Thai policeman shoots drug crazed man dead - family claim overzealous policing

webfact

Thai policeman shoots drug crazed man dead - family claim overzealous policing

5pm.jpg

Channel 7 last night showed the moments when a man sitting down was kicked and shot dead by a policeman.

Just moments before a knife being held by the suspect had been put down and removed by a local at the scene.

The armed policeman then advanced on the suspect, kicked him and a shot rang out. 

The man was dead at the scene. A policeman suffered cuts to his head and arm.

A senior local policeman in Nakhon Phanom has promised justice for the police and the victim. 

The dialog on the video goes thus:

"Hand over the knife"

"Put it down". 

"I'll shoot you in the head"

"Do you want to fight me?" 

It was unclear who exactly said what. 

The elder sister of the dead man said that her brother was extremely high and drunk on alcohol and Ya Ba (methamphetamine mixed with caffeine in tablet form).

He had asked her for 100 baht for more alcohol and after she refused he proceeded to attack people in the house.

The police were called, she said, and they tried to calm the situation before a fight developed in which her brother caused cuts to the head and arm of an officer. 

The policeman responded by shooting at both her brother's legs. Exhausted from his exertions her brother then slumped down. 

She thought the situation was under control and there would be no more fighting. 

Her and her relatives are claiming that the policeman acted overzealously and beyond the limits of his command.

Pol Col Pladech Petchwangoh of the Nakhon Phanom police said that help had been provided to the injured policeman. Regarding claims made by the family of the dead man he said that an investigation will take place that will provide justice to both sides.

Source: Channel 7

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-27

It would have been a fraught situation for everyone involved including deceased and the police officer.

The longer term effect of the shooting on already traumatised family and bystanders will be enormous, and also for the officer involved and his family

• Like 2

It is now known as "American Law Enforcement." Use overwhelming force, no matter if a suspect is mentally ill or unarmed or even if there is no danger to anyone else. If the suspect dies, so what.

I am not proposing this - I am simply putting this forward as the way things appear.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, herwin1234 said:

except that the crazy drug addict had stabbed him several time.

neighbbours had called the police bc this violent drug addict was on a rampage in the street attacking people. attacking and stabbing a responding police is defenitely crossing a line.

This is the kind of police officer you want when there is a dangerous knife wielding lunatic in YOUR street. 

good job jone, deserves a medal.

I have seen a crazy meth head in SR in Cambodia. Not a nice sight, he was smashing up the street. So A crazy meth head thats armed is very dangerous.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Murder that what it was.

Policeman had no reason to shoot him.

hmmm...i think the gun went off just after he kicked the guy..the cop had the knife the guy in blue had taken from the victim who appears to be unarmed when the cop with gun drawn approached him. After kicking him you can see the victim reaching for the gun, just as the clip ends. I dont think murder as there appears to be no intent, more like manslaughter or accidental shooting. The officer should have put the knife down and holstered his pistol before approaching the victim as the victim was obviously non-aggressive and un-armed. Instead of provoking him and finding himself with both hands full, the cop was in no position to manually restrain him..the way i analyzed that scenario.

if you go to the channel 7 link and watch the video, you will see that the situation is over, and the policeman is carrying the knife now with the suspect sitting on the ground. The policeman then gratuitously kicks the person who was already surrendered in the head. When the suspect grabs his leg, he shoots and kills him. Murder.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The police were called, she said, and they tried to calm the situation before a fight developed in which her brother caused cuts to the head and arm of an officer.

Play with fire you get burnt.

He won't be attacking anyone again.