Koh Chang: Tourists flood to island and Trat province in "record numbers"

webfact

Koh Chang: Tourists flood to island and Trat province in "record numbers"

630726-01-1280x720.jpg

"Records Smashed!"

Thai media 77kaoded reported that tourists flooded to Koh Chang island in the eatern Thai province of Trat in record numbers at the start of the long four day holiday weekend. 

The number of visitors smashed the total achieved earlier in July for the long holiday that marked the start of Buddhist Lent. 

Kamphon Charoenkhajornkun, vice president of the Trat tourism business association said that on Saturday information from the Thammachart and Centerpoint piers indicated that 10,537 tourists and 2,268 vehicles crossed to Koh Chang.

Leaving the island on that day the figures were 2,078 tourists and 655 vehicles. 

At the start of Buddhist Lent the number of tourists going to Koh Chang was 10,023 so this was an improvement of 514. 

4pm1.jpg

Trat's tourism and sports rep Amphai Sakdanukunjit Salaiwinski said that Trat was a popular destination, had no Covid-19 cases and had benefited from government initiatives to stimulate tourism. 

She said that during the holiday earlier this month 30,000 visitors to the province's islands and mainland spent 261 million baht. 

There are surely expected to be more than 30,000 this long weekend and the 300 million baht barrier will be broken, she said.

The media made no comparison with records from previous years, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-27

3 hours ago, johng said:

There are loads of "tourists"  clogging up Pattaya  over this looooong weekend  mostly descended from "Goong Thep"

P_20200727_124136.thumb.jpg.c08d101186f6601ee8992eeb2a5406ae.jpg

True that, the traffic is terrible, all Krung Thep plates,  ot a tourist bus to be seen. Most seem to be heading for the beach and seafood restaurants. The standard of driving and courtesy is even lower than normal. Big C, Makro, etc actually very quiet!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 11:12 AM, webfact said:

The media made no comparison with records from previous years, notes Thaivisa. 

That exactly is the point, I guess it is busy there on any long weekend.

Not to mention the difference before vs. after covid-19.

Pointless news article.

Was in Sai Yok and recently Ko Kood on this long weekend.

Accommodation was full but owners said during the week NO guests.

Probably no dirty foreigners here on vacation. Well then...

On 7/27/2020 at 3:36 PM, zyphodb said:

It'd be interesting to see if they overcharge the local Thais for everything in the same way that they used to overcharge the foreigners...

Koh Chang is one place in Thailand that is (imo) great value for money, and I don't recall being overcharged over the many times I've vacationed there.

Ko Samet on the other hand..

2 hours ago, huangnon said:

Koh Chang is one place in Thailand that is (imo) great value for money, and I don't recall being overcharged over the many times I've vacationed there.

Ko Samet on the other hand..

Well, just one small example, everything at all 7/11's on the island have a 5-10 baht mark up from the mainland then? 

Edited by zyphodb

On 7/30/2020 at 1:55 PM, zyphodb said:

Well, just one small example, everything at all 7/11's on the island have a 5-10 baht mark up from the mainland then? 

Logistics, I suppose. I go there for a break / holiday, and don't really care about a few Baht here and there, tbh.