BANGKOK
sidjameson

How good is Lumpini park air quality?

Anybody have some good data?

I love jogging there, but I know how bad exercise is if the air is bad.

I'd like to think Lumpini has its own micro climate, but I fear I'm wishful thinking.

http://aqicn.org/city/bangkok/

says air quality is 53 (moderate) near Lumpini now. Which is about as good as it gets in Bkk. I doubt Lumpini is insulated from pollution from the major streets running by it. But 53 is pretty darned good. If you can wait till late night/early morning it's even better.

Use the Airvisual app.

Best up to date true value of air quality.

Posted (edited)

IMO. there isn't a "micro climate" in Lumpini park because it is small in size and  has a sparse amount of trees. All that it can offer is  "distance" from direct  vehicle  exhaust.  The reality is that  wherever you are in Bangkok, you will be subject to heavy particulate matter. You can reduce your exposure by avoiding the times of day when it is at the highest (commuting times) and by avoiding  zones where it is most concentrated (busy intersections).

Have you considered Sky Running 4th floor - Rachaprasatabhakdi Building / Building B, Government Center Chaengwattana?

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

I would think that Lumphini area has some of the best air in Bangkok. When you consider the adjoining Chulalornkorn hospital, the Chulalongkorn University, the Royal Bangkok Sports Club , the National Stadium etc all on one side and then the Australian embassy, Alliance Francaise, Polo club, Tobacco Monopoly (with new park grounds) and Benjakitti Park etc all on the other side. This means that a huge area around Lumphini is relatively undeveloped in terms of urban living with limited road traffic. That's my take on it.

• Like 1

If you do the standard loop that the vast majority of Lumpinee joggers do, then most of the time you will be close to some of the busiest roads Bangkok has to offer, and therefore close to the source of the pollution (still, of course a lot better than running on the sidewalks outside of the park). I alternate the standard round with crisscrossing the center of the park, away from the traffic, especially that 'inner island' in the middle of the park, where most likely the pollution is only a fraction of what it is on the fringes. If you do longer jogs, there is also that elevated walk/bike way that connects Lumpini with Benjakitti park, most of it is away from heavy traffic, although part of it is along a smelly Klong. This way you not only minimize exposure to pollution but you break the monotony of doing the same lap over and over again. 

• Like 2

It doesn't matter.  The health benefits of jogging far outway the air quality myth.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sorry forgot to add that the Trailer is parked at the now closed corner entrance at Rama 4 and Sathon Thai/Whitthayu rd. It is on the inside ring across from where the guard shack is.  You can see it when you cross the small bridge as it sits just off of the right side. and the clock tower is off to the left down the inner road

Edited by ThailandRyan

Posted (edited)

This AQI monitor at Chula Hospital is a good site for monitoring the air around Lumpini Park:

https://aqicn.org/city/thailand/bangkok/chulalongkorn-hospital/

It also uses the U.S./Intl air quality AQI scale, not the Thai one that allows higher levels of pollution before signaling unhealthy levels.

Screenshot_1.jpg.aaa122e68657c9f3639074e655ebac61.jpg

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

For Lumpini I recommend around 4am. After which go home and take a nap before starting your day.

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Lumpini has a trailer parked which shows the AQI PM 2.5 readings.  When I jogged this evening it showed 15, I just finished and  I live about .25km away from the Park and my Pm 2.5 meter reads 5 right now outside.  Of course in the house with the air purifier running its at 1. 

If it's a Thai government or PCD monitor, it's AQI values are going to be distorted/low-balled in accord with the Thai government's own AQI scale, which allows for higher pollution levels before signaling any health problem.

2 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

For Lumpini I recommend around 4am. After which go home and take a nap before starting your day.

Why, I either run at 6:30 am, or at 4:45 pm, the past few months since they opened up Lumpini to run inside  the air quality has been pretty darned good and the sky clear looking.   I have 9 months of photos from every day that I have run in the park, and I run 6 days a week.  Back around November/December the sky was rough and the Pm 2.5 outside was in the 50's at my condo.  Inside with the air filtration system never above 8.  After March things started clearing an looking beautiful and the air quality improved.  That is also because of a reduction in traffic and fewer factories over at the ports belching out there <deleted>.  Add in the fact I have seen fewer black smoke belching buses and cars and I am sure its helped to make it nice now.  Not sure what will happen Post Covid and when the full 10 million people resume living in Bangkok.