Justice minister suggests Thai prisons could become tourist attractions

webfact

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My coffe just spewed from my nose and I fell to the floor laughing so hard at such a ridiculous new concept for tourism......

TAT Slogan "Fly to Thailand and be quarantined in our spacious and most luxurious cells, do not forget to tell your friends of the new scared straight tourusm experience"

Or does he mean releasing prisoners to start new careers as motorcycle taxis, pimps and drug dealers in tourism areas?

How many people would want to see the inside of a Thai prison? I think most people would spend their lives trying to avoid the places having heard of the conditions that the inmates are kept in!

Honestly, this smacks of desperation, and the only exception I can think of is if "Boss" had been tried and incarcerated, he could well have become a tourist attraction in his own right - they could even build some stocks and charge the tourists 100 baht a throw!

I can see it now........

Lady holding flag with a trail of tourists behind...

On you left is Somchai, A yaba head who killed his family.......

Next on the right Peter from England, he overstayed his visa...........

next you see Boss from Thailand .......Oh ..wait... He has just been released for killing a policeman..........

Shall we go to the the prison restaurant now and have some food, before we go to to the execution chamber?

2 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

besides that, prisons as tourist atractions (although that is NOT the plan of this Thai official) is common. Just look at the usa with Alcatraz etc.

With Alcatraz, I'm pretty sure they waited until long after the prison had already been closed and the inmates long gone. 

TV is gonna TV again. 

A year or 2 ago I've visited a place where mostly people work who were about to get out of jail. They learned new skills etc. Which is actually a beautiful and good idea. 

If you are mocking this idea and in the same time mention that jails here are terrible.... What do you want then? Because nothing is good and everything needs to be complained about. 

People mocking the tourist idea.... Then you just don't go.

And it's not like this is being advertised or something. Who goes specially to Thailand to see this? 

This is actually a good idea to help prisoners who want to get a fresh start, to get in touch with the world again. I really don't see the problem. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, YetAnother said:

then,again, we have the wrong guy in the job

8 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Another brain dead Minister in Prayut's band of deadheads.

exactly a brain dead andtotally stupid person..FIrst how are you going to get tourist into thailand and 2nd who is the crazy tourist who has already spend $2000 for quarantine and $1500 flying to thailand to spend the rest of his 3 weeks  vacation touring the prison instead Soi NANA for a sweet piece of ass.

• Like 1

do those people in government think that thailand is so wonderful .No matter how much they want to squeeze from the tourists, they will come begging to enter thailand.

I do not believe that the chinese tours would attract any chinese tourist to want to visit the prison unless they offer free food  or free lodging in one of the cells

2 hours ago, herwin1234 said:

despite the hideous title of this post (no doubt to, as always, ridicule Thai officials) this seems a good and humane idea. 

besides that, prisons as tourist atractions (although that is NOT the plan of this Thai official) is common. Just look at the usa with Alcatraz etc.

Alcatraz hasn't been a prison since 1963

From top to bottom, these people in government are totally incapable to run a country .

they hate the farangs but they want to squeeze them  and any Thai who disagreewith them.

From people demonstrating,  bad immigration policies and justices ruling,  jobs and not forgeting currencies manipulation. and they are still there in power.

they seems to manipulate all situationsto make it rosy and justify being in power.

Sooner or later the sleepy giant will wake up. IF the common people are not getting what they need to survive, they will revolt..It has happenned through history and even today in America. that is human nature with no exception on the class structure established.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

There you go, 'visit a Thai jail and for an extra $200 you can spent the night, and for an extra $100 you can hear the loud noises of the locks closing at 8.00 pm and re-opening at 5.00 am. And for another $100 you can shower with the prisoners before you leave.

Can't fail, every tourist will love it. 

may be the ugly old bag tourist ( any sex..trans better)  can get a piece of ass in gang bang style HAHAHAHA or tuen the prison as CELL NANA...HAHAHAHAHAHHHHHH

37 minutes ago, DiJoDavO said:

TV is gonna TV again. 

A year or 2 ago I've visited a place where mostly people work who were about to get out of jail. They learned new skills etc. Which is actually a beautiful and good idea. 

If you are mocking this idea and in the same time mention that jails here are terrible.... What do you want then? Because nothing is good and everything needs to be complained about. 

People mocking the tourist idea.... Then you just don't go.

And it's not like this is being advertised or something. Who goes specially to Thailand to see this? 

This is actually a good idea to help prisoners who want to get a fresh start, to get in touch with the world again. I really don't see the problem. 

I just heard there are 60 000 Thai people in jail for small offenses but they can not pay their bail.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to help them get a fresh start?

Possibly, very possibly, I could have had a free, long-time visit. I had a few drinks at Chaweng Market (Mr Tipsy, iirc). Paid my bill. Got up to leave. A Thai, stops & and asks me: " is this yours, you may have dropped it?" A little deal-bag of green! Waved him off............ methinks a set-up> Cynical?

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

There you go, 'visit a Thai jail and for an extra $200 you can spent the night, and for an extra $100 you can hear the loud noises of the locks closing at 8.00 pm and re-opening at 5.00 am. And for another $100 you can shower with the prisoners before you leave.

Can't fail, every tourist will love it. 

Bent over picking up soap included?

Shades of England's Newgate prison back in Dickensian days. Spectators could even throw things to or at the prisoners. Perhaps pineapples, coconuts and durian could be on sale for just that purpose. Oh what sport! Tourists will visit in droves.????????

This country will not survive. They just keep digging

and digging, deeper and deeper. They seems to be determine

to get back to "The good old days". Oh well, don`t let 

anything come in the way.

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

My coffe just spewed from my nose and I fell to the floor laughing so hard at such a ridiculous new concept for tourism......

TAT Slogan "Fly to Thailand and be quarantined in our spacious and most luxurious cells, do not forget to tell your friends of the new scared straight tourusm experience"

It's not new. Places in South America have let tourists take tours for decades. Not sure if they still do or not but this isn't some new idea straight out of Thailand.