Trees for narrow space next to driveway

Just had a new wall and driveway done. In the process sadly had to cut down 2 large trees as they were in the way.

There is now a border about 2 ft wide running between the wall and driveway. I miss the greenery and privacy the trees gave and want to plant more. The problem is I don't want anything that is going to get a wide tree trunk and damage the new building work or roots damage the driveway. 

Any recommendations for trees with narrow trunks or shrubs that will grow quite tall like a tree? 

I just rule out Bamboo because of the amount of mess it makes dropping leaves. Also banana plants as the look scruffy and leaves will get in the way hanging over the drive.

So look forward to some suggestions. Thanks.

I like pomegranate trees, not a huge root system, don't get a big trunk, can be trimmed like a hedge and have really pretty rose like orange flowers.  The fruit can be eaten, or the juice used to drink also very good for using as a meat tenderiser.

Looking out our back door we have a row Noi-Nar's , Custard  Apple trees been there a few years now ,trunks are only 4-6 wide, a single trunk, one or two have double trunks ,but they could be trimmed off when young, wife says, they have tap roots, and some roots that do not spread far.

They are now 20 -25 foot tall ,and regularly produce fruit, which we can/do eat if the birds do not get they first.

Wife brought some young plants from our weekly market last moth 30 baht each .  

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

Looking out our back door we have a row Noi-Nar's , Custard  Apple trees been there a few years now ,trunks are only 4-6 wide, a single trunk, one or two have double trunks ,but they could be trimmed off when young, wife says, they have tap roots, and some roots that do not spread far.

They are now 20 -25 foot tall ,and regularly produce fruit, which we can/do eat if the birds do not get they first.

Wife brought some young plants from our weekly market last moth 30 baht each .  

Wow...thanks so much for that info....I LOVE custard apples, and never considered planting them...no idea what the tree was like. 

So I definitely will plant one of those....

So now I have decided on a custard apple tree and a pomegranate tree so far......

Any more suggestions welcome. 

If you want to try something different....espaliered citrus trees of whatever variety you fancy. Stick some posts in, string wires between them and train the branches along the wires.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:39 AM, jak2002003 said:

Wow...thanks so much for that info....I LOVE custard apples, and never considered planting them...no idea what the tree was like. 

So I definitely will plant one of those....

So now I have decided on a custard apple tree and a pomegranate tree so far......

Any more suggestions welcome. 

Guava? 

ฝรั่งF̄rạ̀ng

2' width planting bed does not allow for much of a root system for long term growth. But these smaller trees may do well for awhile, on maybe a 5 to 7 year plan. 

Psidium-guajava.jpg

guava fruit.jpg

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, drtreelove said:

Guava? 

ฝรั่งF̄rạ̀ng

2' width planting bed does not allow for much of a root system for long term growth. But these smaller trees may do well for awhile, on maybe a 5 to 7 year plan. 

Psidium-guajava.jpg

guava fruit.jpg

Another good idea. We are off to the plant market today..so I will add that to the list.

The soil is really good and deep. No red clay stuff..and roots can spread out under wall to field on other side.