Can a qualified lecturer find a job at this time in Thailand?

Rob21

Thanks everybody for all insights.

to find an open position posted is not an easy job in Thailand, likely there are not. As some people suggested contacting directly each uni is the way to go avoiding institutes with no accreditation

I am wondering how the Universities in Thailand operates during the employability process: They require that the candidate has to obtain the work permit beforehand starting working (getting an offer->getting work permit -> then starting working); or the employer asks for a period of teaching assessment -> then starting the application of work permit.

Other questions, how long will take to get the work permit? If I have a visa on arrival and then amnesty, can I apply for the work permit without leaving Thailand?

Thanks.

Edited by Rob21

22 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

I am wondering how the Universities in Thailand operates during the employability process: They require that the employee have to obtain the work permit beforehand starting working (getting a job->getting work permit -> then starting working); or they ask for a period of teaching assessment -> then starting the application of work permit.

The uni's HR will take care of it once you get the appointment letter (a copy of which is required by the Labor dept. to issue the permit). Moreover, they can't pay you a dime if you don't have the WP. So that's the first step.

"period of teaching assessment"? I've never heard of that for a foreign instructor. You'll probably get a short contract period on your first appointment, not less than a year though, after which you may or may not be rehired.

28 minutes ago, Rob21 said:

Another question, how long will take to get the work permit?

A couple of hours if the HR is competent. And most international programs have competent HRs. Go to the local Labor Dept. off. -> you'll probably have to tag along the first time -> take a number or if they know officers there ... -> provide docs/passport/photos/copies-> stamp, sign, stamp, sign, -> off you go to teach with your shiny new blue book.

Btw, you should definitely look at international programs. Salaries at Thai schools are barely survivable. International business programs on the other hand pay faculty well I have heard, north of 100k.

17 hours ago, Rob21 said:

Thanks for the useful link.

Also keep in mind that uni registrations (especially new students) have gone way down in Thailand (and in many countries) in the last several years, which has impact on the total number of classes actually started/taught and therefore number of lecturers employed.

12 hours ago, Why Me said:

Btw, you should definitely look at international programs. Salaries at Thai schools are barely survivable.

Thanks for the information and I am totally agree with the above statement.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Also keep in mind that uni registrations (especially new students) have gone way down in Thailand (and in many countries) in the last several years, which has impact on the total number of classes actually started/taught and therefore number of lecturers employed.

Right, though at this unprecedented time, likely the demand for lecturers should be higher than usual. Let's see.

1 hour ago, Rob21 said:

Thanks for the information and I am totally agree with the above statement.

Right, though at this unprecedented time, likely the demand for lecturers should be higher than usual. Let's see.

Good point but I was referring to the drop in registrations which has been evident for several years.

There have been claims of global surveys indicating that a high number of millenials claim 'they don't need high education' because they are naturally smarter than uni graduates. Whatever.  

Edited by scorecard

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Good point but I was referring to the drop in registrations which has been evident for several years.

Likely, I miss the part in red. 

... likely the demand for lecturers should be higher than usual despite the drop of students enrolled. As a result, less open classes/courses overall though much less foreigner lecturers available during COVID-19.

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

There have been claims of global surveys indicating that a high number of millenials claim 'they don't need high education' because they are naturally smarter than uni graduates. Whatever.  

They are not so wrong ????. Many people are very successful without any university background though having a university degree and its related knowledge might open more doors for their employability.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, problemfarang said:

If you are ready to live a chip charlie but just enough for everything life, universities or vocational colleges are your best shot.

If you want to work at the bottom of all human beings.. normal government schools are for you as a english teacher.

A normal life... international schools are for you.

My suggestion would be universities. I know from my friends. 

"work at the bottom of all human beings..." - ahahahahaaa! Funny indeed - not exaggerating?