Six U.S. mayors urge Congress to block Trump federal deployment

webfact

22 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

And whilst we are on the subject, Seattle is not talking about abolishing the police. That is not what defunding means. They are talking about reducing the police force and with the money saved, re-direct it to a new Department of Community Safety, which will be more focused on prevention. A slightly more balanced version of events (as opposed to Murdochs usual sensationlist right wing rag) is available here https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-city-council-members-propose-police-layoffs-but-say-they-cant-defund-by-50-right-away/

Soooooo, when the thugs are breaking down the door to rob and rape one can call the Department of Community Safety to come and have a conference with the criminals then?

:whistling:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2020 at 4:39 PM, EVENKEEL said:

We'll see how next to nothing it means that democrats stood by and let cities burn. Hey folks who had your livelihoods destroyed, it pretty means pretty close to nothing. 

US cities ain't burning, other in Trump supporters' hyperbole rants. Fires yes, whole cities burning? Not really. Thinking that it might come to that isn't quite the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yup nothing but peaceful streets and people singing Cumbaya in Portland. There are peaceful protests in the day but at night things take a turn. Of course the media sensationalizes it to death. Just like they sensationalize how many cops are racist, the virus, etc. 

If there are no bad actors in Portland then there are no bad cops either. It isn't so clear cut. Also many of the normal protestors especially ones in the night time should know who is involved in criminal activity. So you can't simply say I was just simply protesting as I quietly watched people assemble molotov cocktails. 

This is why black communities ironically are so bad. The criminal element with in is tolerated and even celebrated by the "innocent" bystanders. If they do not want the police in their neighborhoods to sort out the problem they need to man up and hold those type of individuals accountable with in their own community. Yet we all know that doesn't happen.

https://katu.com/news/local/truck-drives-through-protesters-police-say-break-in-at-their-union-building

Whatever you call it, it sounds real pleasant doesn't it? 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

<SNIP>The criminal element with in is tolerated and even celebrated by the "innocent" bystanders.

Is it not true generally potential witnesses are fearing for thier and families lives from gang / criminal retaliation? Law enforcement also has significant issues gaining trust and respect in African American communities - it is not a one-way street; faults lies with both parties.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Is it not true generally potential witnesses are fearing for thier and families lives from gang / criminal retaliation? Law enforcement also has significant issues gaining trust and respect in African American communities - it is not a one-way street; faults lies with both parties.

That might be true but they are also watching the looting on their new 70" TV that Junior "brought" home. Where did that come from?

• Like 2

This is for the benefit of Cryingdick, Ozin Pattaya, EvenKeel and the one that loves Thai Beaches.

This subject demonstrates quite succinctly the different approaches from opposing arguments. The frustration when hearing your thoughts (and they are valid sometimes) is your tendancy to have such black and white (pun intended) views on what are quite nuanced subjects. You argue that 'cities are burning' and 'dems can't maintain law and order' by assuming we are advocating the violence and destruction going on by a minority of protestors. This is just simply not the case as no one is condoning the hooligan element obviously present at these demonstrations but what we are saying is a measured approach is required (one that the 6 mayors are advocating) that doesn't incite even more trouble. This is what the facts are saying; yes there is vandalism and trouble (although not nearly as much as you are trying to make out) but the protests where subsiding and petering out (as often these things do) until Trump added fuel to the fire by ordering a heavy handed federal incursion that does nothing to help the situation other than get his own base fired up yet again and distract the populace from his terrible handing of the C19 pandemic.

The 6 mayors are people who know what is best for their cities and they are all saying they don't want federal help because their approach is de-escalating the problem rather that Trumps approach which is not. This is now bearing fruit with Portland courthouse area seeing its smallest crowd in four days and more importantly, those present remained peaceful through the course of the night with no violent agitators apparent therein.  https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/08/03/portland-riots-read-out-august-3 . This of course can be put down to the use of Federal forces but is likely just to be the petering out of these protests.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I've scowered several news sites for verification) but apart from Portland, I cannot see any other troubles in any other US city (I'm not 100% on this so would happily be corrected if not true).

Big problems require nuanced solutions so when you are cherry picking scenarios to back up your narrative, please remember there is more than one way to skin a cat, something that many of us understand but many of you don't.

Edited by johnnybangkok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, johnnybangkok said:

This is for the benefit of Cryingdick, Ozin Pattaya, EvenKeel and the one that loves Thai Beaches.

This subject demonstrates quite succinctly the different approaches from opposing arguments. The frustration when hearing your thoughts (and they are valid sometimes) is your tendancy to have such black and white (pun intended) views on what are quite nuanced subjects. You argue that 'cities are burning' and 'dems can't maintain law and order' by assuming we are advocating the violence and destruction going on by a minority of protestors. This is just simply not the case as no one is condoning the hooligan element obviously present at these demonstrations but what we are saying is a measured approach is required (one that the 6 mayors are advocating) that doesn't incite even more trouble. This is what the facts are saying; yes there is vandalism and trouble (although not nearly as much as you are trying to make out) but the protests where subsiding and petering out (as often these things do) until Trump added fuel to the fire by ordering a heavy handed federal incursion that does nothing to help the situation other than get his own base fired up yet again and distract the populace from his terrible handing of the C19 pandemic.

The 6 mayors are people who know what is best for their cities and they are all saying they don't want federal help because their approach is de-escalating the problem rather that Trumps approach which is not. This is now bearing fruit with Portland courthouse area seeing its smallest crowd in four days and more importantly, those present remained peaceful through the course of the night with no violent agitators apparent therein.  https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/08/03/portland-riots-read-out-august-3 . This of course can be put down to the use of Federal forces but is likely just to be the petering out of these protests.

And correct me if I'm wrong (I've scowered several news sites for verification) but apart from Portland, I cannot see any other troubles in any other US city (I'm not 100% on this so would happily be corrected if not true).

Big problems require nuanced solutions so when you are cherry picking scenarios to back up your narrative, please remember there is more than one way to skin a cat, something that many of us understand. 

I never said the city was burning.I said there were riots. Portland isn't Minneapolis.

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Cryingdick said:

That might be true but they are also watching the looting on their new 70" TV that Junior "brought" home. Where did that come from?

A less well-off family is going to report a family member to police for theft? Then you have wealthy people defrauding people pf millions / billions, how many are dobbed into the police by family?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

I wasn't talking about you. EvenKeel said cities were burning

https://www.foxnews.com/us/protest-portland-violence-attack-journalist

https://nypost.com/2020/06/08/portland-police-chief-jami-resch-quits-taps-black-cop-as-replacement/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1210871/portland-arizona-texas-blm-protesters-garrett-foster/

Nothing to see here folks, yes I stated the cities are burning, the violence continues. Nothing to see here folks, nothing but peaceful protesters.

For some reason you're obsessed with "cities are burning" they are...Portland is still burning, show proof it;s all over across America. Show me the violence and destruction is over. You can't, you can reference ultra left news showing all is well I'll bet.

Go find someone else to be obsessed with......

Kum 

Bah Yah America..... 

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/protest-portland-violence-attack-journalist

https://nypost.com/2020/06/08/portland-police-chief-jami-resch-quits-taps-black-cop-as-replacement/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/1210871/portland-arizona-texas-blm-protesters-garrett-foster/

Nothing to see here folks, yes I stated the cities are burning, the violence continues. Nothing to see here folks, nothing but peaceful protesters.

For some reason you're obsessed with "cities are burning" they are...Portland is still burning, show proof it;s all over across America. Show me the violence and destruction is over. You can't, you can reference ultra left news showing all is well I'll bet.

Go find someone else to be obsessed with......

Kum 

Bah Yah America..... 

One more time for the people at the back; if Portland is burning, name 5 buildings that have burned? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

One more time for the people at the back; if Portland is burning, name 5 buildings that have burned? 

You can't avoid the onslaught of images of fires being set in Portland. Nothing to see here folks. Portland is doing just fine.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Info on damage in Portland dated 7 July which hopefully provides some perspective...

They estimated repair costs to public buildings approaching $300,000 so far and $4.8 million in property damage to businesses.

https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/07/city-multnomah-county-detail-violence-cost-of-repairs-damage-in-response-to-dont-shoot-portlands-motion-to-restrict-tear-gas-less-lethal-weapons.html

• Thanks 1

Straight from Seattle the defunding is working out nicely, their first Black female Police Chief resigned because of cuts......

• Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best announced her resignation on Monday, effective September 2.

• Best, who is the city's first Black female police chief, decided to quit hours after the City Council passed cuts to her department's budget.

• The Seattle Police Department's $409 million budget was reduced by $3.5 million for the rest of the year, which will likely result in about 100 officers being laid off.

• The cuts amount to far less than the 50% sought by Black Lives Matter protesters.

https://www.insider.com/seattles-black-police-chief-carmen-best-resigns-after-budget-cuts-2020-8

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 10:52 PM, johnnybangkok said:

Big problems require nuanced solutions so when you are cherry picking scenarios to back up your narrative, please remember there is more than one way to skin a cat, something that many of us understand but many of you don't.

This is a very well considered post. The problem is that the lack of appreciation for nuance is coming almost exclusively from the Left. These, make no mistake, are the "black and white" thinkers. So if you want to decry the lack of nuance, maybe the political party you most likely sympathize with shouldn't support the likes of Antifa and the BLM. My personal beef is with left-wing radicalism, which has been adopted by the Democratic Party, precisely this lack of nuance of which you speak. Don't pretend for one moment that this is coming from the right wing. This bigoted, intolerant, tribalistic mentality. That's on you Lefties.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, OZinPattaya said:

This is a very well considered post. The problem is that the lack of appreciation for nuance is coming almost exclusively from the Left. These, make no mistake, are the "black and white" thinkers. So if you want to decry the lack of nuance, maybe the political party you most likely sympathize with shouldn't support the likes of Antifa and the BLM. My personal beef is with left-wing radicalism, which has been adopted by the Democratic Party, precisely this lack of nuance of which you speak. Don't pretend for one moment that this is coming from the right wing. This bigoted, intolerant, tribalistic mentality. That's on you Lefties.

Since you seem so convinced that Democrats support Antifa and BLM you should have no problem finding several quoteS from Democratic congressman/woman or democratic senators specifically condoning these groups and supporting the looters? 5 will do please. 
If you are struggling to find a valid source for this then perhaps you might want to consider it is just a GOP narrative that is desperately trying to pin “supporting anarchy” on the Dems without any evidence other than them offering support and sympathy to peaceful protestors who are using their democratic right to protest. 
The tactic is so basic and transparent as to be laughable but you just keep banging that drum without any evidence other than what Fox News is trying (obviously quite well) to sell you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1