Tour bus driver escapes death as jack collapses while he makes roadside repairs

webfact

Tour bus driver escapes death as jack collapses while he makes roadside repairs

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Rescue services were called to an area outside a puncture repair shop on the Ban Bung bypass in Muang district of Chonburi after a tour bus collapsed onto its driver. 

Somrit, 50, was trying to repair a component of the shock absorber system of a double decker tour bus.

The rescue foundation found him crushed in the wheel well. A thirty minute operation using a crane got him out.

First aid was given then he was taken to Chonburi Hospital. 

Somrit's wife Samran, who also works on the Ubon - Korat - Rayong service, said that the shock absorber had developed a problem and they had been looking for a repair shop. 

They didn't find one and her husband decided to stop at a puncture repair shop and borrow their jack to do the repair himself.

It collapsed, crushing him and nearly killing him. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-07-28

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Jack collapses .! Was it set on a solid enough base to lift a double decker .. Was the jack rated to lift that weight ? only a truck tyre repair shop would normally have those .. jack's for lighter vehicles like cars and pickups won't lift safely .. the jack also has to be positioned correctly and safely otherwise the laws of gravity will initiate .. looking at that pic' he was a lucky lucky boy to have survived  .. 

How about the jack pierced the rust rotten bus and collapsed almost killing stupid driver.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grumpy 4680 said:

I really don't see what repairs can be made to a shock absorber, other than having a replacement.

If the mounting is broken of the shock one can weld it or if the mounting bold is broken one can weld it  . Done before .

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, sammieuk1 said:

Surprised this lucky man has never heard of a chock also surprised to hear you can repair a shock absorber whilst attached to a 10 ton bus ????

Correct term is axle stand, and one normally remove the shock absorber and replaces it as they can't usually be repaired by guys on the side of the road.

I'm guessing that he used a car jack, and not one large enough for a bus.

On 7/29/2020 at 12:22 AM, digger70 said:

If the mounting is broken of the shock one can weld it or if the mounting bold is broken one can weld it  . Done before .

You can do anything but it doesn't mean one should. No way I'd trust a welded bolt on a bus shock. Not like they are expensive to replace.

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You can do anything but it doesn't mean one should. No way I'd trust a welded bolt on a bus shock. Not like they are expensive to replace.

One can and should if there's not a New one Where one is and and Have to drive to a Destination .

Than Have to Order/wait for a new one.Right?

2 hours ago, bodga said:

duh first jack it  up 2nd  stick axle stands under it, axle  stands  are  not  lumps  of  wood or  blocks dummy

Nah they are bricks, perhaps he used those weak breeze blocks!

On 7/28/2020 at 4:27 PM, grumpy 4680 said:

I really don't see what repairs can be made to a shock absorber, other than having a replacement.

c'mon, that's easy! 

stick tennis balls in all the spaces between and betwixt the coil spring spirals.

19 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

c'mon, that's easy! 

stick tennis balls in all the spaces between and betwixt the coil spring spirals.

Not sure where they can find tennis balls when even a suitable jack is not to be found.

On 8/1/2020 at 3:44 PM, digger70 said:

One can and should if there's not a New one Where one is and and Have to drive to a Destination .

Than Have to Order/wait for a new one.Right?

In that situation OK, but replace soon as possible. No one ever died because the shocks were not working ( far as I know ).

However it needs someone that can actually weld, and doesn't think sunglasses are OK for arc welding.

On 7/28/2020 at 7:22 PM, digger70 said:

so you expect  A THAI BUS DRIVER TO BE  qualified welder and have welding equipment on the bus?????!!!!

45 minutes ago, essox essox said:

so you expect  A THAI BUS DRIVER TO BE  qualified welder and have welding equipment on the bus?????!!!!

No, One could've stopped at an Mechanical Workshop somewhere Couldn't one ? 

There Are Drivers that are Mechanics and Can weld .

Maybe even some Thais? 

They would be Smart enough to stop at the Right place and do a Temporary Fix  :jap:

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In that situation OK, but replace soon as possible. No one ever died because the shocks were not working ( far as I know ).

However it needs someone that can actually weld, and doesn't think sunglasses are OK for arc welding.

Ha ha ,Yea seen that welding with Shades, One said, Cannot see with Helmet. 

I said Fritz u .