Pattaya: Masks and life jackets! Tourists head to Koh Larn in large numbers

webfact

Pattaya: Masks and life jackets! Tourists head to Koh Larn in large numbers

1pm.jpg

Picture: INN

INN reported that large numbers of Thai and foreign tourists descended on the Pattaya area during the first two days of the four day long holiday weekend.

1pm1.jpg

Today is one of the replacement days for the abandoned Sonkran holiday that was cancelled during the coronavirus lockdown.

Especially popular with the visitors was a trip to the island of Koh Larn off the Pattaya coast. 

เกาะล้าน2.jpg

Police were on hand to make sure that the virus protocols were being followed by the large number of families making the trip from Bali Hai port.

In addition to mask wearing they ensured that people were donning another kind of protection - life-jackets.

On Sukhumvit Road in the south Pattaya area the media reported heavy traffic and tailbacks. 

Source: INN

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-27

1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Domestic tourism will save us all. Sort of like moving the jam from one side of your toast to the other and saying "Wow, this is fantastic" ????

What a suberb analogy moving the jam from one side to another .. best I've read in a while .. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
1 hour ago, phantomfiddler said:

Domestic tourism will save us all. Sort of like moving the jam from one side of your toast to the other and saying "Wow, this is fantastic" ????

What a suberb analogy moving the jam from one side to another .. best I've read in a while .. 

I agree with you absolutely JG on phantomfiddler's post.

However, as we all know it still doesn't matter which side the jam ends up on, due to the weight of the jam on the toast it will still always land jam-down.

I suppose the only way to 'win' is putting jam on both sides, to make it land jam-up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I agree with you absolutely JG on phantomfiddler's post.

However, as we all know it still doesn't matter which side the jam ends up on, due to the weight of the jam on the toast it will still always land jam-down.

I suppose the only way to 'win' is putting jam on both sides, to make it land jam-up.

Heavens preserve us when it comes to that .. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

More promises of 'jam tomorrow'.

Best thing since sliced bread.

Croissants .. I'm posh .. forgot what the bleeding main article was about with all this stuff about jam .. oh yea that pic' above looks like there are some mask jammy dodgers in amongst them .. 

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lol.
I just came back from a trip to a resort in Khao Yai. We arrived on Friday night, not a lot of other guests. However loads of them showed up on Saturday afternoon and the place was packed.
Went for breakfast Sunday morning, maybe 100+ people already there. Saw 1 woman wearing a mask.

One.

Stopped at a temple on the way back. Most people were masked. Stopped at a restaurant in Kabin Buri. No one was masked.
However every 7-11 had someone checking temps at the door and no entry without a mask.

Did you expect that many people wear a mask while they eat breakfast and in that restaurant?

_112358595_p08dlwdh.jpg

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Did you expect that many people wear a mask while they eat breakfast and in that restaurant?

_112358595_p08dlwdh.jpg

Always a troll in the crowd.

Of course not troll. I would have thought the customers would have maybe arrived wearing them, or that the staff might have worn them, or that maybe the customers that were leaving might have put them on.

You know, like one woman did.

9 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Always a troll in the crowd.

Of course not troll. I would have thought the customers would have maybe arrived wearing them, or that the staff might have worn them, or that maybe the customers that were leaving might have put them on.

You know, like one woman did.

Funny enough last week I was in the big immigration building and I told my friend: Look at all those people sitting there without mask. And he reminded me that they are drinking and eating. That came to my mind when I saw your comment.

It seems most people in Thailand wear masks most of the time - except when they drink and eat...

• Confused 1

And normally I see them get in/out of their cars wearing masks and then taking them off at the table, or putting them on as they leave (as in when they may be in close contact with others). Not on this trip though.

It seems that most of the people that arrived at the resort on Saturday afternoon were all from the same company/organization (judging by the identical shirts most of them were wearing). Watching them walk around or gathering in groups for photos, I was expecting at least a few to wear masks and was a bit surprised that none were. The one woman who was wearing a mask chatted with me for a couple minutes while we waited for the toaster to pop (we were talking about how the staff guy nearly electrocuted himself by sticking a set of metal tongs inside the toaster to give the bread a jiggle).
I didn't see it but I'm guessing she probably took it off to eat the toast afterwards. And then probably put it back on as soon as she was finished eating.

I had one in my pocket and some spares on the bike, just in case. We stopped at a number of gas stations, shops and small eateries along the way there and back. In most places, no one was wearing a mask (except in the 7-11s). At the temple the lotto vendors had masks but kept them under their chins. 

I was actually watching people at the resort and the temple to see their reactions, as I was the only foreigner around as far as I could tell. I wrote before about the reaction I saw when I went to Khao Kitchakut in March this year, shortly after Anutin made his "dirty farang" comments and how people would put their masks on and start spraying disinfectant on their hands when I was close by.

This trip however, the only reaction I got was people asking (politely) if they could take a picture next to me and my Harley. And some amused smiles at seeing a foreigner telling the lotto vendors that he wanted a ticket that would win 12 million baht, not 2,000.
Nobody was shying away or trying hastily to put a mask on or spray disinfectant everywhere. (I'd say maybe 3/4s of the people at the temple had masks on already and some of them pulled them under their chins when they were taking pics or talking to the lotto vendors. Nobody seemed to concerned about a foreigner being present.)

Some of our group had families that travelled by car/truck. We visited friends in the countryside and had a house warming party. No one even had a mask. Most of us were from Pattaya but no one was concerned about much of anything except the rain. 

I suspect it's like that in a lot of other places as well once you get outside of the major cities (and away from the 7-11s).

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

On Sukhumvit Road in the south Pattaya area the media reported heavy traffic and tailbacks. 

Any scraps in the parking area between songtaew and taxi drivers like before?

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

It seems most people in Thailand wear masks most of the time - except when they drink and eat...

do you not go outside or anywhere else in Thailand ?
definitely NOT "most people" as you put it

all i see are some families programming their kids to wear muzzles
with the adults not wearing a mask or wearing it under their chin if they are
apart from that mostly
i now constantly see people pulling a scrunched up mask out of their back pocket and putting it on as they walk in 7-11
and then promptly removing it as they leave

Of course in places where a mask is required for entry such as most temples and malls and 7-11 etc
people will be wearing them when

Edited by innosiem
  • Like 1

yes ... just got back from Pattaya where we stayed in the 5* resort near the beach .... yesterday took a drive around town and down the beach Jomtien, Koh Larn ferry and seafood markets where I purchased 8 large lobsters.

I would say that half the total of thai's were wearing masks as similar to farang, however at the market everyone wore a mask and authorities were checking also had sanitizers on entry. 

• Thanks 1

I am out and about in Jomtien and Pattaya and see most people wearing masks, where it matters, indoors and in a crowd. If you want to find someone not wearing a mask, you can, but its usually where they are distanced from others, at the beach, car park etc. I do it myself nowadays, put the mask on to go into a shopping mall, take it off when I get back outside in the car park. If I am not near other on my evening beach walk, I dont wear a mask, as soon as I get anywhere near other people the mask goes back on.

I dont know where people are going to see people not wearing masks, I certainly dont see it.

I was out on Koh Larn a couple of weeks ago and it was really busy with Thais being tourists. I go out there often and have never seen it so busy. 99% wearing masks on the boat, indoors and in a crowd.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, innosiem said:

do you not go outside or anywhere else in Thailand ?
definitely NOT "most people" as you put it

all i see are some families programming their kids to wear muzzles
with the adults not wearing a mask or wearing it under their chin if they are
apart from that mostly
i now constantly see people pulling a scrunched up mask out of their back pocket and putting it on as they walk in 7-11
and then promptly removing it as they leave

Of course in places where a mask is required for entry such as most temples and malls and 7-11 etc
people will be wearing them when

I guess it depends where we live. I go out and I described what I see.

Obviously you or anybody else might see a different situation depending on where you go out and observe the people.

Just now, OneMoreFarang said:

I guess it depends where we live. I go out and I described what I see.

Obviously you or anybody else might see a different situation depending on where you go out and observe the people.

i have been up and down the country past week
seen the same everywhere
as others have mentioned once you move away from major city and away from 7-11
masks are akin to helmets, only being worn by most when required
even on darkside pattaya i see few with masks unless they are going to a shop that requires it for entry

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Lol.
I just came back from a trip to a resort in Khao Yai. We arrived on Friday night, not a lot of other guests. However loads of them showed up on Saturday afternoon and the place was packed.
Went for breakfast Sunday morning, maybe 100+ people already there. Saw 1 woman wearing a mask.

One.

Stopped at a temple on the way back. Most people were masked. Stopped at a restaurant in Kabin Buri. No one was masked.
However every 7-11 had someone checking temps at the door and no entry without a mask.

Hopefully wasnt the 7-11 gal that sprayed sanitizer in customers' eyes!  Oy!!!! Velly Solly Mista..free mama cup!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

Did you find a way to shove your meal through your mask?

Of course they don't wear a mask in a restaurant.

And of course you didn't bother reading any of the other posts that came after that before making your troll post.