Unlimited Changes!

MamaSan

A few weeks ago, I opted to take advantage of a certain "unlimited flights" promotion with a local carrier and promptly booked at least 8 flights.  To date, more than half of them have been changed to times that are less than practical and in some cases, impossible for me.  I fully expect that as the time nears for my remaining bookings, the same will happen.

What a disappointing reward for trying to support a fledgling airline...

sorry OP, I remember that promo ... a friend sent me the pic of it. With the current airline environment being so unstable one would be extremely unwise to purchase from any airline.

Chances are the flight may be canceled and any refund will be hard to recover as they will delay, delay and delay payment.

good luck with yours.

Is this the Thai AirAsia promotion:

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2020/6/29/first-time-ever-the-new-airasia-unlimited-pass-set-to-accelerate-domestic-thai-tourism

which five (more than half of eight) flights did you book, which were cancelled?

I'd probably do a bit of research to see which flights have some history of flying.

To me it looks like FD have ~ 8 aircraft in the air right now, ex-DMK to domestic locations like CNX, HKT, NST, PHS, KKC, UTH, ROI, KBV.

What are we missing?

1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

What are we missing?

?

You ever hear of Covid which currently is producing economic problems, unstable/unreliable air travel creating floundering airlines on the brink of bankruptcy?

Purchasing that promo seems extremely foolish in these unsteady times.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1

You were hoping to get eight flights for 2999 Baht ?

That is less than 400 Baht per flight .

You wasnt trying to support them, you were taking advantage of their generous offer and as you booked so many flights, you would have been flying for less than cost price , which would have caused them to make a financial  loss .

Serves you right for being greedy

2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/2020/6/29/first-time-ever-the-new-airasia-unlimited-pass-set-to-accelerate-domestic-thai-tourism

which five (more than half of eight) flights did you book, which were cancelled?

I'd probably do a bit of research to see which flights have some history of flying.

To me it looks like FD have ~ 8 aircraft in the air right now, ex-DMK to domestic locations like CNX, HKT, NST, PHS, KKC, UTH, ROI, KBV.

What are we missing?

All domestic.  They were not cancelled per se but re-scheduled to a time which doesn't coincide with any plans I had made or didn't allow enough time for a reasonable return.

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

You were hoping to get eight flights for 2999 Baht ?

That is less than 400 Baht per flight .

You wasnt trying to support them, you were taking advantage of their generous offer and as you booked so many flights, you would have been flying for less than cost price , which would have caused them to make a financial  loss .

Serves you right for being greedy

How many unlimited flights would be considered generous, then?

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

What are we missing?

KOP. Came back from Bangkok a fews days ago and it's been pretty reliable since they started back up.

2 hours ago, MamaSan said:

They were not cancelled per se but re-scheduled

Yeah I saw that on rereading your OP.

Can you give one example of such a schedule change. Was it a few hours? few days? When were these flights?

The remaining flights are still looking good?

Still a lot of time to use this promo; know a few who bought it. Seems like a great deal.

Booking until 26 Nov, travel before 17 Dec.

Very generally speaking you'd want to stick with the first flight out, and the return pair a few days later.

Maybe start tracking propsective flights, see how they're performing?

Edited by mtls2005

7 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Yeah I saw that on rereading your OP.

Can you give one example of such a schedule change. Was it a few hours? few days? When were these flights?

The remaining flights are still looking good?

Still a lot of time to use this promo; know a few who bought it. Seems like a great deal.

Booking until 26 Nov, travel before 17 Dec.

Very generally speaking you'd want to stick with the first flight out, and the return pair a few days later.

Maybe start tracking propsective flights, see how they're performing?

Booked to go from CNX to DMK 1st thing in the morning (for a mid-day doctor's appt) and return the following day in late afternoon.  Outbound flight was changed to arrive in Bangkok around 3PM, which makes my appt impossible.  Although early morning flights were still available when I received the notice re-booking one way cost 4000B+ because it no longer qualified for the 21 day advance.  The rules also state that more than 3 no-shows for previously booked flights will result in being disqualified from the promotion. 

Unfortunate...

12 hours ago, MamaSan said:

Booked to go from CNX to DMK 1st thing in the morning (for a mid-day doctor's appt) and return the following day in late afternoon.  Outbound flight was changed to arrive in Bangkok around 3PM, which makes my appt impossible.

Can't say I'd ever schedule such a thing even during normal times. Fly down the day/night before, or schedule the appointment in the afternoon.

The no-show requirement is understandable. Just make sure you proactively cancel the rez per the T's and C's.

Have you successfully taken any flights?

What other schedule changes did you encounter? You said more than half, of eight trips (or was that segments)?

I didn't read through the FD promo, but it does sound restrictive (again, understandable) and a tad byzantine re: rules.

https://promotion.airasia.com/campaign/en/gb/fd-unlimited-pass.html#section3

In the event a passenger’s scheduled flight is cancelled, terminated, diverted, postponed, rescheduled or delayed before the passenger has reached his final destination as a result of a flight cancellation, Thai AirAsia-caused missed connection, flight delay, or omission of a scheduled stop due to circumstances beyond Thai AirAsia’s control or for reasons of safety or commercial reasons, Thai AirAsia shall at its discretion, either:

carry you at the earliest opportunity on another Thai AirAsia flight on which space is available at no charge; or

refund check-in baggage, meals or seat selections purchased and airport charges/taxes paid.

I assume you accepted all these terms and conditions, after having reviewed them of course, prior to purchase?

That promo was a good offer for people who have lots of free time and very flexible. The flights available were always going to the ones that suit Air Asia not the customer. The bottom line is you take what is available at whatever the time and for the price you can't really complain. Doctors appointment in BKK maybe you arrive the at 3pm on the day before appointment.

It was an amazing offer maybe even a once in a lifetime kind of deal but i didn't bother. I figured i would be booking a lot hotel nights that i didn't really want but i need to due to the availability of the flights. Like arriving at 11pm and not getting the full benefit of the hotel or checking out at 05:00 for the first flight of the day. Whole days "wasted" based around an inconvenient flight times. Plus like the OP has experienced cancellations and retimings that may mess things up even more. Under the current circumstances you can't blame the airline either they have to make the numbers add up or go out of business.

Edited by CNXBKKMAN
  • Like 2

On 7/28/2020 at 9:06 PM, MamaSan said:

Booked to go from CNX to DMK 1st thing in the morning (for a mid-day doctor's appt) and return the following day in late afternoon.  Outbound flight was changed to arrive in Bangkok around 3PM, which makes my appt impossible.  Although early morning flights were still available when I received the notice re-booking one way cost 4000B+ because it no longer qualified for the 21 day advance.  The rules also state that more than 3 no-shows for previously booked flights will result in being disqualified from the promotion. 

Unfortunate...

So were the flight times changed or the actual flight numbers?  Yeah I have the promo too.  They screwed my name up so I couldn't book flights, took 3 weeks to fix.  I should probably go and book a few. 

Your experience gives me caution, especially about booking "quick turn" flights.  Usually airlines have a policy that if a flight changes more and 3-4 hours you can rebook times/dates free of charge but with AirAsia....lolz.   Can you cancel the flight, or is not taking it (and eating one of the three "misses") the only option?  Any other threads on the airAsia unlimited?

46 minutes ago, theWTD said:

So were the flight times changed or the actual flight numbers?  Yeah I have the promo too.  They screwed my name up so I couldn't book flights, took 3 weeks to fix.  I should probably go and book a few. 

Your experience gives me caution, especially about booking "quick turn" flights.  Usually airlines have a policy that if a flight changes more and 3-4 hours you can rebook times/dates free of charge but with AirAsia....lolz.   Can you cancel the flight, or is not taking it (and eating one of the three "misses") the only option?  Any other threads on the airAsia unlimited?

So far - just the times...  Tried to cancel (so someone else could use the seat) but their online system says these don't qualify because they're discounted.  Right.

My name hasn't been screwed but my gender has been - for some reason, it keeps changing in the system when I book although I've been a member for years.  It'll be interesting to see how this wrinkle plays out when I try to board...

• 1 month later...

'Resurrecting this topic for the purpose of apologizing for "jumping the gun" and complaining before having the change to appreciate how truly wonderful this offer actually was.  In retrospect, a few minor inconveniences here and there were well worth being able to take advantage of this exceptional deal and get out post-covid to enjoy places I've never visited in Thailand.  Thank you, Air Asia - I promise to at least postpone my whinging in the future.  Sorry!