BANGKOK
Teak

Question...money

I know this woman in Nong Khai,  who is now forced back to her home in Lao. Not my type, not interested , however we have mutual friends. She has 3 kids and asked if I could send her 500 baht. It turns out I have two 500 baht notes in Canada that I don't expect to spend soon. By conventional means it will cost me almost more to send 1,000 baht then 1,000 baht. 

This woman is not important to me, but she does have 3 kids and she is not asking for Baht 20,000....but B.500. Any suggestions ? Mail, of course....losing it , of course. Registered mail ? Does that work in Lao ?  I have probably answered my own question....send by post and hope for the best....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

But really? You can´t just send her money through the bank? If it hurts you so much that you have two 500 baht bills in home, just change them in the bank at the same time. Really simple, right?

• Like 1

Really....take two 500 baht notes to a Western bank ? 

1 minute ago, Teak said:

Really....take two 500 baht notes to a Western bank ? 

Yeah they will convert them to local currency..... thats what banks do.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Oh my Sunday morning and the 500 Baht dilemma.

Mail the two 500S plus one 100 Canadian $ note.  

You must still be a good man 🙂   I barely know her, but I can be sympathetic. (at times). I have met her children.  We all know people in this situation, but 1,000 baht that I can't spend. I am good for that. A hundred Canuck bucks on beer.....that is more difficult to spare. 😉

The point was ....does registered mail offer a better chance of getting through to Lao?

Hi, you can try posting the two banknotes and they'll probably get there if you send by registered mail. She can exchange the Thai baht at an exchange but she won't get a very good rate. I went to Vientiane once to get a visa, there are many exchange places there, but I don't know about the rest of the country. They definitely have Western Union, so if you don't want to risk posting the bank notes, you could try that. 

Moneygram should work.

Just send her $500 Canadian via bank transfer and stop there. You got it. You can do it. You're wasting your time with those two bills.

Do it and get it over with. Stop there. No more. You tried.

• Haha 1

Fold the notes up between piece tin foil*,and post

it off to her,you will have done your good deed,and i

hope she and the kids will get it.* i believe letter's are

xrayed here,that way metallic strip won,t show up.

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

Why don't you hop on a plane so you can hand the money to her personally? That would be much more satisfying all round. You could then take the return flight home.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1