Flight to UK.

NoshowJones

I am getting a refund from Emirates for my cancelled flight to Scotland, this set me thinking, a few years ago I bought a return flight to the UK with BA. At Heathrow, the plane to Glasgow was more than two hours late and I was given compensation.

I am planning another trip when the borders open up and the quarantine stops. Would it make sense for me to fly with a European airline in case the flight is changed which could be a big possibility, The likes of Emirates is not bound by European rules to compensate me if say a flight is cancelled and moved to the following day or even longer?

I would think that anyone flying to a European country would use a European airline. What are your thoughts on this?

I have use Qatar now many times(coz service on plane and price) have liitle more space in economy class also. Chance Finnair again , im + member so get little from that. lol every 10 flight for free if count points.

And what i know flight to me from Helsinki, is more exbensive than people who come for example Amsterdan etc. Even they chance in Helsinki they pay almost half what Finnish people! Thats crazy but is way it is! In Finland have law that cancel flight money need to get back in 7 days! Ofcourse they no manage that in this situation but thats law enyway. Have use few times Turkish Airways and service and all is fine . And Istambul airport is ok . Now i just want to flight straight.

3 hours ago, eyup said:

Flight has to originate in EU to be eligible for EU compensation rules

Only if you're flying with a non-EU airline.  EU airlines must pay (if eligible) on all flights to or from the EU.

4 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Would it make sense for me to fly with a European airline in case the flight is changed which could be a big possibility, The likes of Emirates is not bound by European rules to compensate me if say a flight is cancelled and moved to the following day or even longer?

You would be covered in both directions if you chose a European airline but only the return flight from the UK if you chose Emirates etc. so that's a distinct advantage.  If any delay/cancellation was attributable to Covid however, no compensation is payable from any airline.

Edited by treetops
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, treetops said:

Only if you're flying with a non-EU airline.  EU airlines must pay (if eligible) on all flights to or from the EU.

You would be covered in both directions if you chose a European airline but only the return flight from the UK if you chose Emirates etc. so that's a distinct advantage.  If any delay/cancellation was attributable to Covid however, no compensation is payable from any airline.

What if I am booked on a certain day and the flight is cancelled because of say not enough passengers, would the airline take responsibility then?

If you have to, need to, want to, must travel ex-BKK and Qatar Airways can get you reasonably close to your final destination, use them. And they have the best Covid-19 policies.

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/travel-alerts/COVID-19-update.html

Buy direct from Qatar: web or CTO (Asoke) or ATO (Suvarnabhumi), don't buy through a travel agent. Use a credit card if possible.

Buy a one-way ticket, obviously.

They've had at least one daily BKK-DOH for the past few weeks. Some days they two or three total flights, for BKK-DOH.

• Thanks 1

Are there any airlines that have a track record of late in reliable flights BKK - LON?

Or is this just Russian roulette, ie you book a flight and then just hope it's not cxl? Maybe booking as close to the dep date as poss, maybe 2 or 3 days, would reduce the risk of the flight being cxl?

Consider Eva Air, but through TPE not BKK. BKK to TPE, transit, then fly one of their direct flights to LHR.  However, beware, they are not scheduled flights as such, but akin to one off charters, so fly as and when.  But If they sell you a ticket TPE to LHR they will fly it.  

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

Consider Eva Air, but through TPE not BKK. BKK to TPE, transit, then fly one of their direct flights to LHR.  However, beware, they are not scheduled flights as such, but akin to one off charters, so fly as and when.  But If they sell you a ticket TPE to LHR they will fly it.  

And how do you get to Taiwan?? How many BKK-TPE are there? Suggesting 2 flights instead of one? Even if you did find a BKK-TPE flight, what if it is cxl (very probable) then you miss your LON flight??

Terrible advice, and from an ex pilot too!

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Are there any airlines that have a track record of late in reliable flights BKK - LON?

Or is this just Russian roulette, ie you book a flight and then just hope it's not cxl? Maybe booking as close to the dep date as poss, maybe 2 or 3 days, would reduce the risk of the flight being cxl?

Look at the ones that are operating regularly.  Follow their operation on flightradar24 or somewhere similar.  Once you know the flight numbers it only takes a few seconds to check each day.  eg the Qatar daily flight to DOH is QR837 and its performance can be seen here, as regular as clockwork.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr837

QR835 last week went on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday but you would have to check that over a week or two to see it it was a definite pattern.  BKK-LON direct would be Eva only so look for BR69 and you'll see it flies once a week on a Sunday via Bangkok.  It flies other days too but not via BKK and may be cargo only on these days.

8 minutes ago, treetops said:

Look at the ones that are operating regularly.  Follow their operation on flightradar24 or somewhere similar.  Once you know the flight numbers it only takes a few seconds to check each day.  eg the Qatar daily flight to DOH is QR837 and its performance can be seen here, as regular as clockwork.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/qr837

QR835 last week went on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday but you would have to check that over a week or two to see it it was a definite pattern.  BKK-LON direct would be Eva only so look for BR69 and you'll see it flies once a week on a Sunday via Bangkok.  It flies other days too but not via BKK and may be cargo only on these days.

Yes, I understand there are means to check recent flight etc, but was just wondering if anyone top of their heads knew a recent reliable airline. 

So Eva on a Sunday looks good then. Ta.

22 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

And how do you get to Taiwan?? How many BKK-TPE are there? Suggesting 2 flights instead of one? Even if you did find a BKK-TPE flight, what if it is cxl (very probable) then you miss your LON flight??

Terrible advice, and from an ex pilot too!