Second Stimulus Check nonfilers on SS/VA Benefits

On 7/25/2020 at 4:33 PM, rodknock said:

i still have not received the first stimulus payment.

am on social security and also did nonfiler.

I filed 2018, I am on Social Security with direct deposit. On checking the IRS site says a check was sent May 8 to the addtress where I lived a year ago. With US-Thailand mail down to a crawl ...

14 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

I filed 2018, I am on Social Security with direct deposit. On checking the IRS site says a check was sent May 8 to the addtress where I lived a year ago. With US-Thailand mail down to a crawl ...

I would call the IRS and ask for a replacement. It is more than the 9 weeks. Mine was sent on May 1st and lost, and I called to get replacement.

23 minutes ago, Pib said:

The GOP Senators and Representatives will ultimately ignore Donald's interference and negotiate something with the Democrats....and Donald will support it...that's how it ended up working for the CARES Act.  it's kinda like a bee (named Donald) that's lying around your head while you are trying to get some work done and you keep swatting it away until it flies away and leaves you alone.

Nice analogy... But among the problems here are the fact that Senate Republicans themselves are divided on whether or not to allocate CV aid money. Some want none... Some want some for certain things but not others. And most don't want anywhere near as comprehensive package as the House Dems. passed (which AFAIK didn't include billions for an new FBI building or Defense Department weapons programs, unlike the Senate Republicans' proposal).

How to find commonality among those widely divergent views, especially when a bumble bee like Trump is buzzing about, is going to be a challenge. You know, the kind that typically would require presidential leadership and deal-making -- something we're not likely to see from the current administration.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

I filed 2018, I am on Social Security with direct deposit.

To a US bank or a Thai bank. They cannot send them to a Thai bank.

1 hour ago, wwest5829 said:

On checking the IRS site says a check was sent May 8 to the addtress where I lived a year ago.

Is that the address you used in 2018 to file the taxes and/or your address on file with the SSA.

24 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

To a US bank or a Thai bank. They cannot send them to a Thai bank.

Is that the address you used in 2018 to file the taxes and/or your address on file with the SSA.

Hello, Joe. My SS has been directly deposited in my US Fidelity bank account since retiring in 2011. The address IRS says they mailed the check to was the address on the 2018 US Tax Return. I moved August 1, 2019. My mailing address for US SS file remains my Son’s home in the US.

1 hour ago, racyrick said:

I would call the IRS and ask for a replacement. It is more than the 9 weeks. Mine was sent on May 1st and lost, and I called to get replacement.

After 9 weeks, one can FAX a Form 3911 and I have done so. After an additional 6 weeks, one can check again. I was fortunate enough to have a major hotel send the FAX, hopefully all 3 pages went through. I did not want to use a FAX office on the street as I was sending my bank account details with request the funds be directly deposited. Fortunately, I am not relying on those funds to eat.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Thanks 1

I got my first "stimulus" check and Bangkok bank wouldn't accept it. The local PO wouldn't accept a letter where I tried to mail it to my bank in California. So I had to Fed Ex it to that bank in the US. It cost me $40. Thank God the money was free. I guess Fed Ex is going to get another  $40 if I ever get the second stimulus check.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

You can look at some average rent prices here: https://www.rentcafe.com/blog/rental-market/local-rent-reports/southern-california-rent-report-july-2019/

One California city as high as $3,500... AVERAGE. 

$1,200? 

Not that it does not help... but, ok.... 3,500-1,200 = $2,300 left to pay, and that is without food or gas. 

I think they based the $1,200 out of costs for the old boys livin down in the bayou, drinkin Pabts Blue Ribbon. 

There are many Ca cities, many where $1200. pays the rent for a month.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

You are not eligible per the CARES Act which your Congressman probably voted for.  I agree that it's not right.

In the HEROS Act that the House passed several months but the Senate never moved on it would have allowed you to get a payment...and your ITIN spouse also.  The Republican HEALS Act that the Senate unveiled a few days ago basically maintains the same eligibility requirement as the CARES Act that was passed into law.  

As our Democrats and Republicans come to some compromised act over the coming weeks I hope the Democrat proposed eligibility requirements win out.   Time will tell.

CARES Act Eligibility 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center#eligibility

image.png.145d813fe33b078963b9ea70b7b0dd57.png

15 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

I think she was telling you to file an amended return and not file jointly. I am not a tax whiz but i did not see a reason on green earth why someone would file joint with a non us spouse. 

I will have to do the math, but... If I file an amended return,  would I have to file 2018 and 2019?

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I will have to do the math, but... If I file an amended return,  would I have to file 2018 and 2019?

I’m a non filer I don’t know but my wife and I received ours last time. It is ridiculous how it’s getting held up by the likes of the FBI who doesn’t deserve a new building right now. If it wasn’t for things like that the people who really need it the most in the states would have it by now. Hopefully we’ll know the date when it’s signed but they’re promising mid August. 

Edited by DerekJ
1 minute ago, DerekJ said:

I’m a non filer I don’t know but my wife and I received ours last time. It is ridiculous how it’s getting held up by the likes of the FBI who doesn’t deserve a new building right now. If it wasn’t for things like that the people who really need it the most in the states would have it by now. 

Does your wife have a US SSN?

11 hours ago, Kurtf said:

I got my first "stimulus" check and Bangkok bank wouldn't accept it. The local PO wouldn't accept a letter where I tried to mail it to my bank in California. So I had to Fed Ex it to that bank in the US. It cost me $40. Thank God the money was free. I guess Fed Ex is going to get another  $40 if I ever get the second stimulus check.

You can scan checks into most all banks i can think of with the bank's app, usually. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

There are many Ca cities, many where $1200. pays the rent for a month.

Ok. But what about rent, plus food, plus gas, plus utilities. Any cities where 1200 covers that? Maybe the tent cities in LA. And, the payments are not close to being monthly, as they are in many countries, so we can slash that 1200 by 1/2 or 1/3.

Better than nothing, but it is just a pittance scattered to the peasants. 

Edited by utalkin2me
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Contrary to popular belief, a person can not amend a return just for any reason---and one of them is  changing filing status except under specific situations and unless doing it before the annual filing deadline which is 15 July 2020 for the 2019 tax year but 15 Apr for normal tax years...extended tax deadline when filing for an extension does not apply.   Additionally, if you could change from married jointly to say married filing separately the impact on the other person comes into play as in possibly requiring them to file a return also.

Below Efile webpage gives a layman's overview of changing filing status....basically a no-can-do if after the normal filing deadline each year and unless a specific reason applies like maybe a deceased spouse.

https://www.efile.com/married-filing-jointly-tax-filing-status/

But using the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) is best.  Go to below ITA webpage below dealing with "Should I File An Amended Return"  and walk through the half dozen of so questions to determine if you can change from a joint return to any other filing status.  For the "has the tax deadline passed"  question which is 15 July for tax year 2019 or 15 Apr for other years you select Yes since we've passed the normal tax filing deadline (remember, extended deadlines do not apply).   I walked thru that ITA webpage to see if a joint return could be changed to any of the other filing statuses like Single, MFS, Head of Household, etc., and the answer was NO!!!  It will gives reason why you can't as you go thru the questions.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/should-i-file-an-amended-return

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Pib said:

Contrary to popular belief, a person can not amend a return just for any reason---and one of them is  changing filing status except under specific situations and unless doing it before the annual filing deadline which is 15 July 2020 for the 2019 tax year but 15 Apr for normal tax years...extended tax deadline when filing for an extension does not apply.   Additionally, if you could change from married jointly to say married filing separately the impact on the other person comes into play as in possibly requiring them to file a return also.

Below Efile webpage gives a layman's overview of changing filing status....basically a no-can-do if after the normal filing deadline each year and unless a specific reason applies like maybe a deceased spouse.

https://www.efile.com/married-filing-jointly-tax-filing-status/

But using the IRS Interactive Tax Assistant (ITA) is best.  Go to below ITA webpage below dealing with "Should I File An Amended Return"  and walk through the half dozen of so questions to determine if you can change from a joint return to any other filing status.  For the "has the tax deadline passed"  question which is 15 July for tax year 2019 or 15 Apr for other years you select Yes since we've passed the normal tax filing deadline (remember, extended deadlines do not apply).   I walked thru that ITA webpage to see if a joint return could be changed to any of the other filing statuses like Single, MFS, Head of Household, etc., and the answer was NO!!!  It will gives reason why you can't as you go thru the questions.

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/should-i-file-an-amended-return

Thanks for the info @Pib  When I spoke to the IRS, they did say I could file for the payment on my 2020 return. Not sure how but time will tell...

4 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Thanks for the info @Pib  When I spoke to the IRS, they did say I could file for the payment on my 2020 return. Not sure how but time will tell...

Will have to wait and see what the tax rules/forms for tax year 2020 allow for the stimulus payment.

I expect the next stimulus act that Congress is trying to negotiate right now will also include provisions to help clarify what the IRS will and will not allow regarding claiming the stimulus payment(s)....the current approved stimulus payment and the next stimulus payment still being negotiated.  I'm sure the IRS is providing plenty of input to Congress as to what the next stimulus law needs to specifically say to clearly identify eligibility, modify existing tax laws to avoid tax law conflicts, etc.  

Hopefully some folks who were not eligible before will become eligible.    And maybe if the next tax act under negotiations allows stimulus payment to people excluded before, the IRS may make those payments this year versus a person needing to waiting until next year in filing a return.  Will just have to wait and see what happens.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, DerekJ said:

Good news update today for those of us on SSI/VA ETC we will be receiving our stimulus check before everyone else this time still looking like mid August more than likely. 

Can you please copy and paste the link to this news.  I cannot find anything new today except more POTUS BS about how he wants people to get more than $1200 ...Bill still stalled in Congress AFAIK

15 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Can you please copy and paste the link to this news.  I cannot find anything new today except more POTUS BS about how he wants people to get more than $1200 ...Bill still stalled in Congress AFAIK

Indeed it is... The other poster persists in repeated posts of factually bereft nonsense.

Screenshot_8.jpg.2cc8a15578e53351b2d114b1cdddeaa8.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Roughly 30 million Americans will see their incomes plunge dramatically on Friday, worsening a coronavirus-induced recession that has already led to the steepest drop in economic output on record.

The Senate adjourned for the weekend Thursday without reaching an agreement on a new aid bill, meaning that most out-of-work Americans will go from receiving $930 a week to $330 as emergency unemployment benefits expire.

Meanwhile, new jobless claims are rising again, business closures are becoming permanent and tens of millions of Americans said they didn’t have enough to eat in the past week.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/31/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news

• Haha 1

Here's a news article that includes an easy to read chart comparing the CARES Act (passed into law in March generating the current $1200 payments),......the HEROS Act passed by the House several months ago which authorized more $1,200 payments but the Senate never took action on it,....... and the HEALS Act which is a Senate Republican proposal and hasn't even been voted on by the Senate...it's the one our elected representatives are arguing over right now.

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/heals-vs-cares-vs-heroes-acts-whats-the-difference-between-the-stimulus-packages/

• Like 1

Senate Republicans can't get their act together on the HEALS Act proposal or another negotiated stimulus package as of Friday.  Getting something passed through the Senate is going to require the remaining Republicans and most of the Democrats.   But I bet by this coming Friday (7 Aug) the pressure and hate mail from the public will become to great on our elected representatives which are holding out and a negotiated agreement will be reached between the White House, Republicans, and Democrats which will then allow a vote in the Senate and House....then onto the president.  I'm still forecasting around 24 Aug the earliest the first payments may go out....but for sure payments beginning to go out by Labor Day 7 Sep.

See below The Hill news link for full story....partial quote also below.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/510094-mcconnell-15-20-gop-senators-will-not-vote-for-any-coronavirus-deal

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Friday that more than a third of Republican senators will not vote for any coronavirus relief package, underscoring division with his caucus.....

If 20 Republicans voted against an eventual coronavirus deal, that means McConnell would need support from at least 27 Democratic senators to get the bill over a 60-vote procedural threshold and pass it in the Senate. McConnell said during an interview with PBS "Newshour" earlier this week that "about 20 of my members think that we’ve already done enough." 

On 7/31/2020 at 8:20 AM, Jeffrey346 said:

Does your wife have a US SSN?

Oh yeah and we both received the last one. They’re dicking around with the bill in DC but it’s coming they promised it and it’s an election year. If I was out of work because of lockdowns I’d be furious. 

On 7/31/2020 at 2:26 PM, Skallywag said:

LA LATE on YouTube seems to have the most current information. It’s still not signed yet by the way but it’s looking much better today because a deal is now eminent. 

• Haha 2