Video shows how coronavirus has left parts of Koh Samui deserted

On 7/26/2020 at 6:19 PM, condo62 said:

Thai government are saying you will need Covid-19 insurance to travel....all the travel insurances companies i have checked exclude pandemics so who is offering cover for this...?  

It's simple really. If the Junta don't want tourists them tourists will fine another country to go too to spend their money and creating jobs.

On 7/27/2020 at 2:21 PM, DrTuner said:

That was fun. I stared at it for 2 minutes and saw one motocy and a black cat. I was waiting for Will Smith to walk into the picture.

p170977_v_v8_am.jpg

Yep, i wasn´t sure, if YouTube or my internet connection froze.

But no, it´s real . .

• 3 weeks later...

Just for comparison, this is Phuket after "reopening"...

The text following the video says...

PATONG BEACH Phuket July 2020 - pretty devastated ????????. This is how Patong looks like today. This is not lockdown footage. Phuket is open for domestic tourists only. Without tourists it is pretty devastated. Still not sure when tourists are allowed back. On a positive note the beaches are beautiful, clean and empty at the moment. People and businesses are really struggeling during this time here on the island. 00:00 Beach Raod 07:40 Bangla Road 15:30 Beach Road 18:20 Second Road

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

PATONG BEACH Phuket July 2020 - pretty devastated ????????. This is how Patong looks like today. This is not lockdown footage. Phuket is open for domestic tourists only. Without tourists it is pretty devastated. Still not sure when tourists are allowed back. On a positive note the beaches are beautiful, clean and empty at the moment. People and businesses are really struggeling during this time here on the island. 00:00 Beach Raod 07:40 Bangla Road 15:30 Beach Road 18:20 Second Road

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Just for comparison, this is Phuket after "reopening"...

Sad for everyone involved - all over Thailand. Nothing to laugh about here.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 2

Phew. i can´t believe how lucky i was in my timing . . .

Had a business in the center of Chaweng, permanent monthly running costs of over 150000 Baht before any profit, and was struggling more and more the last years, as i couldn´t keep up with the changes in tourism (chinese), plus ever increasing bureaucratic hurdles for farang business owners.

As i had 20 crazy, laborious, but lucrative years and no intention to lose what i made, i decided to pull the trigger and closed my business and company.

Right then Corona came. Bang.

Am enjoying my retirement life now, with Koh Samui as it was 30 years ago. But it feels not to good, as it is this way for the wrong reasons.

I hope this will not just mean hardship only, for a totally tourism dependent economy here, but also make the people rethink their stance against foreigners, as many have become arrogant over the years of easy tourism income.

This can have some positive sideeffects on people too, let´s hope they use it. Well, i can hope, right ?

Edited by starfish
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, starfish said:

Phew. i can´t believe how lucky i was in my timing . . .

Had a business in the center of Chaweng, permanent monthly running costs of over 150000 Baht before any profit, and was struggling more and more the last years, as i couldn´t keep up with the changes in tourism (chinese), plus ever increasing bureaucratic hurdles for farang business owners.

As i had 20 crazy, laborious, but lucrative years and no intention to lose what i made, i decided to pull the trigger and closed my business and company.

Right then Corona came. Bang.

Am enjoying my retirement life now, with Koh Samui as it was 30 years ago. But it feels not to good, as it is this way for the wrong reasons.

I hope this will not just mean hardship only, for a totally tourism dependent economy here, but also make the people rethink their stance against foreigners, as many have become arrogant over the years of easy tourism income.

This can have some positive sideeffects on people too, let´s hope they use it. Well, i can hope, right ?

yeah i like yr post, and to a lesser extent can relate to it.

'farang come too much no like'

'no farang me no business'

i'm sure there's a happy medium in there...... somewhere.....#

hopefully the fat wallets will be welcomed back soon, and appreciated...????

hopefully anyway.

looking forward to my next visit whether 'they' want me or not, and i'm gonna enjoy it big time.

sorry 'bout that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

Sad for everyone involved - all over Thailand. Nothing to laugh about here.

The things are going from bad to worse...I've heard some rumours that Ark bar is closing permanently. If true it doesn't sound good, it was one of the prominent places in Chaweng.

On 7/26/2020 at 12:06 AM, dallen52 said:

Ok..

I take a test for covid19 and do the fit to fly..

Have a test on arrival in the brand spanking new test facility. 

Pay the 3000 baht willingly. 

That's two negative tests in 5 days.

Allow me to get back to the family home and stay with the family. 

No overpriced ASQ  .

No 14 days isolation. 

I've just tested negative twice..

Oh, and throw in the insurance coverage...

That's 10s of thousands of people. 

And no risk...

Agreed, that could apply to all the Non O yearly extension holders as well......

On 7/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, Aussie Col said:

Taxi drivers all over Thailand will be missing the Farang tourists

Yes in the worst way, texting taxi friend of mine from bkk frequently ( with a new taxi ) only has Thai customers now....... quite unhappy to say the least.