pricey

On 7/27/2020 at 9:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Many many of the same things are cheaper in the UK now. 

Easy to cherry pick though I'm in Oz ATM and it's waaay more expensive in every area except deli food and wine 

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Not been in Thailand long then?

Well hows this , she is probably a side line Uni girl earning money whilst studying and they ask from 15 K a month  and when they finally get married , sinsot isnt required .

Sinsot these days and traditionally was for village farm girls  and it isnt required for ex-prostitutes ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

Easy to cherry pick though I'm in Oz ATM and it's waaay more expensive in every area except deli food and wine 

I split my time between UK and Bangkok and I do notice a lot of things in the UK are cheaper, even without accounting for the wage differentials. Taking the Big Mac in this thread, a Big Mac Meal in the UK is £3.49 at the moment. That's around 140 baht. 

On the other hand, you could say buying services like plumbing, electricians are way more in the UK. It all comes down to the basket of goods and services you consume. But when I read people saying Thailand is cheap, it's no longer true imo, unless you live a simple lifestyle.    

19 minutes ago, MarkyM3 said:

On the other hand, you could say buying services like plumbing, electricians are way more in the UK. It all comes down to the basket of goods and services you consume. But when I read people saying Thailand is cheap, it's no longer true imo, unless you live a simple lifestyle.   

My 3 bed house near Chiang Mai 1.8M baht (maybe 2M on a good day).

My 3 bed house near Oxford 700,000 pounds (sold for that last year).

Are you seriously claiming Thailand isn't cheaper?

Or do you think cheaper chocolate bars and wine are worth the 660,000 pounds extra for the house.

(and that isn't even taking into account property tax and utils)

The basket of goods doesn't need anything in it except housing when making the comparison.

Everything else is trivial.

Edited by BritManToo

15 hours ago, kingdong said:

what a wonderfull post this is,its bought out all the i,me,myself mob tellling us their personal life philosophies,to the detriment of other mere mortals who have dared to debate this subject,am truly gratefull for thai visa,s exisistance if not they would be roaming the bars boring everyone to death.

little baby.....

The point of the post was to indicate how much one has to pay for a <deleted> meal.....I did NOT buy the big mac.....and I can afford most things here in Thailand....just bought brand new triton....so money not a problem for me....

It is about principals......

I had a great roast beef dinner last eve for 195 baht,..... !!!!

On 7/28/2020 at 1:49 AM, Airalee said:

What we really need here is In-N-Out burger.  They did a “pop up” for 4 hours a couple years ago (sold out in 3) and were selling a “double double” for only ฿100.  At that price, if they ever had a permanent presence here they’d drive all the other burger joints out of business.

F904B890-D921-422A-B37C-08F75A06A40C.jpeg

I am a big fan of '5 Guys' ... The spicy fries are to die for (555 ... which you will do sooner rather than later if you eat to many of them)

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Or do you think cheaper chocolate bars and wine are worth the 660,000 pounds extra for the house.

The basket of goods doesn't need anything in it except housing when making the comparison.

But you live in a rice paddy according to your own posts and pics 

• Haha 1

In '97, a Big Mac meal cost 55 baht. The rate to the £ was 91 baht.

I literally couldn't spend much even if I wanted to do so. I deliberately set my budget at 500 baht per day and couldn't spend it. So I extended my holiday by months and still had money left over.

3 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I literally couldn't spend much even if I wanted to do so. I deliberately set my budget at 500 baht per day and couldn't spend it. So I extended my holiday by months and still had money left over.

dont  think it was 91 think 73 was highest rate in them there days !!

4 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Errr you were obviously here for the temples. 

6 minutes ago, madmen said:

Errr you were obviously here for the temples. 

I had a girlfriend with me, so a definite, yes. Beaches too. But strangely, no massages. Didn't like strangers touching me. Definitely no bars. Of course went to see a ping pong show. But that was a tiny part of the experience.

There was a demographic that simply visited for the cheap sex. But we were far, far away from that. On the forums, the sex tourists would describe us as dirty backpackers and all sorts of other derogatory names, as if somehow they were superior. Slagging off western women etc

It's the sex tourists who don't understand there is a life other than theirs. 

Your 'temples' comment is telling....as if you cannot believe that tourists can be in Thailand without partaking in the sex industry. A bit sad IMHO.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, essox essox said:

dont  think it was 91 think 73 was highest rate in them there days !!

In addition to my reply above, that was the 'official' rate. But include the exchanges who wanted to buy into a less volatile currency and there were probably people who were offered even more than 91. I may have even got more that that. I remember talking to a hotel receptionist about parity with the with the lowest unit of British currency.. 1 baht equalling 1 penny.

55 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

I am a big fan of '5 Guys' ... The spicy fries are to die for (555 ... which you will do sooner rather than later if you eat to many of them)

I’ve always wanted to try 5 guys but never had one close enough to me.  I’ve heard they’re the best and looking at pictures of them, I don’t doubt it for a minute.

9364230A-60D3-4339-8727-EA46A6CEDE2B.jpeg

• Haha 1

Just now, Airalee said:

I’ve always wanted to try 5 guys but never had one close enough to me.  I’ve heard they’re the best and looking at pictures of them, I don’t doubt it for a minute.

9364230A-60D3-4339-8727-EA46A6CEDE2B.jpeg

I liked to eat at Gourmet Burger King. But at up to £13 for a burger, I would only visit when my Tastecard(TM) offered me a 50% discount.

Not sure that they are still around.

20 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

In addition to my reply above, that was the 'official' rate. But include the exchanges who wanted to buy into a less volatile currency and there were probably people who were offered even more than 91. I may have even got more that that. I remember talking to a hotel receptionist about parity with the with the lowest unit of British currency.. 1 baht equalling 1 penny.

I also got more than 60 to one USD, and most official records do not show it ever above 60..but there was lots of intra-day volitility, same with the stock market during the recent bloodbath.  Ten year low on Exxon will say 32, but it was below 30 intra-day.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Read the post again - I said some things are way more expensive in the UK (I gave 2 examples and there will be plenty more) and it depends on what goods and services you consume i.e. your lifestyle. Hardly controversial, Sherlock. And where did I mention chocolate and wine? 

No doubt property and associated taxes are much more. And so are wages in the UK, remember. Look at purchasing power parity comparisons. Moreover, you compare one of the most affluent areas of the UK to somewhere near Chiang Mai. A fairer comparison is somewhere up in the north of England - you can buy a high quality 3-bed house in a good area in the north of England for circa £200-225k, in non-urban areas it's actually cheaper. 

I spend plenty of time in both countries and for my lifestyle - yes, a lot of day-to-day costs are currently cheaper than in the UK. Food and drink is very competitively priced in the UK, my shops in Big C etc. are more expensive, no doubt about it. And I don't buy a lot of imported foods. Decent clothing - overpriced in Thailand. Gf always takes loads back after coming to see me in the UK. If you buy your clothes in Lotus though, you won't see a difference.

I've read your posts before and you seem to allocate most of your budget to hoes, beer and weed. Your lifestyle is not necessarily representative of others here. 

I don't believe I am not the only one who has noticed the difference, even been mentioned in this thread. I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years, I think I have a reasonable viewpoint on what's gone on during that time. This kind of debate always tends to provoke strong reactions from some though. 

Just now, MarkyM3 said:

No doubt property and associated taxes are much more. And so are wages in the UK, remember. Look at purchasing power parity comparisons.

I have a pension, my 'wages' are the same no matter where I live in the world.

Housing cost is the only significant living cost, unless you live for free with your mom.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I have a pension, my 'wages' are the same no matter where I live in the world.

Housing cost is the only significant living cost, unless you live for free with your mom.

You have basically confirmed pretty much what I said in my response - you have a specific lifestyle, mine is different. You also said nothing about the housing cost comparisons. £700k for a 3 bed is not representative. I live near Weybridge, highly priced area, that's the sort of money I might expect to pay here. Not many areas can command those kinds of prices or near it - as you know. 

Edited by MarkyM3

Just now, MarkyM3 said:

You have basically confirmed pretty much what I said in my response. You also said nothing about the housing cost comparisons. £700k for a 3 bed is not representative. I live near Weybridge, highly priced area, that's the sort of money I might expect to pay here. Not many areas can command those kinds of prices or near it - as you know. 

Chiang Mai and Oxford are both University towns in rural settings.

You can't get more like for like than those two.

My 1.8Mbht house near CM, is slightly smaller than my 700,000 pound house near Oxford was.

But I have slightly nicer views in CM.