Swimming Pool Pumps

CNX69

I know that Astral pumps are made in Australia, but none of my friends in Thailand use one.

Emaux made in China are used by most people we know. Some admit to have problems.

Hayward are  bit expensive and no Thai users will share any useful info. 

it is not an easy choice. 

My pool builder used an Astral Pool subcontractor (or a sub-contractor who chose Astral Pool kit) to fit 1.5 pump, sand filter and chlorinator 9 years ago. I knew nothing about pools so it was a fait accompli at the time.

The 1.5HP pump needed to be replaced after 5 years (grinding noise). As it would have had to be sent to Spain to be renovated, I replaced it with a 1HP eco pump by Emaux. That pump has leaked from the (presumably faulty) gasket around its midriff leading to a build up of salt or calcium that has sealed the leak for now.

The Astral sand filter split after 3 years and I replaced it with the another Astral filter

I was a bit peed off with Astral kit and decided 2 years later to replace both the chlorinator and filter with Emaux kit at the same time as the pump, so have been with that brand for 4 years.

The Emaux filter now leaks from the top and makes strange gurgling sounds and also has taken to spewing out a few litres of pool water onto the pump room floor when I open the pump lid. The chlorinator is unreliable in switching off automatically on hotter days.

I have not been lucky with my choice of kit and would not recommend either Astral Pool or Emaux!

Edited by SantiSuk

19 hours ago, CNX69 said:

I know that Astral pumps are made in Australia, but none of my friends in Thailand use one.

Emaux made in China are used by most people we know. Some admit to have problems.

Hayward are  bit expensive and no Thai users will share any useful info. 

it is not an easy choice. 

Astral pumps are made in China as are most pool pumps. They are just branded by marketing companies. The problem with this is - 2 factories can be spewing out 1,000 of the same pumps. 1 factory can have good GC but the other none. To look at the pumps you would not know the difference. Hence you can get an Emaux that last 8 yrs and another that last 2/3 yrs!  

11 hours ago, SantiSuk said:

My pool builder used an Astral Pool subcontractor (or a sub-contractor who chose Astral Pool kit) to fit 1.5 pump, sand filter and chlorinator 9 years ago. I knew nothing about pools so it was a fait accompli at the time.

The 1.5HP pump needed to be replaced after 5 years (grinding noise). As it would have had to be sent to Spain to be renovated, I replaced it with a 1HP eco pump by Emaux. That pump has leaked from the (presumably faulty) gasket around its midriff leading to a build up of salt or calcium that has sealed the leak for now.

The Astral sand filter split after 3 years and I replaced it with the another Astral filter

I was a bit peed off with Astral kit and decided 2 years later to replace both the chlorinator and filter with Emaux kit at the same time as the pump, so have been with that brand for 4 years.

The Emaux filter now leaks from the top and makes strange gurgling sounds and also has taken to spewing out a few litres of pool water onto the pump room floor when I open the pump lid. The chlorinator is unreliable in switching off automatically on hotter days.

I have not been lucky with my choice of kit and would not recommend either Astral Pool or Emaux!

Sounds like maybe the installers did a poor job for you.

By the way, Astralpool now have a service centre in Bangkok and a smaller branch in Chiang Mai.

Edited by Greenside

I have 2 Hayward super II pumps, pool and Jacuzzi, and a Emaux pump for the waterfall.

All 3 running for 9 years, though Emaux pump very infrequently.

Hayward pumps very quiet, you have to carefully listen when standing outside the pumphouse.

Pool pump has run dry few times during those 9 years. I have recently changed the shaft seal on both, cost less than 700 Baht including all rubber gaskets on Amazon.

Emaux pump very loud

Edited by Susco

circulation - EmauxSB15 (1.5Hp)    THB 11,099

waterfall - EmauxSR15 (1.5Hp)       THB 11,099

spa - EmauxSR20 (2.0Hp)               THB 12,199

Emaux Volumetric Filter T700B 28" THB 15,299

EcoClear (Coarse) 25kg/bag  THB 699

EcoClear (Fine) 25kg/bag  THB 699

2 years Thai guarantee 

circulation - Astral Victoria Plus Silent 1.5 HP  THB 16,199

waterfall -  ?

spa - ?

Astral FG705 Filter Top / M D.700 (28 ")  THB 13,399

1 year Thai guarantee 

20 hours ago, CNX69 said:

circulation - Astral Victoria Plus Silent 1.5 HP  THB 16,199

waterfall -  ?

spa - ?

Astral FG705 Filter Top / M D.700 (28 ")  THB 13,399

1 year Thai guarantee 

You want to make sure that the "EcoClear" is recycled plate glass & not bottle glass.

Bottle glass only works as good as sand. It last longer but will build up pressure in the tank.

Full of plastic & minute paper. 

If it is multi coloured it is bottle glass & if snow white it is recycled bottle glass!

At the prices you quoted it most likely would be bottle glass!

Bottle Glass.jpg

Plate glass.jpg

Eco Clear.pdf

Edited by Bagwain