Pattaya: Beaches are packed for the long weekend - media posts picture of it deserted!

webfact

There were many people in Pattaya on the long weekend. Jontiem was packed. Tried to go to the seafood restaurant at the end of Jontiem beack but gave up. Too much traffic. BnB next door full of uni students for 3 days. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The beaches/water are the cleanest now that they have been in 15 years.

I have gone several times clean smell and enjoyable.

But if a person has a scared/paranoid mentality, best to stay home.

Cleanest now that they have been in 15 years...hell,s bells what was the water like then....it,s still filthy....clean smell and enjoyable....with all due respects sir you need to take your dark glasses off :sad:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, murraynz said:

I swim at Dongtan beach reguarly.

Likewise,have never had a problem.

Seconded. Over all of my regular visits to Thailand before the China virus, I would have swum hundreds of times at Dongtan beach, Jomtien, with never a problem. Used to love swimming the length of the long line of floats, but last time I was there most of these floats had been removed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rascalman said:

I was just in Jomtein and I would not say packed at all!

In this Sat-Tues 4-Day extended long weekend, traffic had started picking up on Saturday.  Can still find occasional parking spots on Saturday 

Sunday and Monday were the peak period.  Long line of traffic in entire stretch along Jomtien Beach road in both directions on Saturday and Sunday. 

Tuesday morning,  they started packing for the return journey,  by Tuesday afternoon most had been on the road heading out town.  Tuesday evening,  all return to normal. 

Under the Thai travel pattern  ?   

The forum photo 5 days ago showing bumper-to-bumper traffic to Pattaya was purely BS for the fools. 

7 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Why would anybody go to the beach there? Last time I swam in the filthy water in Jomtien I caught a skin disease! 

Each to his/her own. 

I have swam in Jomtien Beach and Dongtan Beach a number of times already.

Have swam in about 20 beaches all over Thailand as well.   OK for me. 

Yet NOT once had I swam in Pattaya Bay.    

18 hours ago, ppppjjjj said:

Here's a photo I took yesterday (28 July) in the evening looked busy on Pattaya beach outside of Central Festival, most people and especially Thai's won't go onto the beach in the mid-day sun, so it's easy to take a photo of an empty beach if you want to portray this. Yes blurry photo as zoomed it.

20200727_184219.jpg

Why do I not see a photo?

I went the other way - to BKK.  Came back early to avoid the traffic on Sunday.  Bad idea!  There's only ONE services area on the motorway thanks to Family Monopoly game.  Both lanes into the services were jammed causing a 10kms tailback.  Instead of opening jails for tourists there's room for at least TWO more Service areas on this stretch.  Of course those owning the only one will not allow any competition.

It is back to normal today i.e. deathly quiet on the beach. There seemed to be a lot of hotels that re-opened especially for the weekend and one can only imagine that future weekend bookings made them think it worthwhile doing so. Even if that is the case, businesses cannot survive long on 2 or 3 days a week revenue, heavily discounted at that.

21 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Maybe not foolish, but it sounds like paranoid and scared.

The beaches/water are the cleanest now that they have been in 15 years.

I have gone several times clean smell and enjoyable.

But if a person has a scared/paranoid mentality, best to stay home.

Nah, was cleaner during pandemic of 2011... oh wait, there wasn't one. Paranoia is unreasonable fear. Considering how much sewage has been dumped into the bay (except for recently, due to shutdown), not swimming is reasonable. I wish I had that photo of the brown yuck flowing into bay taken from high building from some years ago.

It may be safe now. The toilet has been flushed and no new <deleted> going in.

1 hour ago, champers said:

businesses cannot survive long on 2 or 3 days a week revenue, heavily discounted at that.

I think the "government" has a cunning plan  to make every weekend  a 4 day weekend ????

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

I would suggest most of the "over-pricing" was due to the rents being demanded by Thai landlords.  

I would suggest the "over pricing" is because foreigners who come here [like any other country] do not know the normal prices/value of food/drink etc etc, and the currency exchange value of the money. Thais have always taken advantage of that fact and have over inflated the price.

On 8/3/2020 at 6:06 AM, hotchilli said:

I would suggest the "over pricing" is because foreigners who come here [like any other country] do not know the normal prices/value of food/drink etc etc, and the currency exchange value of the money. Thais have always taken advantage of that fact and have over inflated the price.

Sure, that happens, but who owns most of the businesses catering for westerners here, westerners do, and who do they owe money to every month, a Thai landlord.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

BS.

Really?

So rents have nothing to do at all with what business owners have to charge their customers for goods  and / or services?  

Question:  Two bars are side by side in the same Soi.  One Thai landlord charges 50k baht a month rent, the other Thailand landlord charges 80k baht a month rent.  One bar is selling beer at 60 baht a bottle, and the other bar is selling beer at 90 baht a bottle. 

Can you guess which Thai landlord owns which bar?   

????  ????

Edited by Leaver

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Question:  Two bars are side by side in the same Soi.  One Thai landlord charges 50k baht a month rent, the other Thailand landlord charges 80k baht a month rent.  One bar is selling beer at 60 baht a bottle, and the other bar is selling beer at 90 baht a bottle. 

Can you guess which Thai landlord owns which bar?

So both bars are OWNED by Thais... which was my point... NOT westerners.