are 6-month and 8-month ED-visa language programs legit?

I study Thai. I’ve had a 1 year ED visa previously.

I’m reasonably intelligent and I’d say that 6 months going to class won’t teach you much at all, even if you go 4 or 5 times a week.
Thai while having less words than English is complex in its tonal application and the grammar is markedly different and counter-intuitive, and at times seems to have breaks in its logical use. Very different to English. Something my teacher tells me take a long time to grasp practically let alone master.

I doubt anyone except a language savant would be able to uptake much other than the simplest understanding of the language in 6 or 8 months..

it on average takes maybe 2 years of weekly classes and daily additional self study to gain a decent daily usage comprehension and dialogue fluency.

• 1 month later...
On 7/28/2020 at 2:02 PM, Tropposurfer said:

I study Thai. I’ve had a 1 year ED visa previously.

I’m reasonably intelligent and I’d say that 6 months going to class won’t teach you much at all, even if you go 4 or 5 times a week.
Thai while having less words than English is complex in its tonal application and the grammar is markedly different and counter-intuitive, and at times seems to have breaks in its logical use. Very different to English. Something my teacher tells me take a long time to grasp practically let alone master.

I doubt anyone except a language savant would be able to uptake much other than the simplest understanding of the language in 6 or 8 months..

it on average takes maybe 2 years of weekly classes and daily additional self study to gain a decent daily usage comprehension and dialogue fluency.

2 years? I've some classmates who have been in Thailand for more than 7 years and keep on repeating the classes and can only do very simple Thai.

On 7/25/2020 at 1:52 PM, BananaBandit said:

Are 6-month and 8-month language programs also okay for getting ED visas?

Apparently yes. Based on the school websites I've seen, for 6m tuition they can get you an ED visa valid for 3m, and help you renew it for a 6m stay; for 12m they'll help you renew a further 2 times. I don't recall seeing any period in between, but you could get 8 or 9 months based on a year.

Of course this is all assuming basically pre-Covid info...

3 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

they been getting ED visas for 7 years?  sounds good to me, man... how they swing that?

No, they are on retirement visas and have been living in Thailand for more than 7 years, taking Thai courses on and off.

• Thanks 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:25 PM, EricTh said:

2 years? I've some classmates who have been in Thailand for more than 7 years and keep on repeating the classes and can only do very simple Thai.

Old men can't be a reference when it comes to language learning lol. Although some do very well.

I also disagree that a 6 months class is not long enough to be beneficial. Of course it's not enough, it's not meant to make you fluent, it's a step in the process.

• 5 months later...

I am considering studying Thai in Bangkok in order to have a visa and learn the language.  It is my 6th language, so I'm not too concerned about how quickly I will learn.  Some questions for anyone with experience?

1. What school would you recommend/not recommend?

2. Anywhere that I can compare price and schedules?  I would prefer 4 days per week if available.  Most of the school websites are a bit confusing on this point.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!