Question...money

Teak

I know this woman in Nong Khai,  who is now forced back to her home in Lao. Not my type, not interested , however we have mutual friends. She has 3 kids and asked if I could send her 500 baht. It turns out I have two 500 baht notes in Canada that I don't expect to spend soon. By conventional means it will cost me almost more to send 1,000 baht then 1,000 baht. 

This woman is not important to me, but she does have 3 kids and she is not asking for Baht 20,000....but B.500. Any suggestions ? Mail, of course....losing it , of course. Registered mail ? Does that work in Lao ?  I have probably answered my own question....send by post and hope for the best....

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Oh my Sunday morning and the 500 Baht dilemma.

Mail the two 500S plus one 100 Canadian $ note.  

You must still be a good man ????   I barely know her, but I can be sympathetic. (at times). I have met her children.  We all know people in this situation, but 1,000 baht that I can't spend. I am good for that. A hundred Canuck bucks on beer.....that is more difficult to spare. ????

The point was ....does registered mail offer a better chance of getting through to Lao?

Hi, you can try posting the two banknotes and they'll probably get there if you send by registered mail. She can exchange the Thai baht at an exchange but she won't get a very good rate. I went to Vientiane once to get a visa, there are many exchange places there, but I don't know about the rest of the country. They definitely have Western Union, so if you don't want to risk posting the bank notes, you could try that. 

Fold the notes up between piece tin foil*,and post

it off to her,you will have done your good deed,and i

hope she and the kids will get it.* i believe letter's are

xrayed here,that way metallic strip won,t show up.

regards worgeordie

• Haha 1

Western union would take your 1,000 baht and send it to Lao, less maybe 100 baht. No need for a bank account, friend can show ID and pick up at any western Union.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah they will convert them to local currency..... thats what banks do.

Not for Thai Baht at most banks in North America.  They handle major currencies of which Thai Baht is not one.

Edited by Dante99

1 hour ago, Teak said:

Remember....she has no bank account.  Reading is rather important prior to replying.

Western Union, all she needs is ID to collect it.

Use the 500bht note to light a cigar.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dante99 said:

Not for Thai Baht in for most banks in North America.  They handle major currencies of which Thai Baht is not one.

Toilet paper it is then !!

Where in North America is Canada ?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

There are local people here who are having a very very hard time, if you want to help then western union her $100 canadian dollars or even $50, you will feel good and you will have helped her and the kids. Also send a message saying this is a one off if you wish. Do what you know with in yourself is right for you.

2 hours ago, Teak said:

Really....take two 500 baht notes to a Western bank ? 

Are you looking at making a fool out of yourself as a merit? Yes, in a bank you can actually exchange money. It might come as a surprise for you, but I promise you it´s true.

2 hours ago, Teak said:

Remember....she has no bank account.  Reading is rather important prior to replying.

Remember what? Did you write that somewhere? Maybe you did, but you just forgot to include it in your post. However, that was not readable here. If that is true, which I seriously doubt. A mother of three with no bank account. That must mean that she is 5h1tting money and not need your help. I say that because if that would be true, she would have refused 600 baht from the government for every child up until they got 5 years old. To get that you need to have a bank account, and I don´t think she missed that.

As I said if it´s true, I am pretty sure she have a friend or a family member with a bank account. After that we have the story about a woman in Thailand or Laos asking you to send 500 baht from your home country. Really? Are you having a very boring Sunday? 

Just solve the problem. Me and many posters already told you what you can do.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Not for Thai Baht at most banks in North America.  They handle major currencies of which Thai Baht is not one.

And currency exchange offices does not exist? Are you talking about a place outside our galaxy, that only be coincidence happens to have the same name?

1 minute ago, ChakaKhan said:

Seems odd she would just ask for 500...curious if she asks again and raises the stakes....or maybe not....

Yep, that´s the follow up next sunday. Then maybe you see a new thread here that reads: I am not interested but a person asked me to invest 5 million baht in a pyramid scheme. I happen to have 10 million baht just resting in my lap, and I wonder how I can send that to a person without a bank account? Is EMS my best option?

• Thanks 1

Just put between sheet or two of paper and mail regular mail (from USA to Thailand $1.20).  Chances are she will get it in a few weeks and if not you have not lost much.  Believe most people use a birthday type card for such mailings as not likely to draw attention.

26 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
  1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

27 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And currency exchange offices does not exist? Are you talking about a place outside our galaxy, that only be coincidence happens to have the same name?

Your ignorance is surpassed only by your rudeness.

Consider using Western Union, or, air-mail. Research where a currency exchange is that handles Thai baht within comfortable distance from where you are (international airport ?).

I applaud your compassionate wish to help this woman out, even though the "back story" doesn't quite ring my plausibility bell.

~o:37;