VPN for Australia Ch 7, 10

carlyai

My current VPN is expiring and expensive, but cannot access Australia ch7 and ch10. Ch9 is OK and other locations. I am using my VPN site and Open VPN at the moment.

Anyone recommend a great VPN that doesn't have Australian access problems, lots of servers and quick.

Currently I use Identity Cloaked. 

4 hours ago, i84teen said:

what channels specifically u want, I have AU channels 7, 9, 10, etc. and they all seem to work fine with or without a vpn.

Thanks for the reply. Without an Australian IP address I can't get access. Or access is blocked. How do you get access? I can't get 7, 10.

On 7/29/2020 at 9:24 AM, 1948wjm said:

Have you tried "Live Net TV" app as no VPN is required or another one is "Media Lounge".

Thanks. Live Net TV goes down a lot, and I haven't tried Media Lounge but will today.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, carlyai said:

Thanks. Live Net TV goes down a lot, and I haven't tried Media Lounge but will today.

Media lounge is worse than Livenet.

With free apps, as with everything else, you get what you pay for it.

I assume you try to connect to the official channels in Australia.

Your best bet will probably SmartDNS, and you can get a free trial

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

If that fails a paid IPTV service will serve you well.

PM me if you are interested in the latter option

10 hours ago, Susco said:

Media lounge is worse than Livenet.

With free apps, as with everything else, you get what you pay for it.

I assume you try to connect to the official channels in Australia.

Your best bet will probably SmartDNS, and you can get a free trial

https://www.smartdnsproxy.com/

If that fails a paid IPTV service will serve you well.

PM me if you are interested in the latter option

Thanks. I've found the free apps unreliable. 

I just renewed my VPN subscription. 

I'll keep you in mind if I get trouble watching the football.

On 8/2/2020 at 9:00 AM, carlyai said:

Thanks. I've found the free apps unreliable. 

I just renewed my VPN subscription. 

I'll keep you in mind if I get trouble watching the football.

It's my understanding a lot of the VPN IP addresses get blacklisted by these apps.  You either have to try another VPN, or ask you VPN provider to refresh their IP addresses for the particular country you wish to access.  This is something they will not do just for one customer.  There would have to be several requests.  

8 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Does this get around geo blocking?  Could you PM me some details please?  

You have a couple of issues here: 1. If you try to download an app for, say ch7 Australia and your country selected in play store is Thailand, then it won't download as you are not in the Australian geographical region. 

2. A VPN (Virtual Private Network), connects from your computer to a server in the country you specify. Banks use a VPN when you do internet banking. So when you connect to a server in the country you use one of that servers IP addresses to access your site. 

So there's nothing illegal in a VPN. Trouble is some sites (maybe ch 10 I don't know), seem to be using software that counts the distance you are away from Australia then works out you are using a VPN and block access. I just like to watch different news broadcasts, that's why I like to get 7 and 10, but it is not that important.

There are many different versions of VPNs around (like OpenVPN and others.

VPNs get around Geoblocking as you are using a server in the same country. You need a fast one with many servers in the countries you want to access.

I think this info is fairly correct. 

27 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Trouble is some sites (maybe ch 10 I don't know), seem to be using software that counts the distance you are away from Australia then works out you are using a VPN and block access.

I am familiar on how a VPN works, but measuring the distance away from Australia is a new one for me.  In theory, I suppose they could time a ping, but that would have to account for slow ISP's, traffic congestion etc.

I would say it's more like IP address getting blacklisted.  

As for banks, I was under the believe the user starts an encrypted session with the bank's server.  Similar to a VPN, but not actually a VPN, but I could be wrong about this.  

45 minutes ago, carlyai said:

You have a couple of issues here: 1. If you try to download an app for, say ch7 Australia and your country selected in play store is Thailand, then it won't download as you are not in the Australian geographical region. 

2. A VPN (Virtual Private Network), connects from your computer to a server in the country you specify. Banks use a VPN when you do internet banking. So when you connect to a server in the country you use one of that servers IP addresses to access your site. 

So there's nothing illegal in a VPN. Trouble is some sites (maybe ch 10 I don't know), seem to be using software that counts the distance you are away from Australia then works out you are using a VPN and block access. I just like to watch different news broadcasts, that's why I like to get 7 and 10, but it is not that important.

There are many different versions of VPNs around (like OpenVPN and others.

VPNs get around Geoblocking as you are using a server in the same country. You need a fast one with many servers in the countries you want to access.

I think this info is fairly correct. 

This should explain, why a SmartDNS is better than a vpn for geo blocked streaming services

https://www.smartydns.com/smart-dns/smart-dns-vs-vpn/

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacidad/netflix-blocked-your-vpn-smart-dns-is-the-answer/

32 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

I am familiar on how a VPN works, but measuring the distance away from Australia is a new one for me.  In theory, I suppose they could time a ping, but that would have to account for slow ISP's, traffic congestion etc.

I would say it's more like IP address getting blacklisted.  

As for banks, I was under the believe the user starts an encrypted session with the bank's server.  Similar to a VPN, but not actually a VPN, but I could be wrong about this.  

Measuring the time taken for the Ping would indicate the use of a VPN or not. Have tried new servers, same result. Think maybe a Ping check is what they do. 

A message comes up from the target site ....if you are using a VPN disconnect it and try again.    So they are guessing you use a VPN, how? ....from a Ping test.

Not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, carlyai said:

Measuring the time taken for the Ping would indicate the use of a VPN or not. Have tried new servers, same result. Think maybe a Ping check is what they do. 

A message comes up from the target site ....if you are using a VPN disconnect it and try again.    So they are guessing you use a VPN, how? ....from a Ping test.

Not sure.

Maybe someone with more knowledge about VPN's can answer. 

If timing the ping, an experiment to try would be, say you are in the USA, you could connect to the nearest VPN server, which would also be in the USA, and see if it connects.  Timing that ping would be difficult, because the server would be so close to you.  

I once had reason to email my VPN provider.  They have two servers in my home country.  I always used one of them.  One day, I couldn't access a site that I regularly use that geo blocks.  I changed to the other server and I could access the site.  I then went back to the other server and tested other sites and they worked fine.  I emailed my VPN provider and they told me it's most likely the site had blacklisted that server's IP address.  When I asked what happens if they blacklist the other one, I was told to contact them if that happened and they will look at refreshing their server's IP address in my home country.  

I think it would raise a red flag with the website if they saw 50 or 100 people accessing their website all from the same IP address, which is the VPN's, so it's easy for them to blacklist it.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Maybe someone with more knowledge about VPN's can answer. 

If timing the ping, an experiment to try would be, say you are in the USA, you could connect to the nearest VPN server, which would also be in the USA, and see if it connects.  Timing that ping would be difficult, because the server would be so close to you.  

I once had reason to email my VPN provider.  They have two servers in my home country.  I always used one of them.  One day, I couldn't access a site that I regularly use that geo blocks.  I changed to the other server and I could access the site.  I then went back to the other server and tested other sites and they worked fine.  I emailed my VPN provider and they told me it's most likely the site had blacklisted that server's IP address.  When I asked what happens if they blacklist the other one, I was told to contact them if that happened and they will look at refreshing their server's IP address in my home country.  

I think it would raise a red flag with the website if they saw 50 or 100 people accessing their website all from the same IP address, which is the VPN's, so it's easy for them to blacklist it.  

Yes, that is a realistic scenario as to what happens. Eventually they identify a range of IP addresses from VPN servers and block them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, that is a realistic scenario as to what happens. Eventually they identify a range of IP addresses from VPN servers and block them. 

When blocked, the VPN provider changes their server's IP addresses for that country, usually after some customer complaints, and the whole game starts again. 

For me, I tend to use a VPN from a smaller company, so their server's IP addresses are not used so much by people around the world.   

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, KhunHeineken said:

When blocked, the VPN provider changes their server's IP addresses for that country, usually after some customer complaints, and the whole game starts again. 

For me, I tend to use a VPN from a smaller company, so their server's IP addresses are not used so much by people around the world.   

Me too. Trying to use a relatively obscure VPN. My VPN provider has been great and changed server IP' s and upgraded servers. Also I found Open VPN worked, but I haven't looked into it. My VPN provider is going to change the physical location of the host country server but told me that it may not work for 7 and 10 as well. 

Really don't understand 7 and 10 blocking outside access as at this time they need all the viewers they can get. Crappy programming any way.

There must be a way around it as Net TV has all the channels without a VPN. Buffering though.

There also must be a player that can assemble all a program and you can watch it later after the event without buffering. Haven't looked into it though.

On 8/21/2020 at 1:38 PM, carlyai said:

Me too. Trying to use a relatively obscure VPN. My VPN provider has been great and changed server IP' s and upgraded servers. Also I found Open VPN worked, but I haven't looked into it. My VPN provider is going to change the physical location of the host country server but told me that it may not work for 7 and 10 as well. 

Really don't understand 7 and 10 blocking outside access as at this time they need all the viewers they can get. Crappy programming any way.

There must be a way around it as Net TV has all the channels without a VPN. Buffering though.

There also must be a player that can assemble all a program and you can watch it later after the event without buffering. Haven't looked into it though.

My last resort for a VPN is usually my own VPN.  Many modems these days allow you to set up a VPN so you can tunnel to it from anywhere.  This VPN never fails, because you own it, and it's just for you, but it can be slow sometimes. 

I can do this because I maintain a modem and internet subscription in my home country, but you could easily arrange with friends or family back home to set up one as well, especially if you are happy to contribute to their internet bill every month. 

Likewise, my last resort for streaming is my slingbox, which is also attached to this system, which requires no VPN.  It's a very handy piece of kit.  Very good in places like airports, where WiFi is shared between so many, but it also works on 3G and 4G. Slingbox host the stream, and I think they buffer it, so it's sent to you as a smooth stream. 

It's near perfect on internet with good upload and download speeds.  No ongoing costs after you buy the box, but obviously they need an internet connection, so once again, some may need to arrange this with friends or family.    

Here's their website.  

https://www.slingbox.com/

i used to watch nothing but my Slingbox, but after Foxtel Go and the other Free To Air channels made their apps, I stream directly from Foxtel and from the channel apps, but the Slingbox is a great backup and almost never fails.    

4 hours ago, KhunHeineken said:

i used to watch nothing but my Slingbox, but after Foxtel Go and the other Free To Air channels made their apps, I stream directly from Foxtel and from the channel apps, but the Slingbox is a great backup and almost never fails.    

I also used to be able to use Foxtel Go (I have a Foxtel subscription in Australia) via IPVanish, but a few months ago it stopped working, so I cancelled the VPN. 

What VPN are you still able to get Foxtel Go? 

19 hours ago, Lloydyboy said:

What VPN are you still able to get Foxtel Go? 

The way I read it is that he setup a virtual private network between his Thailand location and his own internet connection in Australia

On 8/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, KhunHeineken said:

My last resort for a VPN is usually my own VPN.  Many modems these days allow you to set up a VPN so you can tunnel to it from anywhere.  This VPN never fails, because you own it, and it's just for you, but it can be slow sometimes. 

I can do this because I maintain a modem and internet subscription in my home country

On 8/21/2020 at 10:38 AM, carlyai said:

I watch all the live and catch up Australian channels via Kodi addons. Works well and I use a Vpn sometimes and other times Smart dnsproxy.

Anyone using the Kayo Sports streaming service with a VPN here? It was running perfectly for me in tandem with ExpressVPN on a daily basis since January, then last week I suddenly got denied access. I assume Kayo have blocked all the vpn's current Australian servers. ExpressVPN support have said they will get me access again & their 'engineers are on the case', however I'm not holding my breath as they didn't give any time frame.

Edited by yabbra

On 8/31/2020 at 8:39 PM, tlcwaterfall said:

I watch all the live and catch up Australian channels via Kodi addons. Works well and I use a Vpn sometimes and other times Smart dnsproxy.

Great. Do you have a link or pointer to the correct Kodi addons?

22 minutes ago, yabbra said:

Anyone using the Kayo Sports streaming service with a VPN here? It was running perfectly for me in tandem with ExpressVPN on a daily basis since January, then last week I suddenly got denied access. I assume Kayo have blocked all the vpn's current Australian servers. ExpressVPN support have said they will get me access again & their 'engineers are on the case', however I'm not holding my breath as they didn't give any time frame.

Can you use your VPN with Windows? When I look at my VPN and Android, there seems way more servers to access using Windows. 

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Can you use your VPN with Windows? When I look at my VPN and Android, there seems way more servers to access using Windows. 

Yes I can, but it doesn't make any difference as ExpressVPN have the same amount of servers for Windows & the Android app (5). 

Edited by yabbra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

Great. Do you have a link or pointer to the correct Kodi addons?

I use the slyguy repository for live content. Aussie add-ons for catch up. Channels 7 and 10 have been removed as a result of demands from channels 7 and 10. They are still available on the net if you wish to get them.

Slyguy repo also has Foxtel Go and Foxtel Now, Kayo Sports, Stan plus AFL and NRL add-ons. Plus other add-ons that are worth looking at such as New Zealand IPTV amongst others.

Pm me if you need any assistance with repo addresses etc.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, tlcwaterfall said:

I use the slyguy repository for live content. Aussie add-ons for catch up. Channels 7 and 10 have been removed as a result of demands from channels 7 and 10. They are still available on the net if you wish to get them.

Slyguy repo also has Foxtel Go and Foxtel Now, Kayo Sports, Stan plus AFL and NRL add-ons. Plus other add-ons that are worth looking at such as New Zealand IPTV amongst others.

Pm me if you need any assistance with repo addresses etc.

Tried the Slyguy repo, and it works fairly well for the free to air channels, but you need Aussie VPN.

Didn't try for extended period, so don't know how reliable they are, but they worked well for the time I tried them. Channel Seven and the other 7's worked, but 10 was geo blocked

Australia VPN is of course an extra cost, which you don't need with IPTV.

Couldn't find the catchup you mentioned, and the Fox go and Kayo and AFL/NRL addons you need a subscription, which again you don't need with IPTV.

• Like 1