Covid-19 fallout: More than 100 staff turn up to work only to find out they're sacked

rooster59

Covid-19 fallout: More than 100 staff turn up to work only to find out they're sacked

aHR0cHM6Ly9zLmlzYW5vb2suY29tL25zLzAvdWQvMTY0My84MjE1MjgyL3Nhbm9va190aHVtYm5haWxfMTIwMHg3MjAtMi5qcGc=.jpg

Image: Sanook

Sanook reported that well over 100 workers turned up at a Japanese owned shock absorber factory in the Amata City industrial estate in Chonburi only to find out that they had been sacked. 

Each of 130 workers was called in individually to be told the terms of their surprise dismissal.

There was no advance warning. Each was told that the coronavirus pandemic and its devastating effect on the economy meant they could not be kept on. 

One ageing employee said they had little chance of finding another job. They begged to be kept on but were denied.

A union at KYB (Thailand) is furious with the manner in which the company acted saying at the very least the company should have given advance warning.

A first phase of redundancies was announced for 150 people on the 15th of July and now 130 had been let go. 

Some complained that they were receiving very little compensation. 

Sanook described a tearful scene outside the company on Thursday as friends hugged each other before hearing their fate.

Thai Rath reported elsewhere that many of those sacked were 40 years old and up with a lot of financial commitments.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-25

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

The Japanese are generally known for their fairness in employment issues. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't give some kind of notice, or reward.

Is it possible that the workers were told, but chose to forget it! After all, when a foreigner speaks, they generally don't listen.

Anyway, I hope they are successful at finding new employment, although I don't have high hopes for them. ????

Why would they not listen when they're very close to lose their jobs? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

In the U.S., which failed to adopt any nationwide protective measures against CV, the annual death toll from the flu is typically 30,000 or so, heading up to 60,000 for really bad years.

Thus far from CV, in just 6 months or so, there are 140,000+ dead in the U.S. and heading toward more than 220,000 according to projections. At least for the U.S., CV has been nothing comparable to a bad flu year.

“Swine Flu”

The  US Centre for Disease and Control Prevention  (CDC)  estimated that 150, 000 to 575,000 people died from (H1N1) pandemic virus infection in the first year of the outbreak.

• 80% of the virus-related deaths were estimated to occur in those < 65 years of age.

COVID-19

An analysis of countries and US states or major cities with at least 250 COVID-19 deaths as of 4th  April reports that individuals aged <65 accounts for less than 10% of all COVID-19 deaths.

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/covid-19-deaths-compared-with-swine-flu/

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Some complained that they were receiving very little compensation.

How much compensation did they get? 3 Months salary? More? Less?

As far as I know labor laws in Thailand are strong. They all should get a reasonable compensation.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Sanook reported that well over 100 workers turned up at a Japanese owned shock absorber factory in the Amata City industrial estate in Chonburi only to find out that they had been sacked. 

A sign of the times and a lot more to come, any company supplying the automotive industry is going to be in for lean times... as car sales drop through the floor output will be cut. That goes right back though the whole supply chain.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

And it's also been admitted that if you test positive for covid and you died of being run over by a bus the reason for your death was put down to covid, so you can't even start to rely on the death figures...

There are probably some isolated exceptions like that, just as the medical experts say that the actual death counts of CV around the world at large probably have been considerably undercounted, especially in the early going when lots of people were dying without ever being tested. So your exceptions example doesn't even begin to counter the broader fatality reality.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 hours ago, thequietman said:

The Japanese are generally known for their fairness in employment issues. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't give some kind of notice, or reward.

Is it possible that the workers were told, but chose to forget it! After all, when a foreigner speaks, they generally don't listen.

Anyway, I hope they are successful at finding new employment, although I don't have high hopes for them. ????

Fairness yes but towards their own. Not towards non-Japanese. Have you worked for the Japanese?

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

And it's also been admitted that if you test positive for covid and you died of being run over by a bus the reason for your death was put down to covid, so you can't even start to rely on the death figures...

100% agree. I mean how many of the estimated 650,000 that die from seasonal flu each year were put down  in figures after being run over by a bus ? If the answer is none then we need to look again at all the silly figures this time.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

35 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

100% agree. I mean how many of the estimated 650,000 that die from seasonal flu each year were put down  in figures after being run over by a bus ? If the answer is none then we need to look again at all the silly figures this time.

Goes both ways. Whatever suits politics in that particular moment.

• Like 2