Rayong: Box jellyfish warning after fisherman dies from stings

webfact

Rayong: Box jellyfish warning after fisherman dies from stings

jf.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A warning has been issued to tourists in Rayong on Thailand's eastern seaboard after a fisherman died from an apparent sting from a box jellyfish.

Sophon Thongdee of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources said the man was covered in stings from the tentacles.

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

It was too early at this point to say what variety of jellyfish killed him but scientists and medics at a research institute will be filing a report. 

Sophon said that box jellyfish can be very dangerous causing chest pains and cardiac arrest in some cases. 

Symptoms come on between 5 and 40 minutes after an attack.

Anyone stung by such creatures should flood the wounds with vinegar for at least 30 seconds, have people call an ambulance and seek urgent medical assistance. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-27

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Anyone stung by such creatures should flood the wounds with vinegar for at least 30 seconds, have people call an ambulance and seek urgent medical assistance. 

Relevant advice. I usually swims in these waters long time ago. (Rayong, Chantha and Trat. A small bottle of vinagar in my pocket can help in case of been attacked by those dangers animals.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

I was stung by a jellyfish once off Koh Lanta, on my right shoulder. That hurt like hell for three days, wouldn’t be at all surprised if that had been a box jellyfish. If it was, I think I can count myself very lucky that I’m still alive, though. 

On 7/27/2020 at 6:12 AM, webfact said:

Sophon said that box jellyfish can be very dangerous causing chest pains and cardiac arrest in some cases. 

Symptoms come on between 5 and 40 minutes after an attack.

This shows how vague advice is in Thailand.

All of Thailand's seas are within the range of many of the 50 or so species of box jellies.

Death after stinging can occur with 2 to 5 minutes

You don't wash the wounds as such with vinegar, you wash the tentacles lining to the victim BEFORE removal - this is to nullify the stinging and injection of venom which can continue whilst the tentacles are attached. Removing them without doing this increases the already high chances of death.

Thailand has persistently been reactive rather than proactive to the presence of box jellies it its waters and deaths occur almost every year. They don't fund research and don't follow up advice - it's almost as if these deaths are an acceptable cost for a quiet life for the tourism industry.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2020 at 8:07 AM, rudi49jr said:

I was stung by a jellyfish once off Koh Lanta, on my right shoulder. That hurt like hell for three days, wouldn’t be at all surprised if that had been a box jellyfish. If it was, I think I can count myself very lucky that I’m still alive, though. 

You're alive - if the sting had been anything substantial from a box jellie. 

we also don't hear about the  irukandji jelly which is tiny and potentially even more deadly - this has a more delayed response - which might be the cause for the confused OP's response.