BANGKOK
Rob21

Can a qualified lecturer find a job at this time in Thailand?

Hi There,

I am living in Thailand and I would like to establish my life in Thailand. 

Please I would like to receive advise from the community if there is any possibility to find a teaching job preferably in University in Thailand during this time of COVID-19. 

I have a PhD in Economics, Bachelor and Master degrees in Marketing and Business Communication. I hold more than 15 years of experience teaching Economics, Marketing as well as Econometrics for undergraduate and postgraduate students within Universities and Colleges (in Europe, UK and South-East Asia).

Kindly, any advise/tips?

Thanks indeed.

Should be possible

Just reach out to the schools you're interested in. A friend of mine recently landed a new University job in Bangkok, just a couple of months back.

There are many Universities offering international business courses. Decide where you want to live and visit the universities in that area. 

Posted (edited)

What area do you live in now? And were do you wish to teach? Do you speak Thai?

Edited by doggie1955

1 hour ago, doggie1955 said:

What area do you live in now? And were do you wish to teach? Do you speak Thai?

Thanks all for the comments.

I am living in Chiang Mai but willing to relocate in a different city. Unfortunately, I do not speak Thai.

Any websites available for teaching jobs in Thailand?

10 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

Thanks all for the comments.

I am living in Chiang Mai but willing to relocate in a different city. Unfortunately, I do not speak Thai.

Any websites available for teaching jobs in Thailand?

https://www.ajarn.com

If you are ready to live a chip charlie but just enough for everything life, universities or vocational colleges are your best shot.

If you want to work at the bottom of all human beings.. normal government schools are for you as a english teacher.

A normal life... international schools are for you.

My suggestion would be universities. I know from my friends. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Thanks.

18 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

If you are ready to live a chip charlie but just enough for everything life, universities or vocational colleges are your best shot.

If you want to work at the bottom of all human beings.. normal government schools are for you as a english teacher.

A normal life... international schools are for you.

My suggestion would be universities. I know from my friends. 

Thanks for the suggestion. You right. 

I have seen thousands of jobs for English teachers but I did not see any position or website for university jobs. Any idea where academic jobs are posted in Thailand?

In addition, do you know the salary range for Universities in Thailand? Thanks.

Edited by Rob21

Moved to the Teaching in Thailand Forum for better input.

Register with Mahidol University's e-Recruitment. They are one of Thailand's top universities in Bangkok.

https://muhr.mahidol.ac.th/E-Recruitment/index_en.php

Upload all of your documents, degrees, references, and they'll send you multiple job postings a week. Don't use the "leave your resume" option, apply for each job directly as you get notifications. It won't be long before you get an interview, as I have.

Pros: Prestigious university. You'll be looked up to and respected, by students, colleagues, and the Thai people that you meet. You'll be doing "real" teaching befitting your qualifications, as opposed to most of the other teaching jobs you're likely to find in Thailand.

Cons: The salary is only about 42k. 🥺 This is at all Thai government universities. You could do much better monetarily, at secondary level private or international schools.

But if, you like real university level work, this is the way to go. I've heard the way other foreign teachers at Thai govt universities get by with the small salary, is that by saying they're a university lecturer lands them a lot of side gigs. Good luck.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I've heard the way other foreign teachers at Thai govt universities get by with the small salary, is that by saying they're a university lecturer lands them a lot of side gigs.

True, though side gigs like consultancy are easier for Thais to come by.

9 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Pros: Prestigious university. You'll be looked up to and respected, by students, colleagues, and the Thai people that you meet.

Yes, a very nice perk indeed to proffer your card with a Chula or Thammasat or a Mahidol on it at any Thai business and transform magically from a dubious farang into an elite:-)

Edited by Why Me

52 minutes ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Cons: The salary is only about 42k. 🥺 This is at all Thai government universities. You could do much better monetarily, at secondary level private or international schools.

Thanks everybody for comments.

Yes you right in absolute terms, the salary could be higher at secondary level private or international schools but I think they have an office time schedule (6-8 hours a day for 5-6 days in a week). In Universities, it should be much different 🙂 

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Thanks indeed for the link very helpful.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. You right. 

I have seen thousands of jobs for English teachers but I did not see any position or website for university jobs. Any idea where academic jobs are posted in Thailand?

In addition, do you know the salary range for Universities in Thailand? Thanks.

"In addition, do you know the salary range for Universities in Thailand? Thanks."

Not quite that simple;

- Some foreign lecturers are paid by the course at an hourly rate but no retainer.

- A small number of foreign lecturers are lucky enough to get an annual contract, usually:

- A monthly salary (30,000Baht a month is the highest I'm aware of, also heard of 20,000Baht and 15,000Baht a month). Every uni is different.

- But for the monthly salary the lecturer must teach 2 courses (no extra payments) and must complete some other tasks. Some unis require the lecturer to be on campus a fixed number of hours in addition to class room time, some don't.

- Some unis will assign the contract holder to teach more courses at an hourly rate, on top of the fixed salary but no guarantees.  

- Those on monthly salary usually very well qualified and experienced and have very good student surveys,

In general, most unis require that the lecturer holds at least one aligned masters degree.

Some require 2 masters degrees.

When I was lecturing at Chula and Thamassat both required that foreign lecturers (terms could be any of the points above) must have a Masters and a Ph.D.  That's about 10 years ago, maybe it's changed. This requirement comes from the ed. ministry, mostly applies to unis under direct gov't control often meaning they receive large gov't funding. But other unis do work under different rules.

By Ed. ministry rules some unis are required to send originals (always returned) and copies of the prospective lecturers qualifications to the higher education office and they actively check they are authentic.

I'm aware of one guy who has many old qualifications gained in a European country before that country aligned itself to the typical, bachelor, masters, doctoral degree 'system'.  The Ed ministry officials did some checking then said 'not accepted' because the documents don't mention (in English or in the EU language) bachelor, masters, doctoral and when they approached the unis in the EU country they wouldn't give a clear indication of alignment to bachelor, masters, doctoral. No further discussion.

I have heard of a few foreigners getting work (don't know the terms) in other uni streams. e.g. the Rajhabat system and some other which started as technical colleges but in later years have added a business faculty or similar. Also aware of 1 uni in Chiang Mai which for years employed several farang who had no qualifications at all, but that was stopped I guess 10 - 15 years ago. 

And one 'Business School' near the Chiang Mai airport which was ordered closed a few years ago because they don't have and cannot get certification to operate a uni, and have no desire to upgrade their school, lecturers unqualified, awards issued to students are not recognized by anybody.

No courses taught in English, but they were advertising 'International English Program'. They continued to operate for several years after ordered to close, don't know the current situation. 

I'm not aware of a website where uni jobs are posted.

Most uni's would be negative about 'walk-in' job seekers.

If you call the usual 'system' is that you will be transferred to the secretary of the Dean, the sec. will take your details (probably just wanting names of your degrees and any experience but in macro details only, and ask for your phone no. and your e.mail address and indicate he/she will pass your details to the dean.  

Probably 90 - 95% of these calls there's no return call from the dean or anybody. 

In some universities there's strong/very strong pressure from Thai lecturers who speak English, for the Thai professors to teach the English language courses.  This often relates to hourly rates, meaning that if the Thai lecturer teaches in English they get a substantial 'bonus' in their earnings.  

There's lots of configurations. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

If your willing to live the easy life in any of the cities in Issan you can easily find a job at a Thai government university. You will be teaching classes to majority of cute thai girls but the salary is 28,000 baht a month. You will get the social security health scheme at the local hospital. 

It will not be very challenging but you will be teaching English mostly and maybe some computers. Maybe teach researching methods. All students are deemed to pass except if they cheated. 

Hours at these jobs are flexi  and you can go home after you finish you classes. 

Other end of the scale is any of the top unis in Bangkok. Far more serious position and accountable for everything. 

So you just have to make the decision if you want to work in a high class uni in Bangkok or low class position in the country.