000 a night on a room and 10K on a night out with the extended family at Edge, where as (sic) a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, 50 baht on baked beans and toast at Kiss, 300 baht on 44 baht beers, and, once every few days, another 500 at the coconut bar. Do the math. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Though you may consider only Soi Buakhao and Walking Street as Pattaya, in fact both Naklua and Jomtien are also in Pattaya.

The article quotes only one senior executive of the group that happens to own those particular hotels.

If you close almost all your hotels and then concentrate reservations on just one, you could theoretically claim nearly full bookings that way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Food, alcohol, massages, lady drinks, bar fines, boom boom, tips, shopping, transport etc.  The Golden Egg Layer's money is spread around, where as the tourist Thai family spend in fewer places.   Which one benefits more Thai's? 

Shopping? Those "Good Guy Go To Heaven, Bad Guy Go To Pattaya" T-shirts? In the end, as the number of baked-beans-on-toast tourists has dwindled, so has the amount of spending on all that cheap stuff. Hence more Thais have benefited as domestic tourist spending has vastly increased over the last 10 years in the better hotels, Thai restos, shopping malls, markets, festivals, discount stores, 7/11s, shopping carts, real estate-related, transport etc. Most of these you have no knowledge of. But the rise of domestic and Asian tourism, plus Russian, has accounted for the vast growth of Pattaya since the heyday of the GGLs in 1995, as I've previously shown you. Claiming that all the buildings are empty (pre-COVID) is the usual specious nonsense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shdmn said:

If you close almost all your hotels and then concentrate reservations on just one, you could theoretically claim nearly full bookings that way.

Could, but you see they didn't. Now other posters have confirmed that the projections of those mentioned are suggestive of others as well. I was surprised to drive by Centara and notice how full the parking lot is. Also that new hotel at T21 seemed to be doing well.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

What you fail to recognise is the Golden Egg Layer has paid at least 200 baht for his "Good Guys Go To Heaven, Bad Guy Go To Pattaya" T-Shirt.  Domestic Thai tourists will not even buy a T-Shirt.

Already factored in, pal, way ahead. The problem for your argument is that domestic Thai tourists will buy a pair of Adidas for 2000 and all that other higher-end stuff a GGL wouldn't touch w/ a barge pole.

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You also fail to recognise the Golden Egg Layer spending more on the cost of baked beans on toast, than a domestic Thai tourists spending on a bowl of noodle soup.

Also factored in. Trouble is, you see, the domestic Thai tourists vastly outnumber the GGLs and buy their entire families those bowls of noodle soup. At MK, perhaps. ????

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You like to paint the picture of high end Thai tourists coming here, but that's simply not the case.   

In fact they do come here, along with all the others, whether you wish to recognize it or not, as pointed out in the OP. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

You can dress it up how ever you want, but without incoming tourists the sector is not going to recover with just domestic tourism.

Usual straw man argument. Nobody ever said, implied, or thinks that domestic tourism will fully compensate for the loss of international. Happy?

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Somehow I don't think the typical inner Thailand 5-star tourists will walk around the "streets" especially not that walking street.

Buakhao was dead too, not a high end tourist in sight!

• Haha 1

????????????

High end hotels doing well but what about the majority which are little places? All us poor people love the moment with the chance to stay in a good hotel. Who would want to stay in anything else at this time when they are cheap. But I think the headline is more hype than a true picture.

I was thinking about going this weekend but the idea of fighting traffic turned me off. And I know others who just didn't want to put up with the jams. The constant horrible traffic and crowds has ruined travel and tourism for me. it's never going to be the same. Holidays are turning into something like those shopper rampages where everyone bursts through the doors to get in for special deals.

Edited by TooBigToFit
  • Like 1

I don't believe this spin, on a one hand there was an article that said Thai people will not spend money this holiday as they have already spent on a holiday in the beginning of this month and now "hotels are 90% booked" i'm told streets and venues are devoid of people so where are all the supposed tourists at?...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

I don't believe this spin, on a one hand there was an article that said Thai people will not spend money this holiday as they have already spent on a holiday in the beginning of this month and now "hotels are 90% booked" i'm told streets and venues are devoid of people so where are all the supposed tourists at?...

These hotels are often not on the cheap side. If someone really wants to travel he would be far better off in one of the cheaper ones without government discount. Perhaps the people sit now in the expensive discounted rooms and enjoy what they bought at a convenience store. 

5 minutes ago, Oldie said:

These hotels are often not on the cheap side. If someone really wants to travel he would be far better off in one of the cheaper ones without government discount. Perhaps the people sit now in the expensive discounted rooms and enjoy what they bought at a convenience store. 

I know a couple of guys who have traveled and stayed in hotels this last week and they have got better deals calling them direct rather than using the online booking platforms

10 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

You can dress it up how ever you want, but without incoming tourists the sector is not going to recover with just domestic tourism.

domestic tourism is just smearing money around. for every baht spent in a hotel its one less spent in a local restaurant or on the weekly makro/tesco run.

thailand doesn't gain anything its a zero sum game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Andrew23 said:

Hard to believe. Streets are deserted.

Beach road was jammed with cars from Bangkok yesterday afternoon. Also large queues coming into town at lunchtime from the highway.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChakaKhan said:

So just like the "Oldie" days.... ????

Of course not. It looks like Corona days. Pretty empty. And since the whole Made in Thailand area is closed (shops and bars) it looks even more empty. I could not see the hordes of tourists. At least not after 9 in the evening. 

• Sad 1

Those posting that they haven't heard of the hotels mentioned in the OP likely haven't because most are in the Wongamat/Naklua area.  And, Mera Mare is in the northern part of Pattaya Beach.  I'm not in town for this long weekend but at the last one a few weeks ago all the nice, big hotels in north Pattaya, and some of the smaller ones, were full.  Probably the same for the Wongamat/Naklua hotels and likely they will be full this long weekend, too.

Construction continues on a new, highrise hotel on Naklua Road, not too far from the fairly new Brighton Hotel.  Construction also continues on Grande Centre Point 2 in Wongamat. They will join the other new hotels built recently in north Pattaya and Wong Amat, including Ozo Hotel, Mytt, the new Amari addition, LK Emerald Beach, Cosi Hotel, Golden Tulip, Courtyard by Marriott, and a number of others.

All this new construction, and a lot of the construction Pattaya has seen for the past 10 years, is to primarily accommodate the new tourist/long-stay demographic, which is more Asian, more Russian, more young group travel, more young couples, and more families.  And, most of the new construction is far from the areas attracting western sexpats.

Now, is Soi Buakao busy this long weekend?  I have no idea as I almost never go there--no reason to.  Likewise for most of the new tourists and Bangkok weekend visitors Pattaya has been attracting these past years.  They are in other parts of Pattaya, many hidden away a bit.  The argument that Golden Egg Layers spend far more than other tourists and weekend visitors I find particularly ludicrous.  If that was the case, likely none of the above would have been built, or Terminal 21, or the hundreds of other new projects that have been built.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, BigStar said:

The three places all have their own identities and I think most people will go along with what I said.  I know that Pattaya City Municipality covers much more but if I was going to Naklua (or Jomtien) I would say that.  There is a reason they use Pattaya rather than their actual location as it attracts the tourist money.

Combine that with the fact that Pattaya stretches down to Bang Saray 15 miles away, and even gets its name on an airport in another province, I think my interpretation is much more reasonable than the hoteliers and anyone else who claims otherwise.

ETA:  My definition is not restricted to Buakhao and Walking Street as you surmised, but at least you got your bitchiness out there in the open.

Edited by treetops