Certificate of Residence - What are required documents?

I am engaged to a Thai woman who owns a home here.  I have a Retirement Visa and want to get a drivers license.  I understand that in order to title the car and get a drivers license  I need a Certificate of Residence.  What are the required documents?  Do I need a rental agreement between her and I? If yes, can I just draft something off the internet? 

Hi,

im not sure about the documents but i dont think you need anything to get a driver licence. Your retirement visa should be enough. If you want the car on your name, yes you need residence (again not sure if the yellow book would be enough or not). No rental document needed as the house is your wife's. 

A lawyer or agent can do all for you in few days for some extra bucks.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 2

Depends on your local immigration office.

I think in every office you will need the usual passport copies, copy of a TM30 receipt and 1 or 2 photos

Some offices (for example Chiang Mai) want to see further proof that you really stay there, a rental contract with house book copy would be accepted, but instead of a rental contract it should be sufficient if your wife just writes on a piece of paper that you stay with her at her house. Just call them and ask what exactly they require.

• Like 2

The OP isn't married.

Rather than I post link. The requirements are very clear in Google search. 

Such as photo, lease, photocopy pp detail page etc. 

You certainly will require RC for a driver's licence. No way around that

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on a retirement visa/extension of stay.  Just before renewing my drivers license last year here in Bangkok I got a Certificate of Residence from CW immigration in case it was needed by my local Land Transport Office since many now require it. 

CW immigration only required a copy of my passport and used the address I wrote on their certificate of residence application form.  No drama.  But that was CW....can't speak to other immigration offices. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jackdd said:

Depends on your local immigration office.

I think in every office you will need the usual passport copies, copy of a TM30 receipt and 1 or 2 photos

Some offices (for example Chiang Mai) want to see further proof that you really stay there, a rental contract with house book copy would be accepted, but instead of a rental contract it should be sufficient if your wife just writes on a piece of paper that you stay with her at her house. Just call them and ask what exactly they require.

If staying with a gf/wife, copies of her blue housebook and ID is normally accepted. Some kind of proof of address is needed, otherwise immigration won't issue a Resident Certificate. 

OP, IF you have carried out a 90 day report (recently) you can get a Letter of Residence from Immigration. 

It may be useful to take your GF’s ID and some from or written rental agreement. 

You may not have done this during Covid-19, but the Immigration offices are now open gain for this purpose. 

Alternatively, you can use any Utility bill with your name on (i.e. Mobile Phone bill etc or a Rental Agreement that you can draft yourself) and sign an Affidavit notarised by your local Embassy - this will be the Affirmation of Residence document. 

You will need either a Letter of Residence OR and Affirmation of Residence to obtain a drivers license. 

IF you already have a Yellow Tabien Baan (yellow housebook) and Pink ID card you don’t need the above documents (letter of Residence or Affirmation of Residence).

Note: Depending on your Amphur office, obtaining the Yellow housebook is simple process or it can be convoluted - the requirements are individual to the Amphur Office. 

FYI.

I'm in a process of applying for my second 5 years driving and riding licences at my province DLT, within 3 months in advance before licences expires.

New regulation doc requirements, a certificate of residence is needed in order to obtain or renew.

Get a official letter of request from DLT, then proceed to IO to apply for the residence certificate. It's neither free or 500B (without offical receipt), depending on your area IO.

After only obtaining the said certificate, then return to DLT (2 sessions, am/pm) with other passport pages & required docs) to apply for the new driving licence. 

Hope this will helps. 

On 7/28/2020 at 5:39 PM, DrJack54 said:

The OP isn't married.

Rather than I post link. The requirements are very clear in Google search. 

Such as photo, lease, photocopy pp detail page etc. 

You certainly will require RC for a driver's licence. No way around that

Not if you have a yellow book.

Surely if you are here on retirement visa, then you have a permanent address hence the 90 day report, therefore it should only be necessary to produce your passport at immigration with maybe copies.  I have done it only with passport.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:23 PM, problemfarang said:

Hi,

im not sure about the documents but i dont think you need anything to get a driver licence. Your retirement visa should be enough. If you want the car on your name, yes you need residence (again not sure if the yellow book would be enough or not). No rental document needed as the house is your wife's. 

A lawyer or agent can do all for you in few days for some extra bucks.

Whether you need a residents certificate from Immigration depends on the DLT office where you are applying for the driving licence it can vary from office to office.

My local office in Chiang Mai Province require the certificate but at the head office in Chiang Mai City they will accept the pink ID card in lieu of the certificate.

On 7/30/2020 at 8:22 AM, brianthainess said:

Not if you have a yellow book.

Maybe some IO's, but in Pattaya/Nongpalai DLT they require Cert of Res from immigration.

They do not recognise Yellow Housebook (no if's or buts). This is after I talked with the DLT staff 9 hours ago.

Of course the irony is that I use my Yellow book to clarify my address for the Cert of Res...just more paperwork and a lot of time wasted.

SO ONE OTHER IMPORTANT POINT FOR PEOPLE RENEWING 5 YEAR LICENCES.

It is only by appointment now, cannot just turn up anymore. If you go this week to make an appointment (taking all the required docs and Cert of RES) it will be sometime in October when you will be required to attend. If after next week, they will stop appointments for a while and the next chance will be in December or January.

This info is also from today.

---------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Maybe some IO's, but in Pattaya/Nongpalai DLT they require Cert of Res from immigration.

They do not recognise Yellow Housebook (no if's or buts). This is after I talked with the DLT staff 9 hours ago.

Of course the irony is that I use my Yellow book to clarify my address for the Cert of Res...just more paperwork and a lot of time wasted.

It is only by appointment now, cannot just turn up anymore. If you go this week to make an appointment (taking all the required docs and Cert of RES) it will be sometime in October when you will be required to attend. If after next week, they will stop appointments for a while and the next chance will be in December or January.

Is this just for Pattaya, or does it apply everywhere?

where are you going to go to get C of R??

if JomtienSoi 5 there is "an office" on the left habdside there that will photocopy all what you need....make sure you take a utilty bill as proof of where you live....

OK

Edited by essox essox
wrong spelling

24 minutes ago, essox essox said:

where are you going to go to get C of R??

if JomtienSoi 5 there is "an office" on the left habdside there that will photocopy all what you need....make sure you take a utilty bill as proof of where you live....

OK

A utility bill used to work if it was in your name, but I'm not that sure if it's enough now. The last time I got a RC I needed either a copy of my rental contract or copies of my owners house book and ID as proof of residency.

18 hours ago, couchpotato said:

I WILL POST THE LISTS OF DOCUMENTS NEEDED FOR ABOVE:

1) Certificate of Residence

-Passport

-2 pix

-Passport copies of Face page, Visa/Extension page, last entry stamp

-Address proof (I used Yellow Housebook)

-Complete the application form (obtained from front desk)

-300 baht, and wait approx 45 minutes

2) Drivers Licence application for extension or new licence

-Passport

-Signed copies of Face page, Visa/extension page,

last entry stamp, TM6 entry

-Residence Certificate from Immigration

-Copy of current licence (both sides)

-A few papers to sign and write telephone nbr

The Drivers Licence appointments are about 2-3 months after your application is lodged. (My application today--appointment in late October.

Remember this is for Jomtien Immigration and Pattaya/Nongpalai DLT. I do not know about other areas.

Hope this helps a lot of you.

*****Mods...this info might be worth keeping somewhere, as it is 100% updated as of today.

Edited by couchpotato