How good is Lumpini park air quality?

sidjameson

I used to run a lot at Lumpini back in the 90's and early 00's.  Sometimes while running the outer "normal" path you come close to the busy roads but at least you are a little bit away from the road.  The best time to run is in the morning due to less traffic all night and into the early morning.  I generally ran between 5:30am and 6:30am when there is less heat and pollution.  I've also ran in the late afternoon.  Trying to finish before the National Anthem is played.  I used to run between Lumpini and the Tobacco Monopoly and the Queen Sirikit Centre as well.  Even ran that route well before the Green path was built.

Another good area to run with a lot less traffic, and wider more open spaces, is at the Rama IX park and also at Nong Bon which is right next to the park.  Nong Bon offers more shade but there are also a lot of cyclists (including me) that ride there.  

I couldn't live in Bkk. Just a visit when the pollution is moderate to high will mean a headache, wheezing and generally feeling like <deleted>. So runing in Lumpini is out for me, It seems im vulnerable to pollution and poor air quality.

On the subject of filters or air purifiers I have noticed a lot of talk about HEPA purifiers, which historically have done little for me when the pollution is up. They also seem to have the ink cartridge syndrome with the filters which are always over-priced

A couple of months ago I bought a lightAir Ionflow purifier from Lazada which does not have filters or produce ozone, it has made such a difference i bought a second a couple of weeks later.

My allergies have almost dissapeared, I can finally sleep like I only dreamed of months ago.

I am actually in a semi rural area of Chonburi but the air quality here is still bad enough to hit me on bad days, but indoors no problem now, we have trees everywhere.

I think with me its the really fine particles that my Hepa purifiers couldn't filter, my IonFlow units work to PM0.007 (so they say, although I havent tested). It was quite expensive, about 15k but there are no replacement filters to buy and it runs on 5w, it's also good for up to 50m of floorspace.

As far as my health goes there is no way i'd buy hepa again.

Edited by eljaybe
spelling and grammer corrections
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

I used to run a lot at Lumpini back in the 90's and early 00's.  Sometimes while running the outer "normal" path you come close to the busy roads but at least you are a little bit away from the road.  The best time to run is in the morning due to less traffic all night and into the early morning.  I generally ran between 5:30am and 6:30am when there is less heat and pollution.  I've also ran in the late afternoon.  Trying to finish before the National Anthem is played.  I used to run between Lumpini and the Tobacco Monopoly and the Queen Sirikit Centre as well.  Even ran that route well before the Green path was built.

Another good area to run with a lot less traffic, and wider more open spaces, is at the Rama IX park and also at Nong Bon which is right next to the park.  Nong Bon offers more shade but there are also a lot of cyclists (including me) that ride there.  

Rama 9 park is great, but it's just too much of a hassle to get to for anyone living 'downtown'. Also for evening joggers it closes too early. Most parks close at 9 pm but Rama 9 does at 7.(unless they changed it, haven't been there in a while.) 

• Like 1

The trailer at lumpini park has now been removed as of yesterday. Unknown where it went. Still I look at my meters and of course the sky before I head out to the park. Today for whatever reason my readings outside at home have been between 8 this morning at 6am to 32 this afternoon at 3 pm. Now atv4 back down to 8. Maybe it was from all of the traffic today after people returned and headed to work. Still pretty fair outside and the sky is clear.

Edited by ThailandRyan

On ‎7‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 12:24 PM, thecyclist said:

Rama 9 park is great, but it's just too much of a hassle to get to for anyone living 'downtown'. Also for evening joggers it closes too early. Most parks close at 9 pm but Rama 9 does at 7.(unless they changed it, haven't been there in a while.) 

You are correct about the hours.  Rama 9 park opens at 5:00am and closes at 7:00pm  Nong Bon opens at 5:00am and closes at 6:30pm.  

• Thanks 1