Departing and Arriving Phuket Airport Domestic Terminal - July 2020 COVID Measures and General Information.

Psimbo

2 hours ago, Psimbo said:

Arrival at Phuket:

Departure procedures at Swampy very similar- Thermal cam at door, physical check in and form/qr code just before security. I pretended to scan the qr code and they didn't even notice (I don't have the net up on my phone all the time) Down through the airport to the gate- again very quiet and most shops closed. Gelled before the security then down to the gate to wait for the flight, Social distancing went to pot as they crammed us all on the same bus to take us to the plane. Similar procedures on the plane again.

On Arrival-  de-planed again by rows, thermal cam set up then gelled and form/QR code just before baggage claim. On departure another QR code or book signed. 

Again to recap, I got to Swampy early but there were no delays. Internet rumors of people having to have a COVID test were just that- rumors.  A very easy process in all but this was mainly due to the lack of travellers. As/if passenger numbers increas ther could be delays, more so at Swampy with a larger volume of flights.

I'm surprised that there enough flights departing that they need to use the buses. I'd have thought they'd want to avoid this.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrDave said:

I believe AOT charges the airline an additional fee to use the jet bridges. One would think they'd waive that charge in order to avoid crowding people on a bus.

Yep, its an additional cost. Strangely leaving Hkt and arriving Swampy it was air bridges at both ends. Leaving Swampy it was bus that end,  air bridge this end. Thainess. ????

All in all the whole experience was pretty painless. the only place I failed was by not checking whether the buses were running from the airport to Pattaya- should have thought that bit through beforehand.

We know what happens when we assume things. Already booked the next trip with lessons learned.???? 

• 2 months later...

An  update- flew up and back last week. Not much change at the Phuket end, other than more places have opened up in the Domestic Arrivals lounge. Bkk Airways lounge was open and they are now serving light refreshments on the flight. Social distancing in place on the flight up, but not on the way back.

Coming back from Swampy the entry to the departure gates is just a checkpoint IIRC there used to be a scanner there in the past but I may be mistaken, the only security check was at the gate. Bkk Airways lounge there is open as well.

As an aside be wary of booking Bkk Airlines at present. I booked two flights this week, only to have both cancelled within 15 hours. To me they seem to be running a racket courtesy of COVID- book a cheap flight ( I had Swampy return for B1990), then have it cancelled and have to book an alternative  more expensive flight. They know the refund process puts people off but I may be tinfoil hatting this. Their schedules are all over the place at the moment.