Pattaya is smiling again! Top end hotels at 90% capacity for long holiday weekend

Just came back from a walk in Central Pattaya including Central Mall. To me it looked like all the days before. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went the opposite way to Bangkok.  Hotels there didnt want my custom for less that 7000 a night (special offer.)  Now tucked up in a lovely airbnb at a 7th of the price with lots more space/facilities

Hard to believe. Streets are deserted.

The Thai tourists  are not interested in the same "entertainment" venues as foreign tourists. They stay at their hotels by the pool, and dine at  nearby restaurants. Good news for the quality establis

Posted Images

1 hour ago, treetops said:

Only the Mera Mare is in what I consider Pattaya - the others are way up in Naklua.

Though you may consider only Soi Buakhao and Walking Street as Pattaya, in fact both Naklua and Jomtien are also in Pattaya.

The article quotes only one senior executive of the group that happens to own those particular hotels.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never heard of ANY of those named places in Patts... I wonder just how luxury they might be???

Well, that's the thing. If only they were fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao where the Golden Egg Layers always stay and we know the rent is at least B400 a night then we could say that Pattaya's has truly had a lucrative holiday weekend.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Well, that's the thing. If only they were fleabag hotels around Soi Buakhao where the Golden Egg Layers always stay and we know the rent is at least B400 a night then we could say that Pattaya's has truly had a lucrative holiday weekend.

I’m a lowly Ibis shlub myself, but I gotta say that the retro interior decoration of some of these “high end” hotels Is pretty rockin.

B6364B54-0782-4195-9D13-EBB86F11CF8F.jpeg

12238D6D-B822-46BE-94C8-F9E3289C969C.jpeg

89C47503-3797-4752-AB64-29F9A1222D23.jpeg

D32C88F1-A294-4627-99E4-18CBB83B9CF3.jpeg

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Ahhhh, but a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, but spend 10k on a night out, where as, a Thai can spend 3000 baht on a room, and spend 1000 baht on a night out.  

Do the math.  

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Ahhhh, but a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, but spend 10k on a night out, where as, a Thai can spend 3000 baht on a room, and spend 1000 baht on a night out.  

Do the math.  

Or a Thai can spend 3000 a night on a room and 10K on a night out with the extended family at Edge, where as (sic) a Golden Egg Layer can spend 400 baht a night on a room, 50 baht on baked beans and toast at Kiss, 300 baht on 44 baht beers, and, once every few days, another 500 at the coconut bar. Do the math. 

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, BigStar said:

Though you may consider only Soi Buakhao and Walking Street as Pattaya, in fact both Naklua and Jomtien are also in Pattaya.

The article quotes only one senior executive of the group that happens to own those particular hotels.

If you close almost all your hotels and then concentrate reservations on just one, you could theoretically claim nearly full bookings that way.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Leaver said:

Food, alcohol, massages, lady drinks, bar fines, boom boom, tips, shopping, transport etc.  The Golden Egg Layer's money is spread around, where as the tourist Thai family spend in fewer places.   Which one benefits more Thai's? 

Shopping? Those "Good Guy Go To Heaven, Bad Guy Go To Pattaya" T-shirts? In the end, as the number of baked-beans-on-toast tourists has dwindled, so has the amount of spending on all that cheap stuff. Hence more Thais have benefited as domestic tourist spending has vastly increased over the last 10 years in the better hotels, Thai restos, shopping malls, markets, festivals, discount stores, 7/11s, shopping carts, real estate-related, transport etc. Most of these you have no knowledge of. But the rise of domestic and Asian tourism, plus Russian, has accounted for the vast growth of Pattaya since the heyday of the GGLs in 1995, as I've previously shown you. Claiming that all the buildings are empty (pre-COVID) is the usual specious nonsense.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, shdmn said:

If you close almost all your hotels and then concentrate reservations on just one, you could theoretically claim nearly full bookings that way.

Could, but you see they didn't. Now other posters have confirmed that the projections of those mentioned are suggestive of others as well. I was surprised to drive by Centara and notice how full the parking lot is. Also that new hotel at T21 seemed to be doing well.

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

What you fail to recognise is the Golden Egg Layer has paid at least 200 baht for his "Good Guys Go To Heaven, Bad Guy Go To Pattaya" T-Shirt.  Domestic Thai tourists will not even buy a T-Shirt.

Already factored in, pal, way ahead. The problem for your argument is that domestic Thai tourists will buy a pair of Adidas for 2000 and all that other higher-end stuff a GGL wouldn't touch w/ a barge pole.

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You also fail to recognise the Golden Egg Layer spending more on the cost of baked beans on toast, than a domestic Thai tourists spending on a bowl of noodle soup.

Also factored in. Trouble is, you see, the domestic Thai tourists vastly outnumber the GGLs and buy their entire families those bowls of noodle soup. At MK, perhaps. 😉

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

You like to paint the picture of high end Thai tourists coming here, but that's simply not the case.   

In fact they do come here, along with all the others, whether you wish to recognize it or not, as pointed out in the OP. 

• Sad 1
12 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

You can dress it up how ever you want, but without incoming tourists the sector is not going to recover with just domestic tourism.

Usual straw man argument. Nobody ever said, implied, or thinks that domestic tourism will fully compensate for the loss of international. Happy?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BigStar said:

Usual straw man argument. Nobody ever said, implied, or thinks that domestic tourism will fully compensate for the loss of international. Happy?

Neither happy or unhappy. No need for sarcasm, it's ok to lose an online debate 555

• Like 2
  • Sad 1