Second Stimulus Check nonfilers on SS/VA Benefits

6 hours ago, DerekJ said:

a deal is now eminent. 

Have you seen the lack of cooperation in the House and Senate over the last 3.8 years?   Currently they are trying to get extra unemployment benefits extended. There is no news on an additional "stimulus" check. 

Your concern and positivity is refreshing.

Hope you are not living in LOS hoping that another $1200 will change your life for the better.  LOL

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, DerekJ said:

Looks like only a week or two now. 

But you have been saying (see your earlier quotes below) the stimulus bill will be signed any day now, will be signed today, and/or has been signed today.  You've been saying that for at least a week now.  Maybe time to find some news sources other than LA LATE on Youtube. 

On 7/26/2020 at 12:33 PM, DerekJ said:

They’re about to sign it any day now we’re getting at least as much as last time we already know that. Supposed to be mid August. They say it’ll be faster for us this time. 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:02 PM, DerekJ said:

Fox News just confirmed as well the actual bill should be signed today then we should know exactly how much but it’s supposed to be at least what we got last time which was $1200 per person so again at least $2400 USD for a married couple. 

On 7/27/2020 at 5:25 PM, DerekJ said:

Confirmed $1200 per person but after the bill is signed which should be today it could end up being more but definitely not less. 

Not much new/news to report... No one should be holding their breath at this point:

Relief Package Deal Remains Elusive as Impasse Over Jobless Benefits Persists

Negotiators acknowledged some progress over the weekend, but said they remained far apart on a number of issues.

WASHINGTON — Top Trump administration officials and lawmakers cautioned on Sunday that a deal over a new relief package to help people and businesses weather the coronavirus crisis remained elusive even as the debate over the details of the aid was set to take center stage in the coming week.

A meeting on Saturday in the Capitol Hill suite of Speaker Nancy Pelosi had been the most productive discussion in recent days, officials said, but they remain divided on a number of issues, including how to revive lapsed unemployment benefits for tens of millions of Americans and how broad any deal should be.

“We still have a long ways to go,” Mark Meadows, the White House chief of staff, who is negotiating on behalf of the administration, said on CBS’s “Face the Nation.” “I’m not optimistic that there will be a solution in the very near term.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/02/us/politics/coronavirus-jobless-aid.html

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Regarding one specific area of the ongoing negotiations regarding "eligibility" for whatever stimulus payment amount they agree on, where those people who filed joint returns where one spouse had a SSN and the other an ITIN and since one of them had an ITIN then neither got a $1,200 payment,  it appears the negotiators on both the Democrat and Republican sides support/are very receptive to allowing the person with the SSN to get a payment but the ITIN person still would not.  So, instead of a husband and wife (one with a SSN and one with an ITIN) getting nothing, the person with the SSN would get a payement.

Based on several news reports I read over the weekend that seems to be the direction the negotiators are drifting versus also allowing a person with an ITIN to receive a payment.  But the wind of negotiations could change that course back to neither getting a payment or both getting a payment because folks with ITINs would now be authorized a payment.  And it's still unclear if eligibility would be retroactive back to the CARES Act payment.  Time will tell. 

My gut tells me the leadership negotiators will reach a deal before the upcoming weekend allowing both the House and Senate to vote on it next week.  Then  1 to 3 weeks after becoming law the payments will begin flowing out.   

Edited by Pib
3 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Have you seen the lack of cooperation in the House and Senate over the last 3.8 years?   Currently they are trying to get extra unemployment benefits extended. There is no news on an additional "stimulus" check. 

Your concern and positivity is refreshing.

Hope you are not living in LOS hoping that another $1200 will change your life for the better.  LOL

Did you not receive the last check? ???? 

we did. 

Edited by DerekJ
21 hours ago, DerekJ said:

Looks like we’ll probably receive it sometime next week after it’s signed according to reliable sources. 

Hope you're not making your living as a fortuneteller.... :cheesy:  At best, a bill MIGHT go to Trump sometime next week... And any checks would be some time after that...

Even a broken clock tells the right time twice a day... But your time hasn't arrived yet.

WASHINGTON – After more than a week of discussions, top Democrats and negotiators from the White House say a deal on a coronavirus stimulus package could be reached by the end of the week and approved as early as the following week, potentially good news for millions of unemployed Americans whose boosted unemployment benefits have expired

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/08/04/coronavirus-stimulus-bill-dems-white-house-say-deal-could-near/3293323001/

"They made some concessions, which we appreciated. We made some concessions, which they appreciated. We're still far away on a lot of the important issues," Schumer told reporters after the meeting. "The fundamental disagreement is the scope and depth of the problem and its solution."

They haven’t signed yet I don’t know if they have yet but word is a deal has been reached and it’s coming within a week after it’s signed faster than the last check this time around. ???? So I’ll post my Deposit here when it’s in. And it’s $1200 per person again and there maybe more checks in the coming weeks. 

Edited by DerekJ
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

But here back on plant Earth, as of Thursday evening/6 Aug, no deal has been reached...not even close to a deal based on planet Earth news reports....Democrats and Republicans still far apart.  Unknown if a Friday/7 Aug meeting will occur.

Washington Post partial quote

image.png.7bfbcb83feff499d5e086b77a8efa3f5.png

• Haha 1

There's been increased talk in the past week that, failing a deal with Congress, Trump might simply try to do various things by executive order, including restoring the evictions moratorium, restoring some level of enhanced unemployment benefits, student loan relief, payroll tax, etc... possibly by reallocating play money available in the federal piggy bank somewhere.

But as for the focus of this thread, the $1200 stimulus payment proposal, I haven't heard any word that there's any way he could do that via fiat without Congressional approval.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2020/08/06/stimulus-package-stimulus-checks-student-loans-unemployment-payroll-tax/#468c27c05d22

From the AP overnight:

Second stimulus check updates: Coronavirus relief talks in Washington on brink of collapse as sides still ‘far apart’

By ANDREW TAYLOR
ASSOCIATED PRESS |
AUG 06, 2020 AT 8:55 PM

WASHINGTON — Washington talks on vital COVID-19 rescue money are teetering on the brink of collapse after a marathon meeting in the Capitol Thursday night generated lots of recriminations but little progress on the top issues confronting negotiators.

“There’s a handful of very big issues that we are still very far apart” on, said Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, who depicted impasses on aid to states and local governments and renewing supplemental unemployment benefits.

The White House is also promising that Trump will attempt to use executive orders to address elements of the congressional package involving evictions and jobless benefits. But there's no evidence that the strategy would have much impact or be anything close to what's necessary, and Pelosi appeared unimpressed at a morning news conference.

Again, no clear explanation of whether the $1200 payments could or could not be done in the absence of congressional approval. But it sounds like not.

All the stuff Trump being talking about possibly doing via executive order is really just tinkering around the edges.   Like he might be able to place in abeyance the paying of employer and employee social security taxes (which most Republican and Democrat politicians and older voters do "not" support as it will weaken the social security pot of money and does nothing for someone out of work) and place short term limitations of evictions.   While these actions may make some happy, it doesn't make others happy. 

Money-wise there is little Trump can do that will put any significant amount of money into the hands of Joe on the Street since it's Congress that must authorize/approve funding to pay for programs like unemployed benefits, the $1,200 payments, etc.  While Trump can move/reprogram some small amounts around to pay for other things, like how he raided/reprogrammed DoD money pots to pay for some wall building, it's really small change in the big scheme of things.

Regarding the $1,200 payments, it seems the Republicans and Democrats are no longer fighting over that as the Republicans/Sen McConnell dropped objections to the payment.  It's the other things like the amount of weekly unemployment, employer protection from COVID law suits, how much longer some benefits will last, etc., that have things bogged down.

15 hours ago, Pib said:

Regarding the $1,200 payments, it seems the Republicans and Democrats are no longer fighting over that as the Republicans/Sen McConnell dropped objections to the payment. 

Correct, everything I'm seeing says they're no longer disputing over the $1200 payment amount. But the question seems to be, can that payment get included in some broader package that Congress and the president can collectively agree to pass?  It seems that's where the trouble lies. 

Negotiations are back on ???? for a minute there I thought it was over but they know if they don’t do it after promising it to millions of Americans that November will be the end of their careers. So it could possibly still be late August or early September potentially. 

21 hours ago, DerekJ said:

Surprisingly it looks like the check will still come before the end of August. 

The various news reports in the past 24 hours report the two sides talked on the phone, but made no progress toward any overall package deal.

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows must meet with Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Speaker Pelosi to reach an agreement.

The Hill reported that Speaker Pelosi and Treasury Secretary Mnuchin spoke by phone today but made no progress.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimwang/2020/08/12/wheres-the-second-1200-stimulus-check/

If Congress can't reach an agreement by Friday, Americans probably won't see a 2nd stimulus check until September at the earliest

https://www.businessinsider.com/second-stimulus-check-september-if-congress-agrees-this-week-2020-8

Yea, planet Earth news reports like below TheHill 13 Aug report show the Senate and House have left town until early-mid September since the 2nd stimulus package negotiations have stalled.  Although they could be called back to vote on a negotiated deal, there is little sign the White House and Democrats want to restart serious negotiations until one side or both make some major concessions.  Both sides talk they have the better poker hand in the negotiations, but personally I think the Democrats have the better hand and polls bear that out.  I expect there will be a deal signed, sealed, and delivered but not until the Sept timeframe.  And by deal made I mean the negotiators reach a deal and both chambers of Congress pass it into law and the president signs it.  Then 1 to 3 weeks later the payments will start flowing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/511896-senate-leaves-until-september-without-coronavirus-relief-deal

17 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect there will be a deal signed, sealed, and delivered but not until the Sept timeframe.  And by deal made I mean the negotiators reach a deal and both chambers of Congress pass it into law and the president signs it.  Then 1 to 3 weeks later the payments will start flowing.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/511896-senate-leaves-until-september-without-coronavirus-relief-deal

Hmmm... I wonder if it's possible that Trump and his advisors are intentionally holding out in order to have the stimulus checks -- bearing HIS signature, because he changed the normal federal payments procedure to glorify himself -- be mailed out and received closer to the early November election date. With him hoping that will gain him some campaign/election advantage.... Have no idea if that's true, but I certainly wouldn't put it past him - to focus on his dwindling re-election prospects while millions of Americans are going without and facing evictions in the meantime.

They’re still arguing about hazard pay, and rental assistance. But according to a report just now on LALATE on YouTube the Treasury Secretary might be giving out checks in as soon as ten days via Executive Order. I guess they can sue away after we have the money apparently ???? 

2 hours ago, DerekJ said:

I think maybe LALATE on YouTube is repeating DC rumors and trying to put a positive spin on it. 

I've looked at a couple of LALATE youtube videos...they are garbage...low accuracy of facts (i.e., wrong a lot)...."clickbait."