Good explanation of New extension to Amnesty

On 7/26/2020 at 8:11 PM, Tanoshi said:

26th September is a Saturday, so the last day you could apply for the 30 day extension would be Friday 25th.

25th counts as day 1 of the extension, therefore your 30 days will expire on 24th Oct.

You must be 50 to apply for the Non O and have at least 15 days of permission of stay left from the 30 day extension.

Unfortunately your 3 days short, unless your Immigration office cut you some slack on the basis you would be 50 by the time they approve and issue your Non O.

Would point out Immigration say all extensions will start on the 27th Sept no matter when you apply.

So a 30 day extension would end on 27th October.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, Max69xl said:

Name one country in the world where it's possible to extend a permission to stay 1 year online?

You can certainly do it in Cambodia, through an agent (no extra charge), no need to go to Immigration or ever see them.

And in the Philippines, just leave your passport with your agent is the normal process.

I got lost in too many info...

For those on visa exemption, not having used the 30 days extension :

Possible to get 30 extra days to go to 25 october ? Normally i mean without ambassy letter etc. ?

Or (as i understand), NOT (anymore) possible ?

10 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Possible to get 30 extra days to go to 25 october ? Normally i mean without ambassy letter etc. ?

Or (as i understand), NOT (anymore) possible ?

It can still be used. What is in the infographic is only for those that cannot qualify for any other extension.

3 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Possible to get 30 extra days to go to 25 october ?

Under existing Police Orders you are entitled to extend once for 30 days.

However due to the unusual circumstances, Immigration may well refuse, referring to their Infographic.

8 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Normally i mean without ambassy letter etc. ?

Following the Infographic from Immigration, I believe they will only issue a 30 day extension beyond 26th September for the reasons stated, medical grounds, or unable to travel and an Embassy letter will be a requirement.

I would recommend you enquire at your local IO now as to your position allowing you time to make departure plans if they refuse and you have to depart by Sept 26th.

15 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Following the Infographic from Immigration, I believe they will only issue a 30 day extension beyond 26th September for the reasons stated, medical grounds, or unable to travel and an Embassy letter will be a requirement.

I have seen part of a immigration notification that only states that a extension must be applied for if you cannot leave the country.

The infographic is not official the extensions mentioned are only if a person does not qualify for any extension,

Thanks.

Not clearly stated in infographic indeed for this particular case.

I was understanding this option had gone, considering the "amnesty" like already kind of extensions... But it looks tricky indeed.

Will ask local immigration but i know they are "random" ????

Will wait end of this month to see if others have done it.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have seen part of a immigration notification that only states that a extension must be applied for if you cannot leave the country.

The infographic is not official the extensions mentioned are only if a person does not qualify for any extension,

I'm in complete agreement with your sentiments, however we already have two reports of Immigration taking a different view and it's early days yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'm in complete agreement with your sentiments, however we already have two reports of Immigration taking a different view and it's early days yet.

Some offices just don't follow the rules.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

Totally agree.

I was very apprehensive when I first read that Infographic and had a premonition that certain IO's would apply that to all but regular annual extension renewals, instead of existing orders.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Sad but true. On the other hand, have you seen any reports of anyone getting that "regular" extension since the "grace period" kicked in on August 1st? If so, from where? I'm tempted to give it a shot at Chaeng Watthana.

11 hours ago, Caldera said:

Sad but true. On the other hand, have you seen any reports of anyone getting that "regular" extension since the "grace period" kicked in on August 1st? If so, from where? I'm tempted to give it a shot at Chaeng Watthana.

Attached the link to a post by @edwinchester reporting about his enquiry at Kanchanaburi IO.

The IO confirmed that he could apply straight away for the 1-year extension of stay based on his ME Non Imm O marriage Visa with expired permission to stay.

Applicant hadn't used his 60-day extension of stay yet and it would NOT have been necessary, but then Immigration realized that he wouldn't have the time left to get the 400K seasoned for the required two months, so then he applied for the  60-day extension of stay.

Note: It's strange that they did not advise him to do two monthly-income transfers of +40K in months of August and September, and then apply for the 1-year extension of stay in the last week of the Amnesty. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2020 at 8:29 AM, Peter Denis said:

He mentioned the artificial border-hop as a possible option to solve the problem of ME Non Imm O Visa holders whose 90-day permission to stay obviously already expired.

So I reacted to a poster that took that suggestion as 'in the pipeline'.  I don't see that happening (but that's speculation from my side)

I rather think Immigration sees it as an opportunity to force these ME Non Imm O Visa holders to apply for a 1-year extension of stay based on their Non Imm O Visa.

Once again speculation from my side as thai Immigration works in mysterious ways (and communicates about it in even more fluid multi-interpretable ways).

Hi Peter. I know you said speculation but is it up to immigration? I had the impression from immigration's statements in the press before these measures were announced that they want all the short stayers out but Cabinet decided otherwise and gave another 60 days. 

On 7/30/2020 at 12:50 PM, RaduAlex said:

I was told that in order to open a bank account ON AMNESTY, that is to say - no valid visa, as I wrote - , you need a confirmation from immigration that the account is for an application process. That's my province, though - I can only report what I am told at the place where I live.

I opened at Krungsri Pattaya central last month with a non O me visa in my passport. Bangkok Bank and the Green one next door both refused me for different reasons.

On 7/29/2020 at 2:00 PM, Max69xl said:

"My extension coming up in October could (if they really wanted to) be performed from the comfort of my house here in Thailand...the foot traffic is entirely unnecessary!"

Name one country in the world where it's possible to extend a permission to stay 1 year online? One of the reasons for the required visit to the immigration office is that they want to see the actual person. That requirement is quite logical. 

Australia. Throughout the Pandemic extensions have been done by email. These days Australian airports dont even stamp passports or issue visas in passports. Everything online.

25 minutes ago, Wongkitlo said:

Hi Peter. I know you said speculation but is it up to immigration? I had the impression from immigration's statements in the press before these measures were announced that they want all the short stayers out but Cabinet decided otherwise and gave another 60 days. 

At the end of the day it is the Cabinet that decides, and the Cabinet consults both Immigration and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs when taking such decision.

But it is Immigration that enforces the decision and 'translates' it into procedures to be followed by the local immigration offices.

In their enforcement role Immigration has of course the opportunity to somewhat push their own agenda (if not blatantly against Cabinet decision).

And on top of that you have of course the 'lost in translation' effect with unclear communication, resulting in a situation that every local IO makes up its own procedures according to how they interpret the Orders from Above.

In short > a terrible mess!

• Like 1