Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Rayong: Box jellyfish warning after fisherman dies from stings

Recommended Posts

Rayong: Box jellyfish warning after fisherman dies from stings

 

jf.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

A warning has been issued to tourists in Rayong on Thailand's eastern seaboard after a fisherman died from an apparent sting from a box jellyfish.

 

Sophon Thongdee of the Department of Marine and Coastal Resources said the man was covered in stings from the tentacles.

 

6pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

 

It was too early at this point to say what variety of jellyfish killed him but scientists and medics at a research institute will be filing a report. 

 

Sophon said that box jellyfish can be very dangerous causing chest pains and cardiac arrest in some cases. 

 

Symptoms come on between 5 and 40 minutes after an attack.

 

Anyone stung by such creatures should flood the wounds with vinegar for at least 30 seconds, have people call an ambulance and seek urgent medical assistance. 

 

Source: Daily News

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-27
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, webfact said:

Anyone stung by such creatures should flood the wounds with vinegar for at least 30 seconds, have people call an ambulance and seek urgent medical assistance. 

Relevant advice. I usually swims in these waters long time ago. (Rayong, Chantha and Trat. A small bottle of vinagar in my pocket can help in case of been attacked by those dangers animals.

Edited by Tarteso
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was stung by a jellyfish once off Koh Lanta, on my right shoulder. That hurt like hell for three days, wouldn’t be at all surprised if that had been a box jellyfish. If it was, I think I can count myself very lucky that I’m still alive, though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thin spandex swimsuits might not be the go to choice of apparel for your average fashion conscious Thai fisherman, but standard issue in western tropical waters.  Must have been a truly terrible final hour.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 6:12 AM, webfact said:

Sophon said that box jellyfish can be very dangerous causing chest pains and cardiac arrest in some cases. 

 

Symptoms come on between 5 and 40 minutes after an attack.

 

Anyone stung by such creatures should flood the wounds with vinegar for at least 30 seconds, have people call an ambulance and seek urgent medical assistance. 

 

This shows how vague advice is in Thailand.

 

All of Thailand's seas are within the range of many of the 50 or so species of box jellies.

 

Death after stinging can occur with 2 to 5 minutes

 

You don't wash the wounds as such with vinegar, you wash the tentacles lining to the victim BEFORE removal - this is to nullify the stinging and injection of venom which can continue whilst the tentacles are attached. Removing them without doing this increases the already high chances of death.

 

Thailand has persistently been reactive rather than proactive to the presence of box jellies it its waters and deaths occur almost every year. They don't fund research and don't follow up advice - it's almost as if these deaths are an acceptable cost for a quiet life for the tourism industry.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 8:07 AM, rudi49jr said:

I was stung by a jellyfish once off Koh Lanta, on my right shoulder. That hurt like hell for three days, wouldn’t be at all surprised if that had been a box jellyfish. If it was, I think I can count myself very lucky that I’m still alive, though. 

You're alive - if the sting had been anything substantial from a box jellie. 

we also don't hear about the  irukandji jelly which is tiny and potentially even more deadly - this has a more delayed response - which might be the cause for the confused OP's response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad I swim in Jomtien, the water's far too dirty for any self-respecting box jellyfish, lol.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Guderian said:

Glad I swim in Jomtien, the water's far too dirty for any self-respecting box jellyfish, lol.

famous last words?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...