What crops should i grow in Khon Kaen Region for best return

Can't see this date farming gaining any traction in Thailand.

The local market is too small, Thais are not used to eating dates.

Also you can't compete with middle east countries both for import or export.

Just another bubble as strawberries, hydroponics, avocados etc. where the simple farmers with little or no knowledge think they can make quick money....

Regarding avocados, most of the Thai produce is inferior due to missing knowledge and for the same price I can buy imported fruits where I know they taste good and are ripe.

• Sad 1

We digg decent big and deep hole, filled it with gravel, sand, rice husk, And mix dirt and rice husk. 250 baht for each plant which I find expensive, but we order anyway and try 4 plants to start with.  

Any one else who have experience with the dirt in Isan? How much water, dry season watering, wet season any problems? 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, CLW said:

Can't see this date farming gaining any traction in Thailand.

The local market is too small, Thais are not used to eating dates.

Also you can't compete with middle east countries both for import or export.

Just another bubble as strawberries, hydroponics, avocados etc. where the simple farmers with little or no knowledge think they can make quick money....

Regarding avocados, most of the Thai produce is inferior due to missing knowledge and for the same price I can buy imported fruits where I know they taste good and are ripe.

My mother in "law" eat alot of dades, and some other of her family, so around here it is poplular. 400,- a kg. 

Anyway, nothing we do on our land is to make any money, is more for us to be sustainable with our own procucts, and also sell some when we have excess. So far we are sold out before we know how much we have of each product. Some few houndreds a baht a day to family savings account. I call it a hobby, and it keeps the family happy and busy. 

FBD42E9B-AC14-4C92-BDC1-6B0DB556A934.jpeg

DD99A32D-D28B-43BF-974A-4F6D74104906.jpeg

7BCC314A-2820-4BC7-A5B0-C3E6753E24BB.jpeg

CFCCBED9-74FA-49DF-A69C-2DC426F9B7EA.jpeg

A5F23A53-3DC3-4AA6-925C-B93284FAE4EA.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, andygrr said:

How can anyone here be expected to answer this. We do not know the lay of the land the availability of water etc. You want an answer ask a local who knows about the land in that area.

First of all, it is a question to those who have experience with dades, and what they gained of knownledge. I do very well they can not answer for our land or our soil, but general experience. Nobody plant dades around here as far we know. 

I just do not understand your reply? Seems a bit harsh, unecessery and not helpfull at all. If it was so easy, why bother go here to try to ask questions and also read others experiences to learn and as well help each other. 

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 2

saffron .... As a niche, “shoulder-season” crop that can be grown after the fall harvest, and with a high resale value—saffron fetches as much as $29,000 per kilogram (roughly $13,000 per pound)—it could be a boon for small farmers looking for another source of revenue.

59 minutes ago, Tagged said:

First of all, it is a question to those who have experience with dades, and what they gained of knownledge. I do very well they can not answer for our land or our soil, but general experience. Nobody plant dades around here as far we know. 

I just do not understand your reply? Seems a bit harsh, unecessery and not helpfull at all. If it was so easy, why bother go here to try to ask questions and also read others experiences to learn and as well help each other. 

Grown locally and being sold in Tops Surin.

image.png.ed09a9faff0c4f2e6c95033637c29eed.png

• Like 1