Bangkok restaurant refusal to serve foreigners goes viral – VIDEO

snoop1130

Couple of years ago in Hong Kong I was in a same hostel with a girl from California, she didn't really look very Asian to me but I guess one of her parent was Thai so she had both Thai and US Passports. I wonder would they let her stay in a restaurant?

She said when she went to Grand Palace In Bangkok they got angry because she was trying to get in for free showing them her Thai Passport but didn't speak Thai language.

13 hours ago, Yinn said:

What about the Egypt guy? And African girl? Two week ago. 

They have covid.

safety first. 

Not scared.

Worry. How I know? Maybe it Logosone, Dr Tuner, ionsone, etc.

1 in 6 not full baht.

Sorry Yinn, (or whoever you may be)

But sometimes I think you just answer to <deleted> off people. Like many Thais your comments mostly make no sense at all. Just back from the funeral, nobody in the village was afraid of me while many people in CNX turn around or put a mask the moment they see me. Some days 300 people arrived at our place, no masks only the people on duty, a bubble like this would be illegal in the West. Hope nobody got infected, many however have dengue at the moment in that area. Came here already in the 80 and 90 ties, in those days we, Farrang, where the cause of aids, remember.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Could be that it is a Student bar and they had problems with retired Westerners going to the bar just to look at the students and drink one beer all night long ?

Whatever floats your boat, mate.

1 hour ago, tribalfusion001 said:

And that makes it right. I've had some great nights at this place with Thais, but if I wanted to go again I would not be welcome. Luckily I'm not in the country.

Good your not in Thailand to start a protest and burn the place down. Stay where you have rights and avoid places that don't appreciate your business.

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

This is in back area of a supermarket shopping center and not near any schools or near any Westerners or main road.

I had a room in Ladphrao for around 3 years and didn't see many farangs or tourists there.
Was a great time ...????

I don't see this a big deal. If they only want to serve locals, then so be it. This is then the place where locals afraid of foreigners can go to. Surely Anutin's "dirty farang" mouth had part to blame, but it also shows to a point what Thais really think of foreigners. Let's face it though, this is far from being Thai only problem. Nationalism is on the rise the World over, which is evident from the rise of the far right across the West.

Let them have their own place in Lad Phrao (hardly a touristy spot) and go somewhere else. Of course, when all of this is over and they start welcoming foreigners, you skip that place as well.

6 minutes ago, 0815 said:

I had a room in Ladphrao for around 3 years and didn't see many farangs or tourists there.
Was a great time ...????

I think I stayed there much longer than you and it was actually more pleasant than where I moved (where it's a blessing now that borders are closed). Nonetheless, at The Mall Bang Kapi there were always westerners and middle-easterners seen. Quite many live around Lamsalee junction. Also around Ram university area like Soi Mahadthai you'll find many foreign teachers. OK, I moved out of there a while back so I can't say for right now but at least there used to be quite a few foreigners there.

13 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

How do they manage to eat and drink whilst wearing a mask ?

I used to wonder about that on my trips to Dubai when I'd see the women sitting down for a meal with their face covered. So I watched and saw that they swiftly lift their veil for a second, stuff something in their mouth and then drop the veil again. Pathetic really, but useful during a pandemic. And I guess that answers your question.

There could be reasons other than covid19 for not wanting foreigners. Thais are much more concerned about personal hygiene and bathing, that's lacking with some foreigners, they might find foreigners loud and aggressive, and complain too much. I too share these concerns and avoid places frequented by foreigners. I've never been refused service but am clean and well groomed. I would never be the one (like the video idiot) to force myself on anyone else.

This was a rude YouTube scam to make a few baht.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Evenkeel!

I`ve had that experience many times in Japan over the years.

"Sorry, only japanese", from the bouncer. I know why they doing it.

Japanese get very emotional when they are drunk and singing karaoke.

They don`t want westerers to see that (i.g. loosing face). Anyway, once

I talk my way in to an establishment, claiming I just wanted a beer.

They let me in. Sat at the bar, never looking at the emotional singer.

The bartender offered me another beer after the first one, seeing that

I was not a threat, and I had a great time there. 

13 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Hey come on guys just move on, I have here for 25 years I speak good Thai and many times I have been sat somewhere and listened to the <deleted> from the next table and when I go I say something nice to them in Thai as I walk bye,

Yes, anti-foreigner sentiment isn't new. Born out of ignorance, but because they are ignorant they have no idea that they are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

In a sad way this has provoked some strange reactions. Obviously this premises is/was  not such a popular or well known venue for foreigners. Yet now come declarations of determinations  to  not  visit where they  never did anyway!

There are many instances of "house rules" applied  by business operators. Dress codes, age requirements (not  necessarily a legal requirement) and other  quirky etcs.

A Place of Business is NOT a public place or space. A Proprietor surely has the right to specify entrance as per preference as notified outside. Demanding entry in defiance would be not much different to asking  same at someones residence in order to use some facilities even if offering to pay !

Nightclubs  have  Bouncers at the front door. It might peeve some that they are refused entry due to some unspecified criteria but is there any validity in debating that "discrimination" ?

If a Restaurant operator feels that foreigners are a dispensable factor as customers then so be it.

I think there was less noise  about the Public  Bus Company  refusing  foreigners at one point in recent time !

13 hours ago, Yinn said:

What about the Egypt guy? And African girl? Two week ago. 

They have covid.

safety first. 

Not scared.

Worry. How I know? Maybe it Logosone, Dr Tuner, ionsone, etc.

1 in 6 not full baht.

Sorry, but if want safety first can you please tell the authorities to have the Thai citizens who are boarding the repatriation flights that they must also have a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hrs of the flight like all of the rest of us foreigners coming back on the repatriation flights.  What good is it for me to have a negative test if the guy a couple of seats over has not been tested and is carrying the virus?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1