Thai motor cycle licence

sexyman

I'm living in Pattaya and would like to have a motor bike licence again. I had one about 10 years ago and it expired and i never bothered to renew it, from memeory it took up the whole day and is quite far away from where i'm living here near the beach. I was wondering if there is any way to expedite the matter, are there agents who can do this for a fee, or i do have to go out there myself and do the test. Also, if i don't have a bike, do they supply a bike for the test or should i go there with someone and use his bike for the test?

i used an agent, but he drove to some dlt half way to bkk,

it costed 18k and took the entire day because of the trip,

it was faster once finally we arrived though.

if i had known it was that far away and was going to take just as long,

i would have saved myself the money and went to dlt pattaya myself.

you can not ever stay home because they need a on place photo and do the eye & reaction test.

its easy to hire a bike from someone, i think the dlt has bikes for rent too,

i payed someone a few hundred to borrow a car to do the car test many years ago

right next to the test track.

the fact is it is not much of a deal to not have a license,

i would probably take my chances and drive to dlt without license,

if i knew i was going to have it on the trip back,

the pain for me is the eternal time no matter how much i pay,

and there is no way around it unfortunately

Edited by scammed

Thanks for the info, i think 18,000 is a bit pricey for an agent, might just have go out there to the one in Pattaya and have a shot at it, hopefully it won't be too crowded these days and i can get it done in one day!!

It always amazes me how lazy people are. 18k THB and a whole day trip hahaha, I guess well deserved ????

Guys you are in a one of the cheapest and easiest countries to get a driving license... it costs a few hundred baht and the tests are very simple. Spending a few hours at the DLT? Oh noes.

As to the question about loaner bike: here in Phuket you can rent one from the DLT for the test. I think it cost 100 baht or some such.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eisfeld said:

It always amazes me how lazy people are. 18k THB and a whole day trip hahaha, I guess well deserved ????

Guys you are in a one of the cheapest and easiest countries to get a driving license... it costs a few hundred baht and the tests are very simple. Spending a few hours at the DLT? Oh noes.

As to the question about loaner bike: here in Phuket you can rent one from the DLT for the test. I think it cost 100 baht or some such.

it has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with pain,

i get anxiety of the sheer thought of leaving bed for more then an hour.

chances are your injuries will catch up with you,

and then you too, will fully understand that at the end of the day,

the only thing that really count in life is pain

Edited by scammed
  • Haha 1

Mityon Driving school for both MC and car, leaving Pattaya on the left, call the school for directions. I got my MC license there. Don't ask more questions, call and go from there. Anyone who says the written test is easy is messing with you. They do the written and driving test on site.

https://www.mityon.co.th/category/driving-school/

1 hour ago, scammed said:

it has nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with pain,

i get anxiety of the sheer thought of leaving bed for more then an hour.

chances are your injuries will catch up with you,

and then you too, will fully understand that at the end of the day,

the only thing that really count in life is pain

Sorry to hear you seem to be in such a bad condition. I've had a back injury which was excruciatingly painfull. I couldn't move even a centimeter on the bed. No turning around. But getting a drivers license was the last thing I thought about during those times.

32 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Anyone who says the written test is easy is messing with you

I don't know if they use the same written test (multiple choice) as at the official DLTs, I would assume so. If so, then if people can without any practice/learning score nearly full points it must indeed be easy. Especially for foreigners who already have a license from their home country. Plus there's online material to learn exactly what they ask: http://thaidriving.info/

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Sorry to hear you seem to be in such a bad condition. I've had a back injury which was excruciatingly painfull. I couldn't move even a centimeter on the bed. No turning around. But getting a drivers license was the last thing I thought about during those times.

i cant walk far, so im desperately dependent on having a valid license,

now i have to renew it and i dont know how i can stand waiting in dlt the entire day.

to top it off its not just the pain that day, but the pain will tear through my body for months after the incident, and every time i go over the limit, its an irreversible

permanent downgrade

Edited by scammed

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I don't know if they use the same written test (multiple choice) as at the official DLTs, I would assume so. If so, then if people can without any practice/learning score nearly full points it must indeed be easy. Especially for foreigners who already have a license from their home country. Plus there's online material to learn exactly what they ask: http://thaidriving.info/

I'll bet anyone who takes the test first time ever will fail, If your car is repainted how many days do you have to report it? Penalty for not having a license, penalty for having an expired license, road signs, and the list goes on.

Going to the school you take multiple practice tests till you can ace them. The school is on the left leaving Pattaya towards Sattahip, not far from Cartoon water slides. They have a full driving course at the school.

If you only want mc license then you need to book it on Internet. But if you want both car then mc then you first go convert your car to a Thai car license and at same time tell them you also want mc. Then you will get time 2 days after your car license is done, so no need for any Internet booking. The tests for the licenses you can find on YouTube in English language. Total cost for both licenses is under 600bht and in total of 2 days

I just done my motorbike and car in krabi province,,my previous licenses had expired by three years so they made me start again ,I had already done the online training at home 5 hours of videos and multi choice test........they ignored all that and said you have video to watch all day then two test 50 multiple choice questions each test......scored 46/50 and 45/50.....had to return the next morning to do practical test next day.

they have bike there if you want 40 bht.....passed the bike test actual failed the car test????????????????????,can just go back next week and do practical car test again takes 5 mins????

Glad I got my lifetime motorbike license 40+ years ago, though it doesn't do me any good here in the U.S.  I think it was $5.  I don't remember taking any tests or anything.  A Thai government co-worker took me and filled in the paperwork.  Good Old Boy network. 

I never did any tests either, some international driving permits are accepted in Thailand from certain countries, not fron others..., gave them mine, did the reaction tests and that was it, took my photos and handed me both car and bike 2 year licenses,  it was so quick...!!! 

Same again last year to get 5 year one. They didn't accept my friend's German one, he had to do all the tests...

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Interesting, they accepted my german car license.

Did you have an international permit based on that and showed the permit...!? 

That's what he did, but they said he had to do all the tests, car and bike, this was 2.5 years ago in Phuket ...

It was strange but this is LOS, you just smile and nod and go with the flow,  no point arguing, it never works...! 

He failed the reverse car parking maneuver 3 times I think until he got it, I still tease him over it ????, but I bet I would fail too, for years we now only ride bikes ....

Edited by Agusts

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

Did you have an international permit based on that and showed the permit...!? 

That's what he did, but they said he had to do all the tests, car and bike, this was 2.5 years ago in Phuket ...

No I never had an international permit in my life. I might have had a translation from the german consulate? I can't remember really as it was probably 8-9 years ago that I did it. I didn't have to do any of the tests.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

If you hold a current 5 year Thai car driving licence do you have to resit the test when renewing it?

Not as far as I know, just maybe need to do the reaction test and eye sight...! 

I went from 2 to 5 year, I'm sure others who renewed 5 year will chime in...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanlic said:

If you hold a current 5 year Thai car driving licence do you have to resit the test when renewing it?

I renewed my car 5 yr to a new 5 yr and watched a video, did color and reaction test, took pic and was done. Did mine in Patts

• 1 month later...

Went today to renew 5 year car licence..they showed me a card with multicolored shapes each had a number in the center ....didn't even bother putting my reading glasses on. The lady passed me after pointing at 4 numbers. No other tests but sent me up stairs for a lecture and then 1 hour long video. The lecture was all Thai but they did give me a picture book to study. He put a video on and left the room....girl next to me fell asleep guy next to her was listening to music every one was doing something except watching the video. A farang joined us in the middle of the video.......everyone went downstairs and all got their licences....no test nothing bar an eye test.

Never had a Motorcycle licence before and thought why not..so I went back in the afternoon to apply.....They do not accept copies of proof of residence BUMMER so if you went through your embassy there's another 50 quid to add to your cost......Immigration charged me 1000 baht so now  have to go through the whole thing again. You don't need a medical certificate to renew your car licence but you do need one for a motor cycle licence.

A guy came over and said he was police and tried to explain to me about something called DLT smart Que but it seems to only work for Thais....Another assistant gave me a paper witha date....Xmas Day LOLOLOL I think that's the date I have to apply before god only knows.......Then he spoke with the policeman and gave me a phone number....said call and do test and training then go immigration once you have passed..then bring new letter and they will issue licence.........To be fair they could not have tried any harder to help  me

One can get a motorbike license for a few hundred baht in 6h the normal way...

First I thought this would be one of those agents where you just pay and they remove all/most of the requirements but:

WHAT YOU NEED

1. You must have a valid license from your home country or an international license for the Thai license. For example, you must have a motorbike license from your home country in order to get a Thai motorbike license. Meanwhile, if for example you have a motorbike license only from your home country, you will not be able to obtain a Thai car license.

2. You must have either:
a) A valid work permit, with address inside the booklet
b) A letter of residency that can be obtained at your embassy or Thai Immigration with a condo or housing contract

3. If your home country’s license is not in English language, you must have your driver’s license officially translated from a legal office and stamped by your embassy. Please contact the Fatboy’s Thai License Services Facebook page if you would like a legal office recommendation.

4. If you do not have a license from your home country, then we will not be able to assist you to obtain a Thai motorbike or car license.

That's ridicolous. If you fulfill those requirements then all you have to do is walk into the DLT and let them make you a Thai license.

1900 THB for someone to walk you to the DLT and navigate a bit for you?

2 hours ago, noserious said:

Has anyone ever tried Fatboy's Motorbikes in Bangkok? According to their website a foreigner can get a Thai motorbike license in 3-6 hours for 1900 baht. It sounds a bit too easy.

http://fatboysmotorbikes.com/thai-driving-license-service/

The thing is, it is not listed what you have to do at the DLT. But if you want it easy way, why not.

As @eisfeld said, those requirements you just can walk into the DLT and do the physical test/watch video by yourself.

I did it by myself last year and it was quite easy (within 3-4 hrs). But I needed a translation of my homecountry license + embassy stamp which both also came up to almost 1,500thb.